Sheep Creek trail- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984

    Good job! Sheep Creek trail

    Went up to Twin Springs yesterday www.twinspringsidaho.com. It's about 25 miles up the middle fork road past Arrowrock Dam - about halfway to Atlanta. About 3.5 miles past Twin Springs on the middle fork road is a trailhead for Sheep Creek Trail, which goes over to Rattlesnake Creek and as far as Trinity Lakes. The first 100 yards of the trail is steep, loose and rocky. Then, the grade mellows a bit and stays sidehill, with some pretty steep exposure on the right side. I took a spur trail off the right after a mile that takes you back down and across Sheep Creek, but it petered out on the far side of the creek. If you stay on the main trail, it eventually crosses the creek from the north side to south side and gets into a rockier, burned timber area. Apparently, if you keep going up the trail, you cross a second bridge at Devils Creek, where you turn south and go uphill. Eventually, this trail will drop you down into Rattlesnake Creek. Apparently, the trail can be ridden as a one-way if you shuttle to either the TH on Rattlesnake Creek or at Trinity Lakes. I didn't get as far as the second bridge (maybe 5 miles up Sheep Creek?), but what I did ride of the trail was definitely fun - true singletrack with some fun rocky technical sections. There's lots of camping right on the middle fork road both before and after the TH, and you can always head to Twin Springs for a beer and a hot tub soak after!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    One happy Earthpig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,220
    Great pics! I've ridden those trails in years past, and it's always fun.
    Did you ride alone?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    767

    Sheep Creek!!

    I think that I was there once or twice without my paddle!!
    BoiseBoy

  5. #5
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    Quote Originally Posted by westin
    Did you ride alone?
    I did. Cinnoman monkey was supposed to ride, but he opted to stay at Twin Springs and get straight to the partying.

    How was the hillclimb?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    How was the hillclimb?
    I did not do it, and my excuse is up for the lamest of 2006: I was helping get the house ready for a family friend's baby shower. Buying roses at CostCo, pitted olives from Albertsons and setting up the new Samsung LCD 40" with surround sound (it was wired totally wrong for the first 24 hours) just so 20 hormonal and jealous women could enjoy Dish TV's soft jazz while eating brie. Truth be known, I forgot about the hillclimb until someone said "wow, you can see Bogus today." I think somewhere between the laying of new bark and cleaning the toilet my manhood was revoked.

    Looking at the results on george's site makes me realize I would have gotten my azz handed to me if the thought of being competitive came about.

  7. #7
    just a man
    Reputation: Bombin4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,849
    EP: Is that a new fork? I somehow remember seeing a Bomber in the past on that bike, no? And what was the deal with the GF - what prompted you to swap it for the inbred?

    Nice fotos...

  8. #8
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    EP: Is that a new fork? I somehow remember seeing a Bomber in the past on that bike, no? And what was the deal with the GF - what prompted you to swap it for the inbred?
    Well, new to me - '06 Pike 454 dual air U-turn I found used on the classifieds for significantly under retail. 140mm max travel at approximately the same axle-to-crown as the Zoke was at 130mm. Not as plush, but adjustable out the yin-yang - 110-140 travel, compression, rebound, + and - air; a man could go apesh!t with all those adjustments. I'm also digging the thru-axle - not as convenient as the QR, but the stiffness is worth the hassle. That, and the pound and half I dropped from the front end of the bike definitely improved the X's climbing characteristics. Now, I just wish I had the skills to justify that bike.

    I couldn't stand Ghris Fook's ridicule, so I had to get rid of the GF. Really, let's see - the Fisher had [email protected] for rear tire clearance (I'd rubbed both chainstays down to bare metal with the stock 2.2 rear tire), the EBB would never stay tight, the bike was a creak factory, and the Rigs have this nasty penchant for snapping at the top tube/seat tube junction. I already had the Inbred fork, so I just swapped frames. The Inbred also fits me a ton better and is a very nice riding steel frame. I'm a sucker for those skinny, lithe steel tubes. (Well, there's that and what somebody recently said about me being "tempermental" about my bikes, but what she really meant to say was "fickle." )

    The next new EP ride arrives tomorrow...

  9. #9
    just a man
    Reputation: Bombin4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,849
    Cool, I think you'll like the Pike. Did it feel weird to be on a geared bike again? And which bike will you bring to the pump track?

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544
    I looked at my map last night after reading this thread and have a pretty good idea of the route you may have taken. Doubt I'll be able to hit it this summer/fall, but it's definately someplace I'd like to explore next year. I'm assuming all the junctions are well marked?

  11. #11
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Cool, I think you'll like the Pike. Did it feel weird to be on a geared bike again? And which bike will you bring to the pump track?
    I've had the Pike for about 6 weeks now. It's not nearly as plush as the Zoke was, but I'll take the additional adjustability (especially the U-turn), the maxle, and the serious weight savings - I've got the X-5 built down to almost 31 lbs, and that's still with self-sealing tubes and 800+ gram tires. I still ride geared at least 1/2 the time, but that's soon going to change.

