Roll for Boise Bike Swap- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

Roll call for Boise Bike Swap

EDIT -- can a mod please add "call" so that it reads "Roll call...". Thanks.

I'll be there tomorrow after work. I still am not quite sure where it's gonna be at.....I guess I'll just wander around the WinCo parking lot for a bit and figure it out. Is it that building that is right behind WinCo as if you are heading out on the Connector? What is that building? Just an empty warehouse or something?

Not really thinking of buying anything...but if I find a cheapo beater bike then I just may bite. I just wanna keep something downtown. I still have that old Trek, but I'm too lazy to head over to the storage unit to get it out.

Say "Yo!" if ya' see me.

Nick
    Last edited by BelaySlave; 03-01-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to add "roll" to "roll call"

mtbr member
    The e-mails have been saying that it's just behind Winco on Broad St. Broad actually runs between Front and Myrtle - and would continue right through Winco if not for the building being there. I'm not exactly sure what the build is/was.

I'll be there at 5:00, and will try t get out quickly so that I can make the Sawtooth Film Festival at BSU.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member

7:00 Here

I will be over shortly after work. I am not looking for anything in particular, but like Nick said, you never know what will catch your eye.
    I am hoping NOT to see my stuff still sitting there, meaning that they were sold.

Have a great nite of shopping.
    BoiseBoy

King of the Barneys
    I'll be there sometime tonight, depending on whether my wife will let this outing count as a date... I don't need anything, except maybe new spd's for the SS.

Hope to see the usual suspects loitering around...
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

just a man
    I might be able to make it tomorrow night, tonight's booked unfortunately..

mtbr member

Bike Swap

Well, finally got the bike swap around 7:00 tonight. Overall, I was rather unimpressed. It may be that I missed all of the really good deals that were had during the first two hours.
    My Epic was one of the first bikes out the door I was told, too bad, I should have asked for more then. My Sworks bar also sold quickly.

The only things that really caught my eyes as I was walking through werre a Santa Cruz Superlite that was spec'd nicely, but a bit beat up at $1300. I saw a slightly over priced set of Crossmax XL's for 4 or $500, and an XTR set of hubs for $50.

I walked away empty handed at the end. A moral victory the pocket bood I guess.

Any other deals that I missed?
    Anybody find anything noteworthy?
    BoiseBoy

King of the Barneys
    my story is almost identical. We got there about the same time.

I had my wife try out the Superlight, and I rode a couple bikes.

Best bike of the show was picked up by one of our own, but I'll let her tell that story. I saw a pretty nice gold Racer-X go for $1,300 and a blue ultra-small Loco priced at $1,675. I also saw Steve Parrish's Zen sitting lonely at about $1,700 and looking a bit worn. Nice new looking pair of Crossmax's for $400. Some nice commuters, but no screaming deals by the time I got there, anyway.

Nowhere near as much gear and accessories this year over last year. Huge drop in the volume of parts, frames, etc.

But still, it was a good time all the same. And I only spent $2 on the whole night...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    I picked up a few items:

- Shimano 600 6-speed 13-32 freewheel for $5
    - Dura Ace 27.2 seatpost for $25
    - Ultegra 9-speed brifters for $25

Otherwise there wasn't anything that I was that interested in. I was in desperate need of the Ultegra shifters as the ones on my CX bike are completely shot. These were a little scuffed up, but functional. My current ones only upshift about half the time.
    Last edited by laffeaux; 03-03-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Hi!!!
    Good to see some folks there like Eric, Brett, Gary, Sara Jo last night. I didn't find that "dream" beater bike that I'm in search of. I'll probably just use that old Trek and turn that into the downtown beater bike.

Man was that space tight? I miss the old sites like the Emporium and TJ Maxx where there was plenty of room and people weren't jabbing you with handlebars and tires and strollers weren't running over your feet.

It definately seemed like this years inventory was lower than the other years I have been to.

Oh well. Good way to kill some time on a Friday night.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

she shoots, she scores!

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Best bike of the show was picked up by one of our own, but I'll let her tell that story.
    Or, she could let her cupcake (aka, me) tell it.

