Seriously looking to move to Idaho- Mtbr.com
    zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker

Seriously looking to move to Idaho

What is the MT bike scene like up there? We are currently looking at homes in Twin Falls and Star / Middleton areas. Love the state,, just don't know much about the cycling up there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, ID is a great to place to be a MTB rider! Easily some of the best riding in NA can be found here, all on thousands of miles of public singletrack.

Of course, picking a specific city to live varies the answer. With the exception of a few mountain towns and northern ID, the further you get away from downtown Boise the less access you have to MTB-specic/MTB-friendly trails. If you want to ride daily or multiple times a week, look closer to the NW, North & East sides of Boise. Star/Middleton are 30-45 min from the main trail networks. If you don't mind driving 1-2 hours to ride, riding seasonally or simply want to ride a few times a month Twin Falls would fine.

Ridge to Rivers Trail System

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    LoL ... yes, if you want easy access to great singletrack mountain biking, stick to Boise.

jalepenio jimenez
    ...post withdrawn for purely political dumb-ass reasons...
    Last edited by mudflap; 02-08-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    just youtube boise mountain biking and enjoy!
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)

mtbr member
    it is horrible here. hot dry summers. cold winters. sage brush. Too conservative. No city. The trails are too smooth, get muddy in winter and don't have enough wooden features. (in other words, it is not somewhere else.) Come out here and enjoy it. It is not whistler, NYC, LA.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    There is no riding in North ID. Stay south.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Thanks all for the feedback. I have been heading up to ID every fall for years to do a little elk hunting and have allways wanted to bring along my bike,, one task at a time however. At any rate , it looks like the wife an I are driving up on Feb 17th and hanging out through the 20th to check out properties in the TF and Boise areas. May bring the bikes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    The ticks here are huge. Like, the size of small rabbits. Damn ugly too.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank View Post
    Cant be any worse that the blood sucking liberals we have around here.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

jalepenio jimenez
    we use liberals for mudflaps around here. patch potholes with 'em too.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    we use liberals for mudflaps around here. patch potholes with 'em too.
    Sweet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post

Yeah, a state full of ignorant rube conservative republicans,a friggin paradise. Of course I try not to pay too much attention to all that because I am too busy riding my bike on Boise's great trail system. Welcome to Idaho.
    Last edited by mtnbkrid; 02-09-2012 at 06:34 AM.
    Ride the bike.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Every spring we go down to Tates Rents and rent a Kubota tractor for a day. We all pitch in. Then we get a pony keg and some seriously rank weed - the sticky-icky, the greenest of the green. We head up to the foothills where the neocons have dumped all the liberals in an open pit. We spend the day getting faced and digging around that pit full of the liberals with the Kubota - making piles and running over them with the tractor. Sometimes we bring lots of guns and shoot the s!ht out them.

We're thinking about making a pump track out of 'em. You in?

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Every spring we go down to Tates Rents and rent a Kubota tractor for a day.
    Kubota,,,??? Shouldn't you be renting American made ,, like Ford or CAT??

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

banned
    Apr 2010
    zon

welcome to idaho. you will notice the boise crowd gets upset over politics the rest of the state just enjoys what we got.

where have you been elk hunting? you will probably find some good riding there. good riding is all over the state, it just depends on the type of trails you like.

I will say though, that idaho has way more to offer than a dessert.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am begining to wonder about your depth perception TC. Huge piles, huge ticks, huge holes full of liberals. What's up? You OK. We are all very worried about your welfeare. I'll arrange an intervention if I have to.

And, get an eye exam dammit!
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    zon

welcome to idaho. you will notice the boise crowd gets upset over politics the rest of the state just enjoys what we got.

where have you been elk hunting? you will probably find some good riding there. good riding is all over the state, it just depends on the type of trails you like.

I agree,,, the high desert part is to live,, the rest is to play. I have hunted up out of McCall, and out of Featherville. There is a lot of prime singletrack in both areas. A nice loop would be Newman peak up out of Featherville. Amazing pack trails all over that area. I have allways wanted to bring a bike up there and give it a go.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Every spring we go down to Tates Rents and rent a Kubota tractor for a day. We all pitch in. Then we get a pony keg and some seriously rank weed - the sticky-icky, the greenest of the green. We head up to the foothills where the neocons have dumped all the liberals in an open pit. We spend the day getting faced and digging around that pit full of the liberals with the Kubota - making piles and running over them with the tractor. Sometimes we bring lots of guns and shoot the s!ht out them.

We're thinking about making a pump track out of 'em. You in?

Wait a second, you promised me the same thing last fall but with baby seals in place of liberals for valentines day. What are you doing, just telling people what they want to hear in an attempt to make new "friends" or something? So disappointed, especially because I am now thinking the baby seal party never was going to happen. You broke my heart Twisted, I hope you are happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

New question here.

the liberals here as well as the establishment have not read the constitution . Vote for Ron Paul. politics aside, if you like challenging terrain that you can ride year round forget it.
    the trails here around Boise are beginner to novice level. The other 6 months of the year there are lots of challenging trails in the Stanley, McCall, Fairfield and Ketchum areas.
    These are 2-3 hour drives. Of course there are exceptions such as the skills trail on Table Rock and a few areas down south in the Owayees. The mtbers here are friendly as well as the hikers that you encounter riding.

