RR Sun 12/19/04 Boise Cloud Traverse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

RR Sun 12/19/04 Boise Cloud Traverse

No, that's not the name of a ski trail at Bogus, but a description of today's solo epic winter ride. Had it been summer, it wouldn't have been an epic. The mile of hike-a-bike along a snowy, icy countour trail made it an epic.

Based on the trail conditions yesterday, I kept almost entirely to OHV trails today, climbing up 8th, taking the countour to 4, and bombing all the way down to Crestline, then cruising back to Camelsback. I started and capped the ride with 4 miles on the pavement to get to/from Camelsback, into a slight headwind each way.

1) There was no fog in the valley, but I hit the clouds at 3400'.
    2) At 4600', I emerged from the clouds that haunt the valley and city below.
    3) The countour trail between 8th street and the top of 4 is a bit snowy.
    4) Yes, that is as steep and slippery as it looks.

I was only the 4th set of tracks in the snow/ice on the countour trail. Looks like two others were from yesterday, and some icy individual had left icy tracks from a week or two ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by justen; 12-19-2004 at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    5) Getting above the inversion.
    6) Mugging for the camera at the top of trail 4. I need to take self-portrait lessons from EP.
    7) Looking towards Lucky Peak from trail 4.
    8) Descending back into the cold, fog, and dark.

All in all, a fun December day.

Justen
    Last edited by justen; 12-19-2004 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    I saw only one other person on this entire ride -- a cyclocrosser in a matching pumpkin orange jersey, coming down 8th street, just above the motorcycle parking lot. Talk about solitude.

It was pretty cold in the middle of the cloud layer. Once I got into the sun, the temperature warmed to the low to mid 40s. The nice temps and sunny skies convinced me to hike the bike over to trail 4. I never bothered breaking my mittens or balaclava out of my mule.

8th street was in perfect shape, up till near the top, where it got muddy, slushy, and snowy. The Ridge Road is probably impassable to bikes.

All the snow on the countour trail was frozen and treachorous. Wish I had a pair of ankle friendly hiking boots, instead of stupid bike shoes, for the 1 mile traverse.

Bombing down trail 4 was a blast. I didn't see or hear anybody. There were a few icy ruts at the top, but lots of normally loose sections were pretty tacky, so it was a wash overall.

At the MXC lot, I ate a Little Debbie Holiday cake. At 4800', a Little Debbie Nutty bar. At 5600', another Holiday cake. At the top of 4, I broke into my emergency rations and had a Little Debbie Oatmeal Pie. All the hearty-healthy trans fats in Little Debbie snacks keep 'em yummy and chewy even when frozen. Bless Debbie's heart. Back home, a JubelAle with a couple bowls of Jambalaya, and fresh corn bread. I love winter riding -- it's all about the food.

King of the Barneys

Now that was just

Quote Originally Posted by justen
    I saw only one other person on this entire ride -- a cyclocrosser in a matching pumpkin orange jersey, coming down 8th street, just above the motorcycle parking lot. Talk about solitude.

It was pretty cold in the middle of the cloud layer. Once I got into the sun, the temperature warmed to the low to mid 40s. The nice temps and sunny skies convinced me to hike the bike over to trail 4. I never bothered breaking my mittens or balaclava out of my mule.

8th street was in perfect shape, up till near the top, where it got muddy, slushy, and snowy. The Ridge Road is probably impassable to bikes.

All the snow on the countour trail was frozen and treachorous. Wish I had a pair of ankle friendly hiking boots, instead of stupid bike shoes, for the 1 mile traverse.

Bombing down trail 4 was a blast. I didn't see or hear anybody. There were a few icy ruts at the top, but lots of normally loose sections were pretty tacky, so it was a wash overall.

At the MXC lot, I ate a Little Debbie Holiday cake. At 4800', a Little Debbie Nutty bar. At 5600', another Holiday cake. At the top of 4, I broke into my emergency rations and had a Little Debbie Oatmeal Pie. All the hearty-healthy trans fats in Little Debbie snacks keep 'em yummy and chewy even when frozen. Bless Debbie's heart. Back home, a JubelAle with a couple bowls of Jambalaya, and fresh corn bread. I love winter riding -- it's all about the food.

an awesome report. And the jambalaya, corn bread and Jubel Ale has to be an unbeatable combo. Just wish our buddies in Bend would brew it year round....

good stuff.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Salad Days
    8) Descending back into the cold, fog, and dark.

