Roots, Rock, Reggae- Dubois, Wyoming- Mtbr.com
    Wyo
    Wyoming Rider
    Oct 2005

Roots, Rock, Reggae- Dubois, Wyoming

This trail historically has been called the Pinnacle Buttes Trail and officially is, but after riding it we thought it deserved an unofficial name as well- Roots, Rock, Reggae Trail. The trail is located about 20 miles north of Dubois near Brooks Lake and packs a mighty big punch.

In brief review, the trail climbs 4 miles from Brooks Lake on usually nice single track till Bonneville Pass. From the pass it is a hair raising 1000 decent into Dundee Meadows. From Dundee the trail winds it's way through meadows, grizzly bears and timber until Kissinger Lakes. Out of Kissinger Lakes, a nasty 1.5 mile hike a bike (cross training) greats the weary cyclist. Then it's about 5 more miles of limited pushing and wonderful single track descents. Total distance about 17 miles with a cumulative gain in elevation of 4,000 feet. The trail kindly throws you roots, rocks, at least 12 stream crossings, bears, single track and a fair amount of the dreaded hike a bike. And the views are fantastic.

A couple of important things to consider.
    1. Not a trail for beginners
    2. Prime (I mean PRIME) grizzly bear country so don't ride alone if you can help it. Take pepper spray. Make noise.
    3. The first several miles of the trail are heavy used by horses. If you run into a pack trip, please stop and get off your bike and be polite. Sounds simple enough, but failing to do so gives us bikers a bad rap.
    I hope to post a map of the ride soon.

Candy Time!!!

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Beautiful! Are there other rides in the area? I was thinking of exploring some new areas and would love to camp and ride for a couple of days. Great pictures, sounds like a super fun ride.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

Tracking up the place
    ok, now I have a reason to ride over there....More pics....Oh sweet glory....
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Members who have read this thread: 0