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    zon

now, now tim...we're not "upset over politics." it's just that we don't cotton to outside wiseacres coming in here with high falutin chromosomal counts and messing with Idaho's traditionally shallow gene pool (esp. up north.)
    now if you drive a pickup and own a dog...
    or if your wife used to be your sister...
    or your mom is also the mother of your child...
    well, in that case, you're welcome stranger.
    come enjoy the love.

aaarrrggghh!

Perfect

Awesome! With that attitude you will fit in real nice like. I sure hope you got a perty mouth.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

As an added bonus, he shows up at debates wearing a merkin for an eyebrow.

But to put it totally over the top, his sister, I mean brother, I mean sister has got the goods.

Swole. Dab. WTF, over?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    [QUOTE=TwistedCrank;8991336]

Most of con list looks like pro 's to me, the rest is mostly distorting his position.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Most of con list looks like pro 's to me, the rest is mostly distorting his position.
    I could give a ratzazz about the politics, that's for chumps.

But the merkin? Fugg. That's way over the top. Beyond the pale, actually. Says a lot about what's really under the hood.

Santorum all the way baybee. His constitution is in the bible. He posse of bible thumpers will eat your babies. And your bikes. Yo,

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Jeesh,, I thought this thread was started to find out about the cycling up there? Can you say thread jack??

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

banned
    Apr 2010
    obviously i touched a nerve.

jalepenio jimenez
    Jeesh,, I thought this thread was started to find out about the cycling up there? Can you say thread jack??

next time: Seriously looking to (four letter word for "breed" goes here) with my Idaho brothers...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Lord it is hard to sustain the roughy toughy neo conservative persona wearing biking shorts.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    At any rate,,, looking forward to riding with ya'all in the near future. Can't wait to get the tour of the local trails.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

aaarrrggghh!
    Uhhmmmm.......you started with the political BS and then wonder why the thread gets jacked? Seriously? This forum is like a bar, don't bring up politics or religion or expect your thread to get derailled.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible View Post
    Uhhmmmm.......you started with the political BS and then wonder why the thread gets jacked? Seriously? This forum is like a bar, don't bring up politics or religion or expect your thread to get derailled.
    Naw,, I was just stating a fact,, CA liberals are like blood sucking ticks,, think Nancy P. and Barbera B.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Poor kid won't last in these here woods. The posse will put the Mongolian boofoo on whitey faster than he can say "Newt"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Actually I think Zon will fit in nicely. He has guns and hates woman with balls.

Speaking of which what's up with this dude. Are the buggery boys of C street forgetting to trim the gerbils toe nails again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha View Post
    .... He has guns and hates woman with balls....
    First part is correct,, second part is way outa line,, dont even know me.

Last edited by zon; 02-10-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha View Post
    Speaking of which what's up with this dude. Are the buggery boys of C street forgetting to trim the gerbils toe nails again.
    The dude's gonna have to take out his teeth if he's gonna catch the Sarah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seriously looking to move to Idaho-palin-3invisiblesmask.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The dude's gonna have to take out his teeth if he's gonna catch the Sarah.
    Oh my god, is she wearing neutical earings. I love those things and thinking about picking up a pair for Deb this V-day. I know she would prefer neuticals over more bike parts.

Neuticles Earrings
    Elegance and fashion are combined with our new handcrafted earrings available for a limited time only. Sterling silver caps hold an actual pair of Neuticles .63" in style. Ideal for any formal or informal occasion! Each Limited Edition pair are individually numbered up to 1000 - with certificate of authenticity.

Price includes first class postage, handling and all related charges. $109/pair.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    First part is correct,, second part is way outa line,, dont even know me.
    Ok, I take it back. Zon loves woman with balls.

Seriously, you can't get cranky when you put polical opinion out there like bacon and expect us not to take the bait. Sometimes the Idaho board can get rough but we all get along conservatives, liberals, and I won't even go there on the various religous influences.

But back to your question. There is good biking south of Kimberly (Twin Falls) near Cherry Springs. There is a dedicated group of trail builders that has been building trail there. Try contacting Southern Idaho Mountain Biking Association - they have Facebook page. They're building great trails.

The Boise foothills trails are buttery smooth with lots of climbing. There is better trails up in the trees and the Avimor/Sheep Rock trail system will soon be under construction and promises more interesting riding. There is also some fun stuff at the Eagle Bike Park. Just make sure the trails aren't muddy.

If you do move to Idaho, I would dump your California plates as soon as you can and buy Idaho's mountain biking plate. Some of the natives (usually those that have lived her 10-years or less) don't like people from California moving here. Just advice and I don't hate Californians.

Happy Trails,

Mike e.

