Single Speed bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Single Speed bikes

so this is more of a cross country post, of course.
    so what is it about SS'ing that is so addictive?

is it that they're so light, or that you don't have to mess with gears, misshifts, chain suck, etc? Do "purists" still insist on rigid forks and V brakes? Do they still even make V brakes??? I used to run XTR V brakes, pretty darn good for V brakes

Hoops - Big and Small
    It's all about the ride baby - If you have'nt done it figure out a way to get it done, go ghetto and build up an old lady, she will love you for it.

If you want to take my Slinger for a spin it will kick your a$$. One hour of climbing on a SS equals two hours geared. Makes you work the terrain no takin breaks and loafin..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yeah I gathered that but seeing how fast almost every SS'er I know, climbs, I suspected that at least part of that was due to lack of weight, a good thing. Yeah I'd like to have a go on the green baby sometime. I saw a sweet Surly frame (green) at Jenson USA.

Can't do this now, but even tho I didn't get my dirt bag I still want a freeride and a single speed. I am a baby when it comes to freeride or jumping, but all healthy baby's grow!

Anyway, looking forward to the ride tomorrow. You are coming right?

mtbr member
    SS is a lot like running. Get on the bike (lace up the shoes) and go. Almost no maintenance required (I lube the chain once a month). I run hydros and a 5" fork however (after running SS rigid using a stiff, oversized AL fork and canti's for 10 years- my aging joints appreciate the extra cushion).
    Plus, it's a great way to recycle old HT's and old parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    yeah I gathered that but seeing how fast almost every SS'er I know, climbs, I suspected that at least part of that was due to lack of weight, a good thing. Yeah I'd like to have a go on the green baby sometime. I saw a sweet Surly frame (green) at Jenson USA.

Can't do this now, but even tho I didn't get my dirt bag I still want a freeride and a single speed. I am a baby when it comes to freeride or jumping, but all healthy baby's grow!

No, it's not from the weight reduction (My steel SS weighs more than my Fuel). It's more because you have no choice with a single gear. Either grunt it up or push... Having said that, I'm retrofitting another SS that I have for winter riding (19lbs).

Hoops - Big and Small

To late for me

I'll be spanking my Axolotl by 7:30am - This whole wait till it warms up thing I gave up on a month ago. Mentally I look in my closet and see winter gear - so I gear up. Last night I put in 35 miles on my road bike and came home with popsicle toes, time to break out the booties.

gringo-fied facsimiles
    Two years ago I owned a cannondale 1fg, I rode the crap out of it. If it wasnt for needing the cash at the time I would still own it. I learned alot riding a ss there mr.d. I got stronger cuz i was forced to ride that gear ( 33x19 ), because I only had that one gear, it forced me to be a better climber....i.e. pick a better line, you couldnt risk loosing any momentum. I have carried all this to what I ride today and am amazed at what I can ride up on a 40# beast. The coolest part about ssing was how quiet they are to ride, all you hear is the tires on the trail pounding out a rythmic beat. No chain slap, no rattlin cuz there was nothing to rattle. I am debating on anouther for the winter, thinkin on a 29r gf rig.......we'll see.
    Mr. D, I highly suggest trying one, I think you will like it.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If I didn't want to use the extra time to do wash, and get ready for my Thanksgiving trip down to California, I would just ride earlier, with you...

Hi!!!
    Daryl --- you may like the feel of my SS better than Bret's Slingshot since he is taller than the both of us. So if you want to take mine for a spin, you are more than welcome to. It's a ghetto conversion done by Gary. It's served me well so far. It's geared 32x20. V-brakes and a Manipoo Axel. Be careful though...my damn seat may go Brokeback on you since I haven't tightened it down yet (can't find my tools) . It's no weight weenie like some of the other SS's around here, but it's a fun ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Okay. Are you riding with us on Sat? If not we'll have to hook up and you can ride my spot if you like, although I doubt it's any better than your 575! Or maybe I can grab it from you sometime from REI or whatever. When do you work? I think I'd like to come in and buy something, it's been a while since I been in there and last time I liked the selection of cool "mountainy" styled street clothes you guys have, like shirts and pants.

Hi!!!
    Okay. Are you riding with us on Sat?
    Ehhh...what is this Sat. ride you are talking about? Are you guys heading out to Wilson? Sat. mornings and afternoons are usually dedicated to errands/chores. I *might* try to get in a road ride late in the afternoon, but I doubt it.

Sunday I will probably be out at Wilson Creek in the late afternoon if anyone wants to join me...just bring your lights since I plan on being out till 6:30 or 7pm.

Or maybe I can grab it from you sometime from REI or whatever. When do you work?
    I work all Tuesday nights in the back. And with the exception of this upcoming weekend and a long weekend trip to Hawaii the middle of next month, I'm working every effin' weekend into January. FUN!!

Just give me a couple of days notice and I'll make sure I get it to you somehow.

Hoops - Big and Small

Meet at the Toe!