So, sweetflowersister and I made it over to the swap at around 7 or so on Friday night. I had no plans to buy anything, nor did she, but you never know what will happen at the swap. Pretty poor selection of goods this year. But, this one bike immediately caught my eye...and hers.

And there it was - a sweet, custom Jericho Leadfoot steel SS frame, hung with some nice bling - King headset, Kelly rigid fork, Paul hubs, Thomson stem and post, Truvativ cranks, XTR v-brakes and levers, Shimano pedals, Salsa skewers and QR, Conti tires. Probably a good $1500 in parts was my estimate (at least $800 - $1000 for the custom frame, and those Kelly forks go for 2 bills or so.) Painted a very nice XTR gray. Very good shape. So, I grabbed it off the rack and immediately concluded that it wasn't more than 21 lbs or so. Friggin' light for a steel bike! SFS got on and tooled around the swap. (Funny - I wasn't sure if all the guys were watching her or the bike or both!) We put it back on the rack and walked away, looked at another couple of bikes, and walked back over to the Jericho. She got on it again...rode it around again...and decided she had to have it.

So, we took it out on the maiden voyage today. Not knowing the condition of the footies (I hear they're drying nicely - thanks flip!), we headed up Highway 16 and took the dirt road towards Pearl. Snow and mud prevented us from getting all the way up to Pearl, but it gave SFS enough saddle time to know she LOVES this bike.

Can you blame her? Oh yeah, the Jericho's name is now "Twinkles."

(I almost bought a mid-80's Specialized Allez road bike that had been converted into a flat bar singlespeed roadie/commuter, but the rear hub was trashed and my house is becoming a money pit. But, I got to live vicariously through SFS's new bike purchase!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Sweet Ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig

So, sweetflowersister and I made it over to the swap at around 7 or so on Friday night. I had no plans to buy anything, nor did she, but you never know what will happen at the swap. Pretty poor selection of goods this year. But, this one bike immediately caught my eye...and hers.

And there it was - a sweet, custom Jericho Leadfoot steel SS frame, hung with some nice bling - King headset, Kelly rigid fork, Paul hubs, Thomson stem and post, Truvativ cranks, XTR v-brakes and levers, Shimano pedals, Salsa skewers and QR, Conti tires. Probably a good $1500 in parts was my estimate (at least $800 - $1000 for the custom frame, and those Kelly forks go for 2 bills or so.) Painted a very nice XTR gray. Very good shape. So, I grabbed it off the rack and immediately concluded that it wasn't more than 21 lbs or so. Friggin' light for a steel bike! SFS got on and tooled around the swap. (Funny - I wasn't sure if all the guys were watching her or the bike or both!) We put it back on the rack and walked away, looked at another couple of bikes, and walked back over to the Jericho. She got on it again...rode it around again...and decided she had to have it.

So, we took it out on the maiden voyage today. Not knowing the condition of the footies (I hear they're drying nicely - thanks flip!), we headed up Highway 16 and took the dirt road towards Pearl. Snow and mud prevented us from getting all the way up to Pearl, but it gave SFS enough saddle time to know she LOVES this bike.

(I almost bought a mid-80's Specialized Allez road bike that had been converted into a flat bar singlespeed roadie/commuter, but the rear hub was trashed and my house is becoming a money pit. But, I got to live vicariously through SFS's new bike purchase!!)
    That bike belonged to Chad, he is an mtbr lurker here.
    He takes excellant (almost compulsive) care of his rides. He will be happy to find that his bike went to a good home!
    BoiseBoy

Hi!!!
    Yeah that Jericho really stood out Friday night. I was suprised to find that type of ride there. If I owned it, I doubt I'd sell it.

Good find sfs & Geoff!!!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    That bike belonged to Chad, he is an mtbr lurker here.
    He takes excellant (almost compulsive) care of his rides. He will be happy to find that his bike went to a good home!
    We heard that the owner (apparently Chad) had recently become a daddy and had to downsize his fleet. In any event, SFS says thanks! (And, guess who gets the Kelly fork - so I say thanks too!)

mtbr member
    Nice pick up SFS!!

mtbr member

that was the ONLY bike at the swap that RRB and I kept going back and checking out. We're glad it found a good and deserving home... Poor Bianchi will becomes a donor bike..hehe.. Steel, is much better anyways for a rigid SS (specially Columbus Zona which should give SFS the best of both worlds, compliant ride with a nice stiff sprint).

