Silver Creek Pedal & Plunge- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Silver Creek Pedal & Plunge

Anybody go race the new KTS race up by Garden Valley on Saturday? If so, did you GPS the course? How was the course?

I had intended on "racing" (let's not pretend that I'd actually have been competitive), but opted to backpack instead. Is the course on public or private land? I'd heard of trails up by Crouch before, and had always wondered what the riding would be like up there. Any comments?

Mucho chalupa grande bueno tortilla chihuaha gracias.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Backpacking is for sissies. Unless you like John Denver.

Or stale nuts and dried fruit.

Or sh!tting in a hole.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    John Denver and a cat taking a dump.

I'm proud that this thread was derailed in one post.

Kudos to you, Mr. Crank.

And for your viewing pleasure....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Visicypher; 08-18-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: eeww. inappropriate content

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did it eventhough I knew I wouldn't like it. The down hill part of the course was stupid - you dropped close to 2,000 feet in a mile. Straight down in ankle deep dirt/sand - not a fun downhill. Then you get to the road and almost get taken out by 5 year olds (sans helmets) on ATV's.

The first part of the climb up was awesome - really nice single track - I would love to ride down that someday. The top part, 1/2 to 3/4 mile, was really loose and really steep - probably not too bad if you were just riding for fun and taking breaks, but was hard in a race.

saw a rider finishing with a warped rotor in their hand. not sure how that happened, but I know I need new brake pads after that descent.

I did have my gps, but I don't know how to put in on google maps. I'll post the profile when I get it downloaded.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I read the course description on the Broken Spoke site and found their GPS overlaid on Google. Sounds like my John Denveriffic backpack snack attack was better than any ol' Big Mac.

Now, back to more of what this forum is all about. Smoking crack.
    Last edited by Visicypher; 08-18-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: inappropriate content

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Did somebody say "smoking crack"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

GPS Info On Broken Spoke Site

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    ... If so, did you GPS the course? How was the course?
    A friend of mine raced it. She sent me to the Broken Spoke site, which has GPS tracks for the loops on Motionbased. Here's one of the links:

http://www.brokenspokecycling.org/Cr...reekexper.html

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    To quote my favorite politician: "The b!tch set me up!"

Peeps smoking crack. It doesn't get any better than this.

Fly fat ass fly !
    Quote Originally Posted by orfa
    I did it eventhough I knew I wouldn't like it. The down hill part of the course was stupid - you dropped close to 2,000 feet in a mile. Straight down in ankle deep dirt/sand - not a fun downhill. Then you get to the road and almost get taken out by 5 year olds (sans helmets) on ATV's.

The first part of the climb up was awesome - really nice single track - I would love to ride down that someday. The top part, 1/2 to 3/4 mile, was really loose and really steep - probably not too bad if you were just riding for fun and taking breaks, but was hard in a race.

saw a rider finishing with a warped rotor in their hand. not sure how that happened, but I know I need new brake pads after that descent.

I did have my gps, but I don't know how to put in on google maps. I'll post the profile when I get it downloaded.
    OH be careful .
    A guy got flamed for 3 pages cause he said there was lots of dust and loose sand at sun valley !
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I think any post that speaks badly of "our" trails should be edited for "inappropriate content."

My lord. Look how dusty my panties are.

John Denver flies the friendly skies!

Man shriek!!! Gaaak!!!
    Last edited by Earthpig; 08-19-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: adding inappropriate John Denver content!

mtbr member
    Hey Geoff, Alex here...the course is public, beautiful and yes the downhill is hard...if you go up and ride you could divert up top and continue on the motorcycle trail and head over to Deadwood, then come back down peace creek trail. The down hill is hard and loose, my first trip down it I thought about walking the hole thing, I questioned my skills, etc...this downhill is just nothing we practice, Steep and loose. A friend of mine who rides it very well told me to get my butt behind the saddle, lock up the rear wheel and control my speed with my front brake and ride down slow and as if I was skiing, just go with the flow...Well my second trip down the hill was a blast, and I could not wait to ride it again....practice makes perfect I guess

Good riding...Alex

Ohh, if you ride your SS if would be a good 32x20 climb...

mtbr member
    I totally agree with orfa. The downhill was insane! The climb up to the ridge on the single track was awesome, But the last climbing sections of the trail at the top were very loose and hard to maintain any riding flow. Riding thur the burnt forest from lasts year fire was cool. I managed not to crash or have a mechinal issue. So life is good.
    You may pass me on the uphill, but on the downhill, my gravity kicks in!

mtbr member
    we have a cabin on scriver creek, just down the road from silver creek, i'm really looking forward to tooling around up there when there isn't an event going on.
    Idaho dirt, river, sky

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by JButte
    A friend of mine who rides it very well told me to get my butt behind the saddle, lock up the rear wheel and control my speed with my front brake and ride down
    You have a lot more control if you don't lock up the rear wheel, hence why cars have anti-lock brakes so you can steer when you apply the brakes. Plus it is just bad form to lock up your rear wheel. Ride your bike not the other way around.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    If the choice is between totalitarianism and the eight years of simian rule we're coming to the end of, I'll take crack smoking and drinking my own bodily fluids. I hear bile goes well as a mixer with some Jack.

And a side salad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    You have a lot more control if you don't lock up the rear wheel, hence why cars have anti-lock brakes so you can steer when you apply the brakes. Plus it is just bad form to lock up your rear wheel. Ride your bike not the other way around.
    I totally agree with what you are saying...but when conditions demand it make the adjustment. I really did have good control of my bike.

BTW...how does a thread about a bike trail turn into a political rant??

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JButte
    BTW...how does a thread about a bike trail turn into a political rant??
    Two words: Twisted Crank.

(Alex - Thanks for the info. I'd like to get up there and ride the trails one day, but my racing days are far past. You can't take a bike to places like this.)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    agreed, there were sections on that downhill that I don't think are possible to ride without locking up the rear. You are really just surfing on the sand.

maybe it would be possible with more of a downhill bike, but I would be surprised.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    That's not a political rant.

Pfff. Not even close.

Don't you monkeys know that the needs of the state outweigh the needs of the individual?

Holy bikini-clad volleyball Olympian skank, Batman - what do they teach kids in school these days?

Members who have read this thread: 0