    Didn't you recently pick up a Pike?

    When's the pump track session? Maybe this weekend? What's the best kind of bike for the PT?

  12. #12
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    I looked at my map last night after reading this thread and have a pretty good idea of the route you may have taken. Doubt I'll be able to hit it this summer/fall, but it's definately someplace I'd like to explore next year. I'm assuming all the junctions are well marked?
    Well, it's only about an hour drive from Boise and plenty of camping nearby. I may try to get back up to Twin Springs again this fall and ride it further or do the shuttle from Rattlesnake Creek.

    As for marked junctions, I didn't expect the first junction about a mile in. From my topo map, I knew that the trail would eventually cross the creek and turn south, but I didn't expect to see a junction quite that early on. There was a signpost at that junction (pictured), but the sign facing the Sheep Creek trail was gone - the photo is of the back side of the sign, if you're coming up out of the creek.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30
    you were definitely going up the right trail. higher up that pass and it starts to come into an area with large granite monoliths and it eventually tops out in a nice forest area before dropping down the other side into little roaring river.
    i was hoping for a photo of sean's broken finger.

  14. #14
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    Quote Originally Posted by pstar
    i was hoping for a photo of sean's broken finger.
    Yeah, I've got a good shot of "Lefty" or "Two Finger Sean" or "The Claw" with his hand in a bag of ice. (I have a better one of you passed out in the chair.) As Vann would say, you have to get tweaky before dinner, right?


    Good thing is that only being able to grip the bar with one hand may slow him down a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Earthpig; 09-11-2006 at 09:53 AM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,209
    Really nice photos, Geoff. I would like to ride that w/ya this fall if poss

    thanks for posting!

  16. #16
    just a man
    Reputation: Bombin4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I've had the Pike for about 6 weeks now. It's not nearly as plush as the Zoke was, but I'll take the additional adjustability (especially the U-turn), the maxle, and the serious weight savings - I've got the X-5 built down to almost 31 lbs, and that's still with self-sealing tubes and 800+ gram tires. I still ride geared at least 1/2 the time, but that's soon going to change.

    Didn't you recently pick up a Pike?

    When's the pump track session? Maybe this weekend? What's the best kind of bike for the PT?
    I like the maxle too. Give a little lube/grease on that thing and pull it out about 20+ times and it gets easier to remove and replace. 31? Wow. My Coiler's a 40lber right now. I got the 06 426 (Coil) w/U-Turn and really like it. 95-140mm adjustability really helps for climbing and I dial it all the way down for the track.

    Yeah maybe a pump session this Sat, although I offered to assist lv2ride and Del_Taco with the design and formations of their tracks. What kind of bike is best? I guess it depends on who you ask. Some will say a bmx, some will say a SS fully rigid. My bro from Colo Springs rocked the snot out of it on Sat. on his Bullit. I just got a ht with a little bit of beef on it, more of a huck bike than dj though. I think the hardtail dj-type bikes would be best based on the lower center of gravity etc. Maybe you could bring a few from the stable and test them out to see what you like best?

  17. #17
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Yeah maybe a pump session this Sat, although I offered to assist lv2ride and Del_Taco with the design and formations of their tracks. What kind of bike is best? I guess it depends on who you ask. Some will say a bmx, some will say a SS fully rigid. My bro from Colo Springs rocked the snot out of it on Sat. on his Bullit. I just got a ht with a little bit of beef on it, more of a huck bike than dj though. I think the hardtail dj-type bikes would be best based on the lower center of gravity etc. Maybe you could bring a few from the stable and test them out to see what you like best?
    I might be able to get away for a short time on Saturday afternoon. I know exactly what bike sounds perfect for the pump track, but I won't have that one built for another week or so....

  18. #18
    just a man
    Reputation: Bombin4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I might be able to get away for a short time on Saturday afternoon. I know exactly what bike sounds perfect for the pump track, but I won't have that one built for another week or so....
    This is what I'll be spending most of my pumptrack time on. Crappy pic, sorry.



    Continuing the B4X Ghetto Mtb Legacy with great pride,
    -p4x

  19. #19
    King of the Barneys
    Reputation: CBro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    One happy Earthpig.
    Great pictures, EP.... way to get out and escape the smoke.

    CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    This is what I'll be spending most of my pumptrack time on. Crappy pic, sorry.


    Continuing the B4X Ghetto Mtb Legacy with great pride,
    -p4x
    *******! Now you owe me clean underwear.

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    103
    {and that's still with self-sealing tubes}
    Gotta go Stan's. man. Drop that rolling weight!
    Those are some great looking bikes you guys got.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.