All in all, a fun December day.

Justen
    Nice pic. Looks like fun. I think I'm heading out to Pipestone tomorrow for a ride if it isn't raining/snowing/sleeting.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Great ride!

Justen - Great report, great photos. That's a surprising amount of snow on 4A! Let's hook up for a ride sometime.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Little Debbie Rocks!

Buy Products Mentioned in This Post: Little Debbie
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Wandervans

what is that floppy eared hat?

Is that a hat or is that something else it just really strange on your head. Were you out on the trail on saturday with that hat also, I thought I saw that hat on someone I rode by.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Is that a hat or is that something else it just really strange on your head. Were you out on the trail on saturday with that hat also, I thought I saw that hat on someone I rode by.

Chris
    In weather that isn't too cold, I've got an extralong homemade sweatband that I pull down around my ears. Just enough to keep 'em warm. The floppy bits are just the free ends. If it gets color, I stick the floppy ends under my helmet straps for an extra layer of ear warmth. My fleece balaclava is just too warm above 25F or so.

On Saturday, I did Corrals and Hulls. Same floppy earwarmer. Near the top of Hulls, there was a couple with a dog climbing the trail. I pulled over to the high side to let them by. You? I probably was on Hulls around 2pm. Near the bottom of Hulls, there was a group of 4 headed up too.

Justen
    Last edited by justen; 12-20-2004 at 12:33 PM.

Wandervans

yup that was me(on the blue titus)...

Near the top of Hulls, there was a couple with a dog climbing the trail. I pulled over to the high side to let them by. You? I probably was on Hulls around 2pm.

Justen
    ..with the dog and trying to go fast enought for my riding buddy. Next time I see a floppy eared person I will stop and say hi.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was only the 4th set of tracks in the snow/ice on the countour trail. Looks like two others were from yesterday, and some icy individual had left icy tracks from a week or two ago.
    We left the 2 sets of tracks earlier Sunday. We started riding at 0930, 8th was still froze up and my Camelbak hose was slushing up until we broke into the sun just below Scott's. After a good dose of Vitamin D, we descended down 4, 6, 5 back into the cold grunge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    an awesome report. And the jambalaya, corn bread and Jubel Ale has to be an unbeatable combo. Just wish our buddies in Bend would brew it year round....

good stuff.
    I think they do. JubelAle seems to be just a repackaged Black Butte Porter. Any other tasters care to weigh in?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=67799
    Hehe. My favorite seasonal is Full Sail's offerring.

Justen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TuffLove
    We left the 2 sets of tracks earlier Sunday. We started riding at 0930, 8th was still froze up and my Camelbak hose was slushing up until we broke into the sun just below Scott's. After a good dose of Vitamin D, we descended down 4, 6, 5 back into the cold grunge.
    Cool. Nice to know the other idiots on the trail read mtbr.com. ;-) I hit the trail a few hours after you. You did the Curlew Ridge loop? How were the trail conditions there, compared to 4?

Justen

Flailer
    Dec 2004

Homesick

Justen,

Beautiful pics, make me very homesick for all the great riding in the Front! Now I know what drags all those skiers up to Bogus on nasty inversion-choked days. Really dig the pic of the 'Slide' going back down into the gloom. You should hook up with smilycook on one of his Danskin rides. He's crazy and will make sure you get all 5 inches of travel outta that 5-Spot (which is very sick, btw)!

Peace,
    Bil

Wandervans

part of

Cool. Nice to know the other idiots on the trail read mtbr.com. ;-) I hit the trail a few hours after you. You did the Curlew Ridge loop? How were the trail conditions there, compared to 4?

Justen
    the loop and then we went over towards rocky canyon road and did a loop over there. There was one section we walked around on the grass because it was muddy but the rest was good.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    How were the trail conditions there, compared to 4?
    5 was rippin'. We came out on the road to the shooting range. 1 near-death experience in the clay on the road when both tires cut loose on a corner. I hung on, counter steered hard, and the tires regained traction; I stayed upright.

Members who have read this thread: 0