Rock Springs, WY - trail recommendations- Mtbr.com
    Your retarded

Rock Springs, WY - trail recommendations

My girlfriend and I are headed up from Colorado Springs to Rock Springs, WY next month for her 10 year high school reunion. I hope to break away and get some pedal time in. Unfortunately, neither of us has any idea where the trails are up there... if any. I'm looking for anything - XC, AM, FR, DJ, trials, whatever. Ideally, I'm looking for technical single track that will put my Preston to the test, but depending on what's available, I'll bring the bike for the task. If anyone has any information on local Rock Springs trails, please let me know. If there are unpublicized stashes up that way, shoot me a PM with the info and I'll make sure that those stashes remain a secret. I'm open to any recommended books too.

Thanks,
    Nicholas
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    I live up in Gillette and I haven't ridden in that area, but I hate to see you not get any information. I have a Falcon guide to mountain bike trails in Wyoming. It has been pretty accurate on the trails that I have used it to find. There are a lot of trails out there that are not in this book however.

The book only lists 3 trails in that area.

One is called Steamboat Mountain, approx 30 miles northeast of Rock Springs. It is listed as a 6 mile out and back.

One is called Pinnacle Buttes, approx 30 miles northeast of Rock Springs. It is listed as a 29 mile loop.

One is called Oregon Buttes, approx 20 miles south of south pass. It is listed as a 22 mile loop.

Also, there is a trail called the White Mountain trail listed in the trail reviews here. Maybe you can PM one of the guys that has reviewed it.

If you can find the Falcon guide in a local book store that would be good for you to look at. I think it was only like $15. I am getting ready to head out of town for a couple of weeks so I don't have much time right now. I have to roll out first thing in the morning and I am screwing around on MTBR rather than finishing my packing. If you don't have any more information by the time I get home I will give you some directions and trail descriptions from the book.

There used to be a guy that lived in Green River that posted here once in a while. I can't remember his user name and I haven't seen him on here in a while, but maybe you will get lucky and he will check in.

I will check back on this thread in a couple of weeks.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

Your retarded
    11 Bravo, thank you very much for the reply. You provided me with a starting point that I was previously unable to find. I'll look into the trails you mentioned and talk with the local book stores regarding the Falcon Guide to Mountain Bike Trails in Wyoming. I'll keep you posted on my findings. Good luck on your trip.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Here's the website of a guy in Green River, about 15 miles or so away from Rock Springs:

http://balder.prohosting.com/greyhair/

There's some trails listed there.

Good luck!

Your retarded
    Awesome. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited by Nickle; 05-30-2007 at 07:34 AM.

Where's the Beer?
    May 2007
    I talked to one of my buddies that lives in Rock Springs and asked him about trails and he said that there are trails all over the place right there in Rock Springs. He doesn't ride mtb but he rides motorcycles. He also suggested for you to check in with the local bike shop, The Bike and Trike. I think he said to as for Jason.......anyone there should be able to help you though. He did say the the shop has a ride night where they all go out together. Your best bet would be to get ahold of the shop though, anytime I have traveled, the local bike shops have been great to deal with......
    Brant Luckow
    '03 Gary Fisher Sugar 2+
    RaceFace,SRAM,Specialized,Origin8
    Doing what I can to eliminate the Bontrager.....

Your retarded
    Thank you guys for all your help. The reunion went relatively smooth and I'm back home. You guys have some fantastic riding out that way. There is sooo much potential for big lines it's not even funny. Thank you all for your help.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=312366

jonnyspoke, I did get in touch with Wade at the shop you recommended, but he was out of town for the weekend. Fortunately, my GF's little brother's best friend, Mark, is one of the local builders down there. He hooked me up.

Members who have read this thread: 0