Singlespeed Guru's in Boise?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Singlespeed Guru's in Boise?

Can anyone suggest a SS mountain bike guru at any of the Boise bike shops---- I am in need of a chain tensioner system. Also, my chain tends to skip periodically when I am mashing up a hill.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In general it seems like the people running Rennen Rollenlager chain tensioners have had the least amount of trouble. You may still need to run a half link. The nice thing about the Rennen is it allows you to run it in a push up mode so you get more chain wrap. This might help your chain skipping issue.

Try sending Flipnidaho a personal mail. I bet he can help you out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm curious as well about a decent tensioner. I'm considering converting my wife's old K2 hard tail to SS.
    Idaho

mtbr member
    I second Buddha's recommendation... Go with a Rennen Rollenlager if you can't find a magic gear... I've also had great luck with the ghetto eno system to go tensioner-less but I wouldn't do that to anyone's bikes but my own (it's easy to screw up a wheel with a ghetto eno)...
    As far as LBS SS gurus, go to Jason B. at the George's on Front or Patrick W. at the George's on Fairview... They both SS and have done a number of conversions as well.

Speaking of Boise SS riding... Here is our newest addition... The maiden was yesterday...

blet drive
    ghetto eno system? ohh do tell and i need more input
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5
    ghetto eno system? ohh do tell and i need more input
    Ghetto Eno = shaving the axle to give a few mm's of fore and aft movement. This in combination with a half link maybe enough to go tensioner-less... It's easier with a rim brake since you can royally screw up your rotor position if you don't file the same amount of material from both sides and at the same exact plane...

It makes for a clean conversion but voids the crap out of your hub and may not be safe...

oops...
    I've got a Rennen tensioner that I don't really need anymore -- only used for 2 or 3 rides...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Local mechanics

I would add John at Custom Cycles to the list of good local mechanics. In addition to Pattrick and Jason, John is one of the few mechanics I would let touch my bike. He has helped me work out a couple of complicated disc brake issues and was willing to take the time to look at all the possible solutions.

Before you go and buy a wheel tensioner, you might see if you can find the magic gear combo that works. Figure out the gear inches you think will work for your riding style and then try some combinations of front and rear gears that are close to the gear inches you desire. I believe there are some websites that will help you with the magic gear. If I have some time today, try and track the info done.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks Fella's

I'll look into the Rennen--- seems it may be what I need--- Also, thanks for the LBS mechanic recommendations--

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Alan @ Velomech

You may want to talk to Alan (the owner) @ Velomech down in Garden City. Alan is great to work with and knows his "stuff". You can also check out a pimped out Spot SS w/ belt drive while your down there!

Members who have read this thread: 0