Silver Mountain Trails- Mtbr.com
    Zero to drunk in $20

Silver Mountain Trails

Hey everyone, I'm going to be spending some R&R time in Kellogg Idaho with my wife and some of her family. I've been trying to find out as much as possible about Silver Mountain's downhill park but I've really only found some limited info. I've been looking at the trail map they have on their website and have some questions about the trails.

Is the green trail "Sierra Nevada Road" an actual dirt road? Or is it a trail?

What would we expect to see on the blues? Skinnies, drops, jumps? Would they have ride arounds or would features be mandatory?

I kind of want to gauge the gnar factor to see if it would be too much for my wife and father-in-law (They are both relatively new to mountain biking, we trail ride here in the puget sound and they are just stepping up to drops and whatnot.)

I expect to stay away from the black trails but I'm interested to hear as much as possible about the greens and blues.

Thanks

Zero to drunk in $20

Rentals

I'm also wondering if anyone knows if there is any bike rentals nearby. Silver Mountain does not offer rentals at all. The only place I've found nearby is Excelsior Cycle and they only offer cross country bikes (Giant Yukon FX.)

I'm starting to question if Silver Mountain really wants mountain bike business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've only ridden there once but remember the greens as mostly road. The blues were fast, flowy singletrack with nice berms - lots of fun. They might be a bit steep for a beginner/intermediate though. Didn't ride the blacks.

Coeur d'Alene might be the nearest place to rent a bike.

just a man
    Call SilverMtn ahead of time about bike rentals.

I rode for an afternoon last month. I'd recommend taking the Payday (Green) trail to Alhambra (Blue) all the way down. Jump on the blacktop Greenbelt ride back to the lift. I'll advise not taking Alhambra (Blue) immediately (from the top) unless you like a lame fireroad ride for 10 minutes to warm up on.....

Some of the switchbacks on Alhambra are nice, tight, and steep. The "Corkscrew" section has them back to back to back. A newer rider might find them pretty challenging.

Taking these trails in that sequence was really fun. No drops or ladders. Just a nice long flowy ride. Your hands will get a good workout I assure you.

Hope that helps. We had a blast, hope you do too.

Zero to drunk in $20
    Thanks for the info guys. I called Silver Mountain and they say that they stopped renting bikes this year.

The main issue is that I have a bike but my wife doesn't. And without local rental for her it sounds like too much of a hassle.

I found a shop in Coeur d'Alene that has a downhill bike for rent. The guy there recommended Schweitzer over Silver Mountain. I looked at the trail map and it looks pretty limited for intermediate skills, basically one trail.

I think we might bag the lift assisted riding. I was looking forward to checking it out, but we have plenty of road riding and other stuff to occupy us.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Schweitzer over Silver? Wow, not sure why they would do that. Silver has been building dedicated mountain trails, design by Joey Klein, for years. Schweitzer's options are very limited but it does have a better view from the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

With Formica

Silver has better riding options than Scwitz. IMHO - way better riding...

I don't have any basis for this other than observation, but I think Silver isn't focusing on Mt Bikes bacause since they installed the waterpark there is more $ to be made at the gondola base.... too bad, because they were really getting close to having a world-class mountain for bikes.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Cheesiest
    That's a bummer they're not renting bikes any more. We used to make pilgrimages from Missoula to ride Silver. I have some great memories of those trails

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Camping?

Does anybody know of any place to tent camp for free or cheap near kellogg? Im going to take a weekend trip out there sometime in the first couple weeks of August 2011.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S Dub View Post
    Does anybody know of any place to tent camp for free or cheap near kellogg? Im going to take a weekend trip out there sometime in the first couple weeks of August 2011.

Thanks!
    There are lots of places to camp nearby. For primative camping just go up big creek past the mine until you see a spot you like.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0