Sidewinder Rideable this week? Kestrel?- Mtbr.com
    King of the Barneys

New question here. Sidewinder Rideable this week? Kestrel?

Anybody know the conditions of a route that would probably include CB to Kestrel to Sidewinder?

Better recommendations for something close in?

Figgerd if it stayed dry, I would get the SS out and take advantage of what I hope will be dry trails.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member

Today's report

I was out today at 10 am and it was still frozen but starting to thaw quickly. I will probably need to get out there before 9 am tomorrow to ride it while it's still frozen solid as we haven't been getting very low-low temps in the evening for a super-hard freeze. The temps this morning when I went said 27 but y'know how the foothills are, once the sun hits it, it turns to gumbo....

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

I hear it's pretty muddy

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Anybody know the conditions of a route that would probably include CB to Kestrel to Sidewinder?

Better recommendations for something close in?

Figgerd if it stayed dry, I would get the SS out and take advantage of what I hope will be dry trails.
    CB - A buddy of mine rode in that general area Saturday AM and he reported finding very little frozen/firm stuff and mostly mud. We need some nice 'n cold overnight temps down in the 20's or teens to really get some frozen, rideable trails. I'd stick to Rocky Canyon Rd, 8th Street, or maybe Squaw Creek/Council Springs for now. Have you checked with Laprade to see how dry the Squaw/Council stuff is?

King of the Barneys

Gracias, but regarding Squaw,

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    CB - A buddy of mine rode in that general area Saturday AM and he reported finding very little frozen/firm stuff and mostly mud. We need some nice 'n cold overnight temps down in the 20's or teens to really get some frozen, rideable trails. I'd stick to Rocky Canyon Rd, 8th Street, or maybe Squaw Creek/Council Springs for now. Have you checked with Laprade to see how dry the Squaw/Council stuff is?
    GMan thought it would be a bit much to bite off with SS's right now. I have to agree. He also thought TR was too wet right now. I like climbing, but I would rather do something easy like that new(er) approach onto Curlews/Shanes from the police pistol range and just tool around up there.

I did 8th St 2 weeks ago on the SS, and I had forgotten how boring and long it can be....

Rocky Canyon sounds promising, and if the trails look rideable, guess we could always cut off.

Maybe I'll hike around Quarry and Tram and see if any of that stuff is rideable, unless any of the bretheren or sisteren know its condition already (?).
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's all crap now. I am sticking to Rocky.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

gumbo

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Maybe I'll hike around Quarry and Tram and see if any of that stuff is rideable, unless any of the bretheren or sisteren know its condition already (?).

Tablerock/Castlerock are gumbo, unless/until we get a hard freeze (or springtime, which may come first before more moisture!!)

mtbr member

Ran tonite...

the semi-dry trails are:
    Kestrel
    Half the freeway (becomes crap right before sidewinder)
    Connector to Military Reserve
    Elephants back...