Somebody hurt- Mtbr.com

Thread: Somebody hurt

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Somebody hurt

Was just coming down Buck's Tail from Shane's on a night ride, saw and heard a number of fire engines and ambulances heading up to the lower end of the freeway. Went up Military Reserve Connector, life flight went over head pretty low. Went up to the junction of Freeway and Kestral just as life flight was landing about 3/4's of the way down Kestral. Went over to one of the ambulance drivers, all he knew was it was a mtn biker down, and the injuries were bad enough for life flight. Went back to my vehicle at Fort Boise and came home. I hope that who ever it is, it is not as serious as it looks - say a little prayer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Pretty Scary....

I happen to be one of the bikers that came up on the crash just seconds after it happened. Looks like the gentlemen's front skewer came off while he was heading down the access trail. I believe his name was Don, age 46. He was knocked out, face mostly in the dirt, moaning for some time. Eventually gained conscienceness, but was complaining about lower back pain. Life Flight from St. Als eventually showed up. Hope he is alright!

Jan 2005
    Holy crap, I guess maybe I should check to make sure my wheels are securely attached to my bike, especially with my tendency to gravitate towards the ground more than most bikers...

Aug 2004
    Wasn't the reason Geoff crashed on his Salsa road bike a while back because of a skewer that wasn't on tight enough??

Dumb question of the night....why the need for Life Flight in such a close location or is that the norm for accidents in the Foothills?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes I believe that did happen to Geoff for that reason and it looked nasty. Make sure your skewer is tight! But it doesn't need to be So tight that you can't open it, just some decent resistance when you close it

King of the Barneys
    That was a wake-up call. Last night at the start of the Barney rides, we checked the skewers, etc., to make sure everything's relatively secure. AND, ran into Dank on his new bling-bling bike, where he was working the kinks, (or should I say, sounds) out of it. Beautiful piece of work, for sure.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Wasn't the reason Geoff crashed on his Salsa road bike a while back because of a skewer that wasn't on tight enough??

Dumb question of the night....why the need for Life Flight in such a close location or is that the norm for accidents in the Foothills?

No dumb questions here. It depends on the extent of the individuals injuries. Where, putting him on a back board/stokes litter and walking him out to 8th St. will cause more damage and or possibly death, then a quick pick up and short flight to the hospital is the order of the day.
    Ride the bike.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Paying $50 a year for a Life Flight membership is one of the smartest insurance-like things a mountain biker could buy. A 15 minute flight in one of those things would otherwise bankrupt you.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Paying $50 a year for a Life Flight membership is one of the smartest insurance-like things a mountain biker could buy. A 15 minute flight in one of those things would otherwise bankrupt you.
    Yeah I'm on my second year with my Air St. Lukes membership. Had a couple of old climbing buddies get themselves into a bit of a pickle at Jump Creek and Borah and they had to get airlifted out and both of them didn't have St. Lukes at the time and their parents forked over alot of $ in the end. Luckily both of their parents were well off.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Holy crap, I guess maybe I should check to make sure my wheels are securely attached to my bike, especially with my tendency to gravitate towards the ground more than most bikers...
    Yeah, should be normal pre-ride routine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Yeah, should be normal pre-ride routine!
    Yep. I've found that some QRs and disc brakes don't play well together. I had Salsa QRs on a bike with disc brakes, and at the end of every ride the front QR was always a lot more loose than when I started the ride. I switched to a Shimano skewer, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

I've used Salsa skewers (including the ones that had the disc issues) on bikes with rim brakes, and never once had an issue with them.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Air St. Luke's

Was it Life Flight (St.Al's) or Air St. Luke's (they're the closest hospital to the North End). My friend is the Air St. Luke's Membership Coordinator, so I have their services. I'm not sure how that works, but if you're unconscious and someone calls the other hospital, the one you don't have an air transport with... Guess I'll call the friend and report back.

edit: The 911 operator, after determining if the accident warrants air transport, calls either Air St. Luke's or Life Flight. How do they determine? Flip-flop. If Life Flight was called most recent, then Air St. Luke's is next. They rotate.

And you are not charged if the other air ambulance picks you up if you have membership with the other.
    Last edited by danK; 10-25-2006 at 11:21 AM.