[QUOTE=BelaySlave]Ehhh...what is this Sat. ride you are talking about?QUOTE]

High noon at Camel Crack - I heard through the rumor mill it's going to be a looong ride. Not sure if that means lot's o talkin, or a bunch of lung bustin ridin.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We're going to decide the track in the circle jerk pow wow. But, we've been talking about Fwy/Connector/Central Ridge/Shanes/Buck Tail/5 and 6/4/Hulls or Bobs - I prefer Bobs then forbidden love. I won't be able to keep up on the climbs at least, so hopefully someone will wait for me a bit!

mtbr member
    We're going to decide the track in the circle jerk pow wow. But, we've been talking about Fwy/Connector/Central Ridge/Shanes/Buck Tail/5 and 6/4/Hulls or Bobs - I prefer Bobs then forbidden love. I won't be able to keep up on the climbs at least, so hopefully someone will wait for me a bit!
    Forbidden Love (aka BJ) is not "open". There has been talk of getting this trail open to all users but so far, it's status has not changed.
    You must mean Bob's then the Golf Course trail or the Bench Trail off of Bob's.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    uhhh, yeah

Hi!!!
    Long ride...screw that. 10 mins into a ride and I'm hacking up a lung! . Gimme a spin on the Greenbelt and I'm happy.

Take pics!

Is dang happy!

yea all that..

so what is it about SS'ing that is so addictive?

is it that they're so light, or that you don't have to mess with gears, misshifts, chain suck, etc? Do "purists" still insist on rigid forks and V brakes? Do they still even make V brakes??? I used to run XTR V brakes, pretty darn good for V brakes
    If my girlfriend knew what I was doing to her bike she would be pissed Good thing the five miles of singletrack was submerged or snowy because it washed most of the mud off the bike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    D - There's no simple way to describe the beauty, pain and joy of a singlespeed ride in words. You just need to go do it; only then will you know.

As for parts, it's all personal preference. I like the feel of a rigid fork on a single, especially due to all the out of the saddle mashing that a singlespeed requires, but as flip notes, suspension sure does take the edge off. I run disc brakes on both of my singles, as I found long ago that discs are easier to maintain and tend to stop you MUCH better than v-brakes.

These days, I'd say 75% - 80% of my footies rides are on a singlespeed. In fact, I'm planning on doing our ride tomorrow sans gears. Should be fun.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    If you have to ask the question then you might not understand the answer.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

just a man
    Can't do this now, but even tho I didn't get my dirt bag I still want a freeride and a single speed.
    My buddy in CA just bought one of these http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ocog-29er.html for under $400. It's a 29'er too. Budget bike and Reeds shows as a Redline dealer....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Craig. I do like the 1x1 or Karate Monkey. Also saw the Instigator, what a great all around bike for urban and whatever (pump track). They are a smart company with good dessigns and I like their marketing
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    The idea of having a singlespeed has always intriqued me. For one thing, cross-country riding has started to bore me since i can just get into a granny gear and get up anything without much trouble. I think I would start doing those Hard-Guy to trail 4 runs again if i built one up. Also, I'm building up a Trek Session 7 which is gonna weigh in at around 40 lbs- which would justify the need for a light xc rig. Trevor should be building frames in the future, so I think im gonna get a frame from him and put some light stuff on it. I think ill run v-brakes and a rigid fork for the simplicity.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor
    Either ive got a lot of mud on my tire, or i'm hauling Kenne's ego

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ***************** and ******************* and the connector *****************

so there!
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-18-2006 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Did I see you hucking downtown at that dual freeride comp?

As the sun breaks, above the ground,
    An old man stands on the hill,
    As the ground warms, to the first rays of light
    A birdsong shatters the still.

His eyes are ablaze,
    See the madman in his gaze.

Fly, on your way, like an eagle,
    Fly as high as the sun,
    On your way, like an eagle,
    Fly and touch the sun.

Now the crowd breaks and a young boy appears
    Looks the old man in the eye
    As he spreads his wings and shouts at the crowd
    In the name of God my father I fly.

His eyes seem so glazed
    As he flies on the wings of a dream,
    Now he knows his father betrayed
    Now his wings turn to ashes to ashes his grave.

Fly, on your way, like an eagle,
    Fly as high as the sun,

On your way, like an eagle,
    Fly as high as the sun.

Artist: Iron Maiden.
    Track: "Flight of Icarus"
    Album: "The Number of the Beast". Circa, 1980.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah I think the new steel rigid SS forks probably offer a pretty good ride, and sublime climbing. I might hit one of you up today to let me have a go on a SS for a lil' bit

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Quote Originally Posted by *Icarus*
    Trevor should be building frames in the future, so I think im gonna get a frame from him and put some light stuff on it. I think ill run v-brakes and a rigid fork for the simplicity.
    Your actually going to trust a frame made by an amateur who probably doesn't know a darn near thing about engineering a frame? I sure as hell wouldn't....

Members who have read this thread: 0