Sluice Boxes and bears- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sluice Boxes and bears

Anyone out there ever ridden the trail that goes up the Sluice Boxes State Park near Belt? I headed there Tuesday to give it a try. A real nice hot day, that was good because there are many creek crossings. About a mile into it I come around a corner and spook a small bear. It took off in a hurry. A little farther up the trail I come across some people who turned around after seeing a bear with blood all over its face, they figured it must have been on a fresh kill. So I decided I better turn around too. Coming back down I see another bear, this one a big one, off on the hill side. So anyway the section I rode was nice and I guess it goes up Belt Creek for about 7 miles, a very nice trout stream. Next time I ride this I'll bring the bells, the dog, and my fly pole.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Try yelling and screaming as you ride down the trail. You might sound crazy, but you probably wont see any bears. A freind rides with a piece of plastic from a bottle attaced to his frame that hits the spokes. Noisy as heck but it warns the critters ahead.

Members who have read this thread: 0