Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)- Mtbr.com
    FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008

Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)

I wanted to share some pictures that I took last night while riding Mahalo with the wife. It would seem that moto-tards have decided that it's their new favorite place to ride. Riding up was like watching some one you care for get beat up and there was nothing you could do about it. I really don't understand what would be so appealing for a moto rider on that trail. Anyway, several of the (wonderful) switchback/berms have been rutted up. The dirt has been turn from good alpine soil to a fine moon dust (that I doubt even the narly-ist 3.0 DH tire could do)[ Almost every small climb (that you might need to give a little extra twist on the throttle) has been hammered. Just sickening. Is there anything we can do?
    Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)-mahalo-damge-6.jpg
    An awesome rut dug into a corner. Sweet!
    Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)-mahalo-damage-7.jpg
    Weren't there actually a couple of logs here?
    Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)-mahalo-damage-8.jpg
    Another sweet, sweet rut courtesy of your local moto rider.
    Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)-mahalo-damge-4.jpg
    Size large glove next to an even larger rut.
    Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)-mahalo-damge-5.jpg
    I think everyone can gets the idea.

These pictures were only a few of the many spots that have been hammered by the motos. Seriously, is there anything that we can do about this?
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

jalepenio jimenez

more love/hate

the signage on that trail is somewhat ambiguous: motorized closure at one end behind gate (which they seem to disregard,) but the other end is wide open to them, the rest of the ride out being pre-existing motorized trail.

leaves me wondering of the status of that trail...or at what stage this thread will probably get yanked...
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    yep they were coming in from the far end and now I have noticed more and more of the throttle heavy ruts at both ends of the trail since they have a nice wide path around those two trees at the top. just sayin

if its not totally trashed by the end of the season it will be fun for awhile again in the spring!

I like bikes!
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I rode Mahalo with Buddha last week, and he was definitely upset about the damage. The big downed logs at the end of the trail (before it connects with the existing moto trail) were supposed to have blocked the motos, but of course they just chainsawed them out. The only thing that's going to prevent the motos from accessing Mahalo is a nice big gate or other permanent anit-moto obstacle at that end of the trail (or both ends). Buddha indicated that it's our job to put something in place to do this, but it hasn't happened yet.

mtbr member
    on what non-saturday are people up for building the obstacles? I've been wanting to get up and ride this trail and do more trail work. wife owns all saturdays though.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Dream a little dream

Something worth fighting about (The rape of Mahalo)-692326331_wwuqj-xl.jpg

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    How about putting in a nice sized teeter-totter? Or a ladder bridge switch back. Or maybe a whole bunch of punji sticks spaced about 2.51 inches apart? Just some ideas...
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtnjam
    or something like the trail corral at Upper Hulls trailhead, wouldn't take more than an auger/cement and some iron or fencing
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The same thing happened on Sinker Creek a few years ago when some quads trashed the area near the creek junction. The next weekend we were up there with shovels and pulaskis making the trail right. The week after that R2R made the "no motos on this trail" status more apparent. The week after that we located a token quad rider and had a couple of pipe-hitting brothers get medieval on him with a blow torch and some vise grips.

Have you noticed that moto riders are overweight? That's because they have that extra chromosome they have to carry around.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

blet drive
    yes we do need some sort of singage up there to keep the motos out. It is to good of a trail to loose to them.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

jalepenio jimenez

bike trails are.....for bikes

I really don't think it will become one of their favorite trails, but if it's open to moto's, they'll take advantage of it and ride it every so often, probably more exploratory than anything.

just as we all love bombing down our favorite moto trail (think Eagle's Nest or Trail 4), brakes squealing, eyes open wide, and adreneline coursing through our veins, they don't seem to be very retaliatory and ride our much slower trails when they've got their own high speed trails to rip on.

last time I rode Mahalo, I rode east on the Gardner mtn moto trail for a half mile just to turn around and rip back down to the saddle. made the ride back up more enjoyable.

speed. love it.

adreneline. crave it.

endorphines. can't live without 'em.

synergy. makes it all happen...in a good way.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Juste on more thing on the to do list

The "H' shaped barriers are under construction and should be done next week. We just need to get some strong back to help get the lower barrier into the end of the trail.

It's partially our fault for not blocking it sooner or at least putting up a sign. I have been looking for a big dead tree toward the end of the trail to use as a barrier but there just isn't one. Now it looks like we will need to put in a real structure.

Although it's frustrating, it is just dirt which will be back to normal with a little trail love and some rain.

Mike e.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Minor

I rode there today and really don't think these ruts are from motos. The damage is minimal and I'd wager it's from poorly skilled MTB pilots washing out in the talcum powder soil on the edges of the trail we get this time year. A moto would leave much greater & deeper ruts that what I saw today. If it is from motos, I saw no other tracks so at least it was limited and not a convoy.