King of the Barneys
    that's funny. I came back to that bike twice, and there I was telling my wife that it was the coolest bike at the swap, and some guy next to me said, "what?" so I told him what I thought. He was the buddy of Chad who gave me the inside story. So there I was admiring this wunderbike when the SS magnet draws in EP & SFS ...

SFS: Glad you love it. It's sure a beauty.

CDB

mtbr member
    that's funny. I came back to that bike twice, and there I was telling my wife that it was the coolest bike at the swap, and some guy next to me said, "what?" so I told him what I thought. He was the buddy of Chad who gave me the inside story. So there I was admiring this wunderbike when the SS magnet draws in EP & SFS ...

SFS: Glad you love it. It's sure a beauty.

CDB
    CBro, I do believe that was my girlfriend and myslelf that was talking to you. If I had knownk that it was somebody from the board, I would have introduced myself.
    BoiseBoy

King of the Barneys
    Yeah, shucks. It's often hard to recognize each other from our mtbr board Avatars. My hair's shorter now, too.. Flip, Bombin4x, Belayslave, they look the same, of course...

CDB

mtbr member

Yeah, shucks. It's often hard to recognize each other from our mtbr board Avatars. My hair's shorter now, too.. Flip, Bombin4x, Belayslave, they look the same, of course...

CDB
    Ya sher do have a perty mouth in that there avatar!
    You probably didn't recognize me outside of mine either being that I had clothes on at the swap. That whole S&M wheel that I am on is really hard to carry around as well!

I do agree, Gary does look just like his avatar and Nick, well, I haven't seen him in REI lately to see his new hair cut!
    BoiseBoy

Queen of Crash

The Jericho

Big J is quite a step up from the SASS, and I'm almost positive I can crash on Big J as well as can on any of my other bikes.

(EP: What about Big J instead of Twinkles?)

But I'll sure miss that blindingly shiny, chrome-plated SS. Keeping the silver seat, though.

BB: Tell Chad, "Thanks for the bike!" I'll take good care of it.
    Good times. Noodle salad.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetflowersister
    EP: What about Big J instead of Twinkles?
    I'd lean towards Twinkles, as the bike really isn't all that big. (I mean, how big can a bike you ride be? It's no midget circus bike like Shasta, but it isn't "big" by any means.) That, and with those sultry, slender Columbus Zona tubes, hooker lipstick-red skewers (ala flip's toenail polish), and sexy, sleek XTR brakes, I still think it's a feminine bike. "Big J" sounds like a guy's nickname. No bueno.

However, in the end, you're the one who will be riding (crashing) it, so the name is yours alone to choose. (You know how I feel about naming bikes in the first place....I never keep bikes long enough to name them.)

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Feck. You guys make want to vomit.

Speaking of which, I have always had this goal to be able to projectile vomit on command. Wouldn't that be cool and make for some great parlor tricks.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I felt like vomit (or hell warmed over) when SFS and EP saw me. I knew I looked like hell.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    I felt like vomit (or hell warmed over) when SFS and EP saw me. I knew I looked like hell.
    Well, if it makes you better, I wanted to shart when I heard you were on your fourth lap around dump loop. But, sharting in your bike shorts makes for a slightly uncomfortable and squishy riding experience, albeit nice and warm.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Well, if it makes you better, I wanted to shart when I heard you were on your fourth lap around dump loop. But, sharting in your bike shorts makes for a slightly uncomfortable and squishy riding experience, albeit nice and warm.
    They wouldn't let you buy/sell used bike shorts. Which is bogus.

Speaking of unicycles I watched a kid roll the rock on Hulls on a uni yesterday. Cleaner than I can walk it.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Queen of Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Speaking of which, I have always had this goal to be able to projectile vomit on command. Wouldn't that be cool and make for some great parlor tricks.
    We all need a good circus trick to fall back on.
    Good times. Noodle salad.

Members who have read this thread: 0