Somebody altering Rock Island trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Somebody altering Rock Island trail?

Haven't ridden up there in a while, but someone mentioned to me that rocks that make up the main trail have been moved, and that some brush or a lot of brush has been piled up on some sections of said trail where no brush should be.

Please let's keep Rock Islaands trail unaltered. A good example is moving of brush onto alternate lines that could jeapordize the main trail; but whoever might be trying to change or sanitize the main trail, please stop

let freedom ring!
    Darryl,

I ride that trail probably twice a week. I haven't noticed brush or rocks on the main trail.. When I was riding a couple of weeks ago I met someone that was involved in putting the trail together ( I wish I could remember his name) this person was working with RR so I assume him to be a good source of information. I helped him move some rocks and pile brush on to "alternate lines" that I had always assumed were the normal ways around some of the obstacles. He pointed out to me that they were not suppose to be there and then showed me the correct lines. I think alot of people who ride Rock Island that were not involved in the construction of it (like myself) dont know the correct trail from the trails that keep popping up. Now when I meet someone new on the trail I point out the intended lines and inform them of the need to not create new ways around obstacles.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

gringo-fied facsimiles

Zuh?!?!

I am the mentioned guy on the trail that day, and Al, Carey, Ryan, and 4 demons busted our asses to fix and show people the PROPER route through the obstacles. There are two and only two ways through the rock island trail. In light of this latest post I will be up on rock island thursday morning before work to make sure there are no NEW lines being made. I beg, plead, and forcefully bang my fist on the desk in frustration, DO NOT alter the trail........if you cant ride the two designated lines, STAY OFF!!!!!!!! These and other trails are desihned to be more aggressive, they are posted with trail markers to tell you this. If riders continue to alter rock island it will be shut down!!! This should not be taken lightly. If there is a rock, chunk of sagebrush, or a post stuck into the ground, dont move it and dont ride there. Its really simple people!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or witness any alterations of rockisland.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

aaarrrggghh!

Well put!!

Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator
    I am the mentioned guy on the trail that day, and Al, Carey, Ryan, and 4 demons busted our asses to fix and show people the PROPER route through the obstacles. There are two and only two ways through the rock island trail. In light of this latest post I will be up on rock island thursday morning before work to make sure there are no NEW lines being made. I beg, plead, and forcefully bang my fist on the desk in frustration, DO NOT alter the trail........if you cant ride the two designated lines, STAY OFF!!!!!!!! These and other trails are desihned to be more aggressive, they are posted with trail markers to tell you this. If riders continue to alter rock island it will be shut down!!! This should not be taken lightly. If there is a rock, chunk of sagebrush, or a post stuck into the ground, dont move it and dont ride there. Its really simple people!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or witness any alterations of rockisland.
    I couldn't have said it better. Surly put in tons of time on the original construction of the trail and seems to have in a way, with others, adopted this trail to make sure it maintains its original integrity. He knows the route and has placed debris and other material on sections that are not supposed to be ridden. I for one commend him on his efforts and appreciate someone showing everyone else the WAY!

Daryl, if you come on out and pitch in on trail days you to can have a sense of ownership on some of these trails and take pride in maintenance and upkeep. Thanks.

let freedom ring!
    Hey, Surly.

Good to hear you chime in. And thanks for your efforts on Rock Island. When is the next time you will be riding it maybe I can meet you up there.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

mtnjam
    After working on RI that day I now know what the right lines are. The aforementioned "alternative" trail is not even a trail. Hopefully the trail runners and MOUNTAIN BIKERS don't keep widening the alternate lines around the brush. If you don't know the line, there's no pride lost in walking it first to see where the lines are. It's like skiing, if you don't know a line you approach it cautiously and assess the situation.

Please don't ruin our hard work! Why don't you try pulling and throwing dusty/burnt sagebrush on to the trail and you'll understand why we don't want alternate lines being formed. Please let the places covered with brush regrow over the winter (yeah with cheatgrass )

Thank you!

gringo-fied facsimiles

well mr. get lost.....i hope you dont.....

get lost that is. You my friend are practicing PROPER trail using edecate(sp?). Next ride at rock island depends on the weather, the soil on table rock is one of the last to dry after a good rain like we have had this last week, needs a couple days of nice weather to dry. I will PM you if I feel the urge.
    And to MR. Terrible..... georgezilla and I would like to again thank you and MRS. Terrible for those killer enchiladas, I am still farting them out.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    farts are good. it is a form of turbo boost and alternative communication.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    You beat me to the reply!!!

I think the demons miss you and Georgezilla's Yorkie sacrifice!!!

That aside.

Darryl- Surly (aka Yorkie Scarficer #1, Garnet, Ryman, Impdude, and I have spent a lot of time on RI place those barriers. R2R walked it with me about 2 weeks before we all got together and asked us up to keep an eye on the threading up there. We've spent a lot of time doing that work. If you want to do trail work, join me and the merry band of trail gnomes & demons next time I post a trail work day. I've posted quite a few, and Formica was even nice enough to give us a stick so everyone can see them more easily now.

Please don't do trail work unless you get the approval of the appropriate land managers.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Etiquette...........to acknowledge what Ivan said - I wanted to respect what the trail buiders did, the work they put in, as I appreciate this trail very much! True I didn't do much work, I came out on one or two workdays, but that was after most of the rock work was done. I'll try to make more trailwork days as I can.

I only posted the original post as an approved response to someone who mentioned their concern to me - so I am glad to see the positive response here!

I hope to ride up their again soon actually (when rideable) maybe with Surly, Ivan, Lost, etc). thanks!

dirt enthusiast

velociraptors........

i miss the demons! we need to go make more little girls cry

such spirited children....
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

Don't worry, be happy!
    Maybe you need to post one of these ( from Post Canyon)
    Attached Images Attached Images

aaarrrggghh!

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Etiquette...........to acknowledge what Ivan said - I wanted to respect what the trail buiders did, the work they put in, as I appreciate this trail very much! True I didn't do much work, I came out on one or two workdays, but that was after most of the rock work was done. I'll try to make more trailwork days as I can.

I only posted the original post as an approved response to someone who mentioned their concern to me - so I am glad to see the positive response here!

I hope to ride up their again soon actually (when rideable) maybe with Surly, Ivan, Lost, etc). thanks!
    I hope my post didn't sound too harsh and sometimes my memory is poor. You have helped out and your help is always appreciated. Thanks for caring about our trails and hopefully we can get a pedal in soon. Let me know when your going to be out there again.

Members who have read this thread: 0