Regardless, I'm glad there will be some barriers and/or signage soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mahalo Motorcycle

If Mahalo is Gardner Peak (and I think it is), I was going down it last Sunday (7/25/10) around 10:00 AM with two other riders and there was a guy on a motorcycle going up, really spinning the back tire. We were below the switchbacks, but we could hear him really gunning it there. As you say, the signage is a little vague so we did not feel comfortable berating him. We went over to Hard Guy/Fast Guy and down, not sure where the motorcyclist went.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby1
    If Mahalo is Gardner Peak (and I think it is), I was going down it last Sunday (7/25/10) around 10:00 AM with two other riders and there was a guy on a motorcycle going up, really spinning the back tire. We were below the switchbacks, but we could hear him really gunning it there. As you say, the signage is a little vague so we did not feel comfortable berating him. We went over to Hard Guy/Fast Guy and down, not sure where the motorcyclist went.
    Yes there had definitely been a motorcycle on lowest section of the trail. It didn't look like he went very far though.

Lurker
    Mar 2008
    Regarding these pics and some people assuming this was the bad moto guys.

Those do not look like moto tracks and likely breaking tracks from DH bike. A moto could be guilty of that too but that is my opinion since I ride dirt bikes often. It would probably help the trail "pack down" too with a few motos in there lightly treading after rain. Notice how nice the moto trail is for mtn bikes as you get to the Peace Rock by ridge road? There is a reason it is such a good trail.

Those logs look “rotted” in the picture so anyone could kick down that log to dirt with a strong shoe. Regarding the “chainsawed” logs: These aren't obstacles for dirt bikes or difficult for them to get over or around. They are easy to get over hence, I believe someone cut these out for mtn bikers by a mtn biker. Any dirt biker with a chainsaw mounted on a dirt bike isn't going to cut a simple fun obstacle like this. Reality, a friendly sign will discourage any moto guys from going in. Most people that ride those moto trails by Bogus are beginner moto riders because this terrain is very limited and boring compared to what good moto riders ride. Anyone that spins or revs thier engine hard is a beginner because those trails require very little skill. I'm sure someone was exploring on a dirt bike for the first time. I mtn bike 3-4 days a week and ride to work daily.

mtnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by ijustski
    Regarding these pics and some people assuming this was the bad moto guys.

Those do not look like moto tracks and likely breaking tracks from DH bike. A moto could be guilty of that too but that is my opinion since I ride dirt bikes often. It would probably help the trail "pack down" too with a few motos in there lightly treading after rain. Notice how nice the moto trail is for mtn bikes as you get to the Peace Rock by ridge road? There is a reason it is such a good trail.

Those logs look “rotted” in the picture so anyone could kick down that log to dirt with a strong shoe. Regarding the “chainsawed” logs: These aren't obstacles for dirt bikes or difficult for them to get over or around. They are easy to get over hence, I believe someone cut these out for mtn bikers by a mtn biker. Any dirt biker with a chainsaw mounted on a dirt bike isn't going to cut a simple fun obstacle like this. Reality, a friendly sign will discourage any moto guys from going in. Most people that ride those moto trails by Bogus are beginner moto riders because this terrain is very limited and boring compared to what good moto riders ride. Anyone that spins or revs thier engine hard is a beginner because those trails require very little skill. I'm sure someone was exploring on a dirt bike for the first time. I mtn bike 3-4 days a week and ride to work daily.
    I gotta agree with you M on the trail not being torn up by motos. I know you and D ride very well and also many others. After riding up at Bogus on Sunday I'm pretty sure the photos of the trail "ruts" and corners with moondust on them were from mountain bikes, there was a nice layer of moondust on the DeerPoint singletrack along with plenty of braking washboards and trail washouts. Thanks for the berms
    Just ride down there and jump off something for crying out loud...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    I gotta agree with you M on the trail not being torn up by motos. I know you and D ride very well and also many others. After riding up at Bogus on Sunday I'm pretty sure the photos of the trail "ruts" and corners with moondust on them were from mountain bikes, there was a nice layer of moondust on the DeerPoint singletrack along with plenty of braking washboards and trail washouts. Thanks for the berms
    The trail damage is most definitely from motos. I was up there on July 29, shortly after there had been rain -- the deep tire tracks in sharp-turn and/or steep sections were far too wide to be mountain bike tires. I encountered four motos on the trail; their leader claimed to own land in the drainage below Gardener, and apparently likes to do "the loop" frequently on his moto. Seems like he should've known better then.

mtbr member
    Ok, the damage is done now let’s do something. Mahalo dumps out into an moto trail, with no sign or gate, so it’s gonna happen, can’t blame them. Wasn’t there supposed to be a plan for a gate at the bottom of the trail? What needs to happen to make this done? For the record, I am volunteering my time and labor. I have the tools and skills to easily fab up a steel gate. Maybe even a cool trail sign…how bout it.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The materials for the gates have been purchased and hopefully will be constructed by this weekend. I've been out of town and just now working on the non-motorized signs. It will all happen soon.

I'll post a notice on this thread for those interested in lugging in a metal gate. I'm also sure there will be beverages involved post gate work.

Thanks,

Mike e.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    I'll post a notice on this thread for those interested in lugging in a metal gate. I'm also sure there will be beverages involved post gate work.
    In.

Well, the beverages part. Just wanted to clarify.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this information, count me in on helping. I’ll try to watch the board for an update on this. Sent you a PM also.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    The materials for the gates have been purchased and hopefully will be constructed by this weekend. I've been out of town and just now working on the non-motorized signs. It will all happen soon.

Thanks,

Mike e.
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

Members who have read this thread: 0