Look out!
    zon, you will be California expat number 239000, (and counting). You people have come north for the last 20+ years pissing and moaning about how bad it was/is down there, and the only thing that has happened, is that parts of Idaho now resemble the very place you are running from. Not politically, but increased traffic, urban sprawl, and decreased air quality, etc., etc.. So don't get upset if we give you crap for your whining about California politics.
    Ride the bike.

jalepenio jimenez
    dude, this is the land of milk and honey.

buy yerself some MTB Idaho plates and put 4NER on 'em so we know who you are.

we'll work all this Californicat'n shiz out on the trail...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    watchin yous guys from the north. I give this Idahoe thread at least an 8 or so.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member

Welcome to the Idaho forum. Every once in a while there is actually conversations regarding mountain biking.

Typically, it gets hijacked towards politics, food, midgets, sheep, and bodily excrement.
    BoiseBoy

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Greg - Thanks for the laugh. I am glad I didn't any coffee in my mouth, or I would have spit it out laughing.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy View Post
    ...Typically, it gets hijacked towards politics, food, midgets, sheep, and bodily excrement.
    and why not..?
    me, I'll be waiting for the next Boise foothill "epic" thread to appear. probably will be zon raving about our trails.
    ho hum...

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    In Ideeho, the hot chicks have stickers on their cars that say "Blue girl, red state". Some of them are the same pixies that slide around the woods in the winter, toting guns and sporting lycra, dropping their heart rate to sub-30 on demand, The same ones that can spank you baggy-schlepping nancyboys sideways. Just sayin.

banned
    Apr 2010
    zon

remember there is boise and than there is idaho. don't get the 2 confused.
    remeber in idaho the number one pick up line is: Nice tooth.
    We are nothing but a bunch of inbred rednecks with jacked up trucks and gun racks in our windows.
    Life is actually pretty good up here, that is why you don't see much bickerin out of the rest of the state. I will say, based on how much moanin and groanin going on out of boise, that it must be a bad place to live. Why else would they complain about all the good stuff they have. the bike park is to much this and not enough that, oh it rained i can't ride today. Some one took too big of a crap next to the trail. on and on.

On a serious note, i will say that this forum does not represent all of idaho, But a very small percentage of people in idaho. some like it that way, some don't. To each his own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    He will just smile and nod, for he knows soon he will drop you off and the cab will be his to smoke and sing to the Radio.

quote from a religious book, I think it was the koran.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    @zon ...when you're done researching Ron, Rick and Mitt's accomplishments, drop $40 on these and your next 3 summers are all set.

You can ride the in Boise Foothills for 2 of the other seasons and this year almost year-round. Some of the LBS's have weekly rides and SWIMBA can hook you in with local trail builders.

Good luck in your search and with your new digs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There's lots of great riding around TF. South of Kimberly is the South Hills(about 20 min. from TF). Miles and miles of great single track. Stop in at Epic Ride Cyclery and ask for Jack. He'll point you in the right direction. About an hour north your in the Hailey/Sun Valley area with lots of great riding there too. Chip at Crank and Carve can give you advice on where to ride up there. I'd show you around myself, but I've been down in AZ for the past month working

mtbr member
    A second for the Indian Trails area South of Kimberly. It's a great place to ride with 60 or so miles of riding on 18 named trails that can be connected to your hearts content. Riding consists of Moab style rocks to smooth fast single track. Scenery is typical high desert with canyons, sage brush and aspen groves. Wildlife varies from Deer and Antelope to the occasional coyote and rattle snake. The local shops have done an excellent job in laying out and maintaining these trails. Nearly all of it is rideable with very few 'hike a bike' sections and even those can be ridden with enough skill. The area is typically rideable from April to November most years but this season I got in one last ride the day after Christmas. It's not Sun Valley (which is awesome by the way, check out the book Mountain Biking Sun Valley, Idaho). but is it close to Twin and a lot of fun. Indian Spring Trails, S. Idaho - Google Maps

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Yeah we actualy found a beautiful home in Kimberly that we are close to pulling the trigger on. Nice to know great riding is close by. Seems to be a lot of great country road riding in the area as well. Idaho rocks.

>
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    [QUOTE=tim208;9000797]zon

...remeber in idaho the number one pick up line is: Nice tooth.
    ...QUOTE]

ROLOL!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Forgot to ask about MTB racing,, many races up there? Xc and endurance type,, not a downhiller,, to old and brittle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Forgot to ask about MTB racing,, many races up there? Xc and endurance type,, not a downhiller,, to old and brittle.

http://www.knobbytireseries.com

http://wildrockiesracing.com

Coyote Classic is the "must do", the Boise Nine-to-Five is a hoot, and the Galena Grinder has the goods. I may race this year. Or not.

mtbr member

Budah's answer was good. I'm sure we can hook you up with more info on races if you're interested.

There was some chatter about a race being added in Twin Falls some day.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Before you buy, you should check out the Sun Valley area for a bunch of single track, and more to come.

mtbr member
    Calender of events/races here:www.cycleidaho.com

Members who have read this thread: 0