So, it's mid-March.....how's Pipestone!!??- Mtbr.com
    jones'in

So, it's mid-March.....how's Pipestone!!??

Anybody been out to Pipestone in the last week or two? I've got a fever.....and the only cure is ...... riding my bike. I think I might head to Pipestone from Bozeman this weekend, but I'd skip it if someone knew that it wasn't ready to go.

Thanks!
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Pipestone

Let us know if you make it over there. I've been thinking about it as well but haven't yet made the foray. Maybe tomorrow if it doesn't snow. I'll post if I make it out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what about Lewis and clark caverns?

mtbr member
    I'd like to know too? I was going to post a thread similar.

mtbr member
    following this thread as well. i've never been to pipestone before but i'm told it's about the only decent riding until late may. i've found a blm map online of the area, trails i should mark as the better rides? thanks in advance for any info

mtbr member
    I rode Lewis and Clark yesterday. The first few minutes of the climb were dry. Then when you got up higher into the trees there was mud. There were a couple places with some snow where we had to walk our bikes for a short ways. But once you got to the top going down it was all dry. It was a blast, fast and fun. Don't go if you don't want to get your bike dirty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stn112
    following this thread as well. i've never been to pipestone before but i'm told it's about the only decent riding until late may. i've found a blm map online of the area, trails i should mark as the better rides? thanks in advance for any info

I drove up to the trailhead today on the way home from West Yellowstone just to get a look-see. The road on the approach was still wet in spots, the first parking lot (by the RR tracks) was reasonably dry with no snow to speak. Weather depending in the next few days it might be worth trying by the weekend. Might be. I'm sure though that depending on how deep you get in there you'll find some snow/ice. For sure it'll be awhile to not end up with a muddy rig.

As far as what trails to ride you just gotta poke around or go with somebody who knows the area a little. There are way too many options for a verbal description to do you right.

jones'in
    Did they get the snow that we got in Bozeman today?

About finding trails.....:
    If you're adventurous and have a decent sense of direction, you can wing it. There are a *bunch* of trails up there, but it can kind of be a maze. If all else fails, you ride south-ish until you hit the railroad tracks and then head east....you'll hit a road.

Otherwise, take a GPS or someone who's ridden there before.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=venom600]Did they get the snow that we got in Bozeman today?
    QUOTE]

It looks like they did. I was driving past there on my way home from Butte yesterday and it looked pretty snowy up high. Maybe the lower trails near the RxR parking lots are rideable but I'm guessing not much else yet.

rth009
    May 2010
    Keep posting these updates on pipestone and lewis and clark cavers please. The Rimrock/Zimmerman Park trails in Billings were in great shape last week, but they're probably pretty soggy again after the storm and more precipitation is expected.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I didn't have time to ride the trails but I did drive past the RxR trailhead up to 4 corners and did do a quick jog a couple hundred yards down the RxR trails yesterday. While I'm sure you would find "variable conditions" I think it's probably rideable as long as you don't mind hiking a little and/or hosing your bike off afterwards. I'm hoping to get out there this weekend or monday at the latest. I'll keep ya posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Any update on conditions? Thinking of heading down this weekend as Helena is 'almost' there...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Pipestone conditions 3/31

Not nearly as good as I had hoped. I went for a run there today starting at the RR xing parking lot. First 2 miles were dry and had my hopes up but once I got above ~5300' it got muddy then snowy. If you don't mind hike-a-bikes and/or are ok with staying on roads you'll fare better but bottom line is there is still a bunch of snow there.

Xerobasix- just how "close" is Helena? I know that last year I was riding in Pipestone a good month before Helena was rideable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Haven't checked all the South Hills but Davis Gulch was almost completely snow free 2 weeks ago... also Scratch Gravel is pretty clear. I'll probably peek the Ridge this weekend, but I heard it was still bad. I took tomorrow off to explore and will ride a lot of the trails this weekend and give updates.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stn112

could you post where you found that BLM map? never been there but im driving through the area next week and hoping to get a few rides in. thanks

mtbr member
    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial.../Pipestone.pdf requested link for BLM map. have at it.

Members who have read this thread: 0