Road trip through Idaho to Jackson- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Road trip through Idaho to Jackson

Hey all! Anyone have any suggestions for can't miss riding spots in Idaho? My BF and I are headed on a road trip starting on Aug 15th from Portland, OR to Jackson on the 24th. We are staying overnight in Boise on the 16th but after that we thought we would just kind of meander our way to Jackson. (We have an AirBNB in Jackson starting on the 24th for a wedding). So far we have Sun Valley, Idaho Falls, and Driggs/Alta on our radar. Also wouldn't mind a trip up to the Salmon area if it's worth it and looking for something in Sawtooth. Craters of the Moon would be a cool pit stop/break in riding day to hike. And probably spending a couple days in the Targhee area before heading into Jackson.

We're planning on car camping most of the way if anyone has any suggestions on good first come first serve or dispersed camping locations along the route, would greatly appreciate it! The whole eclipse thing is hampering plans a tad so options are always great.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    If you are staying in Boise, you have many options. Bogus Basin and something like Dry Creek sound like your types of rides.
    BoiseBoy

Ambassador of Chub
    Between Boise and Teton Valley, I'd recommend detouring up through Sun Valley > Salmon route if you're looking for good riding. Lots of options through that corridor - start with what's on MTB Project, and hit up a few local shops once you get into the area. The Hub in Salmon will have good info on riding around there. Sticking to Hwy 84 to Pocatello will take you through a bunch of mostly flat agricultural land.

And while you're in Teton Valley, you're on track with devoting some time to Targhee - it's riding as good as ever these days. But I'd also recommend exploring beyond that too - there's lots of quality goods to be found within a stone's throw from there.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

All fat, all the time.
    Just got back from sun valley/Ketchum, great riding there.
    But as you mentioned with the eclipse, things are going to be crazy especially trying to find camping spots.
    Talking to locals, they say they are expecting 30k visitors, 20x20 camping spots going for over$200/night, plus fire bans due to safety.

There are some great trails in Pocatello (be sure to hit the brewery after for great food) , as well as driggs.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    ...But as you mentioned with the eclipse, things are going to be crazy especially trying to find camping spots.
    Talking to locals, they say they are expecting 30k visitors, 20x20 camping spots going for over$200/night, plus fire bans due to safety.
    Oh, right - The Apoceclipse is happening then. Not sure what to tell you except good luck. Sounds like it has high potential to be a total shitshow. Can't speak for other areas, but I would seriously arrive in Teton Valley with all the food, water and everything else you think you might need. Stores are expecting to be cleaned out. And there are only three roads in and out of the valley - expect all of them to be heinous with traffic. They're even saying cell service might be overwhelmed.

Me? I am not planning on getting in a car that entire weekend. And praying for rain.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't really know what our game plan is for the Apoceclipse is yet. Just try to be hole up for a few days somewhere really. Sucks that the totality path is going directly over some prime mountain biking areas. Would've loved to spend a few days exploring Sun Valley but I just think there will be too many people around. Pocatello does look pretty legit.

"And while you're in Teton Valley, you're on track with devoting some time to Targhee - it's riding as good as ever these days. But I'd also recommend exploring beyond that too - there's lots of quality goods to be found within a stone's throw from there."

Where would you recommend outside of Targhee that's close? Maybe that's not as crowded as Targhee might be?

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by ames186 View Post
    Where would you recommend outside of Targhee that's close? Maybe that's not as crowded as Targhee might be?
    Even on 'busy' days @ Targhee, it seems like once you get out on the trails and away from the parking lot/base it's pretty mellow. But there's also good riding out at Horseshoe Canyon and the trail network through the Big Holes. Teton Pass also has a lot of good trails, both XC and DH.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think you'll be fine if you find camping prior to 8/18 and then after 8/21- base camp during 8/19-8/21. From Boise on the 17th you could detour north to McCall for good riding and tons of dispersed camping that should be available prior to the eclipse (upper Payette Lake may be nice)- Brundage Mtn, Tamarack, Jug Mountain all have MTB specific trails, or plenty of other options such as Loon Lake. From there head towards Stanley via the Banks-Lowman road and find base camp anywhere in the basin or head over Galena towards Ketchum. Assuming camping opens up after the eclipse. Great riding in Stanley/Ketchum area. You can then head to Jackson via Challis/Salmon or through Bellevue/Mackay and hit Craters of the Moon. Stanley will be bonkers during the eclipse. McCall shouldn't be as bad as it's just north of the totality path and is a much bigger town with more resources.

mtbr member

Frog Lake-clipse

Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't really know what our game plan is for the Apoceclipse is yet. Just try to be hole up for a few days somewhere really.
    The Big Boulder/Little Boulder loop is smack dab in the middle of the eclipse path. I am guessing the East Fork of the Salmon won't be as crazy as KSV or Stanley for the event.

Also, the weekend after the eclipse is the Lost Trail Bike Fest. Great riding in the crook of Montana's nose.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I'll be at Jug Mtn on the 19th and Tamarack on the 20th, if you're around then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

What kind of riding are you looking for? What we have in spades is less manicured "adventure riding" that gets you well off the beaten path.

jalepenio jimenez
    Since the 21st is a Monday, the whole weekend will be nuts most places within the area of totality. I'd plan on not being in that area those three days, but afterwards...that will probably be a different story. Most people will clear out later on the 21st would be my guess (end of 3 day weekend.)
    Again, a good map of the path of totality:
    USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

The morning of the 17th you should hit "Around the Mountain" at Boise's local ski area (Bogus Basin.) It's 10 miles of great fun if you go early enough, and easy additional miles if you want more: Brewer's, Elk Meadows, Upper Face, Tempest, and you're on top the mountain (Shafer Butte.)

And, unless you like it hot, McCall for the weekend, and travel again early on the 21st. Go through Stanley and watch the eclipse there, ride there, and then either there or Sun Valley for a couple days/day before you head east.

Driving to Stanley on the 21st might be a real cluster, so if you do that, go way early.

Hope it all works out for you.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Normally I'd say riding idaho is the way you want to go, but I consider Montana if your not in s rush. It might not be that bad, but then again it might be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for all the awesome advice, guys! We are leaving Wednesday and staging in Boise that night. I think being flexible is going to be the way to go for this trip. The weather looks like it may end up clouding over around Stanley and Sun Valley, which would equal a lot of angry people that spent prime dollar on a patch of grass. Anyways, wish us luck. And good luck to all of you in the path.