Aug 2004
    dan --- I have Air St. Luke's and if I have to use Life Flight to get my fat ass airlifted, my membership covers that. Both Air St. Lukes and Life Flight have air ambulance partners in a couple of western states (central/northen California, Oregon and Wyoming).

Now if you got effed up in say Moab......uhhhhhh you *might* be screwed.....ya' know...I wonder if it would be smart (if you traveled alot) to get air memberships in other states or do you have to be a resident of that state in order to get those benefits?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Now if you got effed up in say Moab......uhhhhhh you *might* be screwed.....ya' know...I wonder if it would be smart (if you traveled alot) to get air memberships in other states or do you have to be a resident of that state in order to get those benefits?
    Seems like the easy solution is to not crash.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    That was a wake-up call. Last night at the start of the Barney rides, we checked the skewers, etc., to make sure everything's relatively secure. AND, ran into Dank on his new bling-bling bike, where he was working the kinks, (or should I say, sounds) out of it. Beautiful piece of work, for sure.

CDB
    Found the sound: the pads. One must have been contaminated. All is silent now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Saw Tom Ritchey get airlifted from Porcupine a few years back on a trip with DirtDart, thing he hurt his foot or leg. Anyway, back to the present: does anybody know how this person is doing?

mtbr member
    Hope he's okay. Here's an interesting article on disc brakes and QR skewers:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames...quick_release/

I know I'd never use a Ti front skewer on a disc brake bike but this suggests any skewer is a bad idea. Didn't one of the site administrators have a bad wreck last year do to a Ti front skewer coming loose?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I did have a wreck in April '05 on my road bike as a result of my skewer opening during a ride. I hadn't checked it before the ride and didn't notice any play or looseness in my front wheel during my ride. As I went to hop the curb on Hill Road to go onto the old part of Hill (to the cemetary), my front wheel fell out and I landed on my chin. Luckily, it was a very slow speed crash and I didn't break anything or lose any teeth - took 9 stitches to close my chin and a few visits to the oral surgeon to re-set my out-of-whack jaw. I was running Bontrager wheels at the time with standard Bontrager QRs. I did notice, however, that the carbon Salsa fork on my road bike had pretty much nothing in the way of lawyer tabs, which are supposed to prevent the wheel from falling out in the event of the QR opening unexpectedly. After the crash, I replaced the skewers with a set of "locking" QRs I found on Supergo. Nary an issue since. I was VERY lucky to not have broken my neck.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pike Maxle!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    So... how many of you crispy critters put the QR lever on the disk side of your fork and how many put it on the other side of your fork?

Similarly, how many of you crunch berries have keyboards with nubs on the "F" and "J" and how many have nubs on the "G" and "H"? How many don't have nubs at all?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    So... how many of you crispy critters put the QR lever on the disk side of your fork and how many put it on the other side of your fork?

Similarly, how many of you crunch berries have keyboards with nubs on the "F" and "J" and how many have nubs on the "G" and "H"? How many don't have nubs at all?

My nubs are on the F and J.

With disc brakes I prefer to run the front skewer on the drive-side, so that I don't burn the crap out of my hand touching the rotor by accident while fixing a flat. However, depending upon the fork and skewer combo, it's not always possible to run the skewer on the prefered side. Same can be said of bikes with "breezer style" rear dropouts: Shimano skewers (and any other QR that has a side mounted lever) and these dropouts don't always work well together.

For disc brakes, I think any of the side-mount QRs (i.e. Shimano-stye) are prefered to the cam-lever QRs (i.e. Salsa-style).

King of the Barneys
    As I recall, your membership is supposed to be reciprocal with other states. I've had a family membership for the last few years, and need to check my paperwork, but think it's good anywhere in the U.S.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Yep. I've found that some QRs and disc brakes don't play well together. I had Salsa QRs on a bike with disc brakes, and at the end of every ride the front QR was always a lot more loose than when I started the ride. I switched to a Shimano skewer, and it's been smooth sailing ever since..
    Yup. If you ever took the time to notice as you zoom past me, my bling-bling bikes all have Shimano skewers. You just can't argue against great engineering.

Members who have read this thread: 0