Solo Night Ride = Cougar Chow?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Solo Night Ride = Cougar Chow?

I live near Terra Nativa / Castlerock and occasionally go for solo night rides on Table Rock or walk my dog on the ridge at night.

My neighbor across the street found part of deer in his backyard on Saturday morning. The front part of the deer, from the belly forward. The back half of the deer was nowhere to be found. He called Fish & Game to notify them and remove the carcass. Sunday morning the front half was gone, but it wasn't F&G that removed it.

Coincidentally another neighbor noticed some large kitty prints in the mud behind her house on Saturday.

We have coyotes in the neighborhood, but they are usually really noisy. I'm also not sure that they can rip a deer in half and cart off the remains stealthily.

So, I'm assuming that (deer/2)+paw prints = cougar.

I think I'll curtail the solo night rides and dog trots until the bigger animals head for the hills.

HH

Hi!!!
    Knowing my luck, some damn Cougar out there will be hungry for some BelaySlave adobo.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Somebody bend me over and call me Betty. There are no cougars. They're all extinct - gone the way of the dodo bird, the passenger pidgeon, the wooly mammoth and parachute pants. It was all part of a plot by "the corporations" to subdue the earth and make the masses bland. "The corporations" have got kids so messed up on Bud Light and football these days that "the corporations" can light up some warlord in Somalia and the kids wouldn't even give a rat's sphincter. So go out and ride, ride brotha, rise above and ride.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Somebody bend me over and call me Betty....
    Hey, Betty - Stand up straight so I can ask ya a question, would ya?

Are you saying my favorite pants aren't totally b1tchin any more?! Dang!

Yeah, I'm sure the lights and the noise of the bike would keep my imaginary pets at bay. A buddy of mine described my dog perfectly when he referred to it as a Golden Retard, though. Dang critter can't even figure out how to fetch me a Bud Light! It's him I worry about.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Just don't spray the Golden Retard with Eau d'Venison....or put antlers on him...and you should be fine.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

King of the Barneys
    My LAST solo night ride was followed up the next morning by Flip emailing me photos of a big-a$$ed cougar that was spotted that night within a quarter mile of yours truly....

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    bear spray if you worried. just have it close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double H
    I live near Terra Nativa / Castlerock and occasionally go for solo night rides on Table Rock or walk my dog on the ridge at night.

My neighbor across the street found part of deer in his backyard on Saturday morning. The front part of the deer, from the belly forward. The back half of the deer was nowhere to be found. He called Fish & Game to notify them and remove the carcass. Sunday morning the front half was gone, but it wasn't F&G that removed it.

Coincidentally another neighbor noticed some large kitty prints in the mud behind her house on Saturday.

We have coyotes in the neighborhood, but they are usually really noisy. I'm also not sure that they can rip a deer in half and cart off the remains stealthily.

So, I'm assuming that (deer/2)+paw prints = cougar.

I think I'll curtail the solo night rides and dog trots until the bigger animals head for the hills.

HH
    If you go night riding, always go with someone slower than you...

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    and spray them with Eau d'Venison and make them wear antlers on their helmet....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smoking39
    bear spray if you worried. just have it close.
    Good luck with that

Members who have read this thread: 0