Riding & work opportunities in Lakeside MT?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding & work opportunities in Lakeside MT?

Hi.
    I have an opportunity to rent a nice little cabin in Lakeside for cheap. I spent a summer in Polebidge about 15 years ago but didn't ride. I went back through Whitefish and Kalispell (and Lakeside) 3 years ago and was blown away with how much it grew. If I'm being honest I liked it better before, not a big fan of the big box stores, traffic, etc.

The cabin is right below Blacktail in Lakeside. So, any riding scene to speak of? How far to trails in Whitefish etc.? How long does the season usually run? I would plan to pick up any handyman type work I could find. Does that sound doable or is the area saturated with guys that can swing a hammer?

Thanks for any and all input.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My info is based on living in Kalispell decades ago and you are right, it sure has grown. The riding season usually April-Nov based on weather conditions and elevation. Job listings can be found on MONTANA.gov , Job Service. There are currently two mtn bike clubs that I know of. Most trails are shown on trailforks.com The local folks have put a lot of work into the trails. Good luck, that is a beautiful area.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    I'm thinking with the amount of snow there this winter the higher up stuff may be starting a bit late this year.

Lakeside to Blacktail is one of my favorites, is literally right up the road from you. It is a bit steep heading up. but you can then take it all the way to Herron Park or turn around and burn down. It is almost 2,000' from the giant soccer ball/radar thingy back to the lower lot, and it is fun and fast. The FTBT towards Herron is getting some good trail building, and has lots of options at the end usually finished off by a jump in the lake.

We stay across the lake in Creston, and try to avoid Kalispell/Whitefish at least by Home Depot etc and especially on the weekends.

There is a ton of trails, but usually require a 30-45 min drive. I like Beardance/Philips and Desert Mountain. There is a bunch of options, mine usually involve my poor wife dumping me off at the top off some mountain and meeting her a few hours later. Trailforks has most of the trails or go buy the Flathead Valley singletrack at Wheatons or Glacier. If you are solo, it seems all the rides are 7-10 miles up FS dirt roads and then bombing back down.

Sounds like a good summer either way you look at it.

I've tried to hire a bunch of contractors over the years, painters, tree thinning, electrical etc and have come to the conclusion that no one wants to work during the summer. Maybe it is our location, but it seems next to impossible to get contractors to come take a look. I get it, I wouldn't want to either.

Flathead Area Mountain Bikers usually hosts a no drop group ride every week as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

come on up

Whale,

While i agree that things were simpler and quieter here years ago, you can still have a great time and get away from the crowds.

As was mentioned there are 2 new trails on blacktail, one towards Lakeside and the other to Foys Lake/herron park.(20 min)
    Herron park has also had a few new trails built in the last couple of years.
    Lone Pine state park, sw of Kalispell has some trails (20 min)
    Since you were here Whitefish has built the whitefish trail system, (45min).
    And the spencer mountain trails have been codified and seen the addition of some xc trails (45 Min)
    Also near whitefish are Pig Farms, Haskill Basin, and WMR trail systems.
    There is Crane mountain on the other side of the lake
    and a ton of higher and more remote options.
    The dirt road riding in the area is great, the pavement limited.

I would expect to be riding dirt in the area in 2-4 weeks in warmer drier areas, mid may to mid June for middle elevations and the highest trails in July.

The season often ends in October in the high country but can last much longer, esp down low.

I think that there is a definite shortage of hammer swingers and that someone who wanted to do general handy man or reno work could keep very busy.

Feel free to PM me as well with ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Hi.
    I have an opportunity to rent a nice little cabin in Lakeside for cheap. I spent a summer in Polebidge about 15 years ago but didn't ride. I went back through Whitefish and Kalispell (and Lakeside) 3 years ago and was blown away with how much it grew. If I'm being honest I liked it better before, not a big fan of the big box stores, traffic, etc.

The cabin is right below Blacktail in Lakeside. So, any riding scene to speak of? How far to trails in Whitefish etc.? How long does the season usually run? I would plan to pick up any handyman type work I could find. Does that sound doable or is the area saturated with guys that can swing a hammer?

Thanks for any and all input.

mtbr member
    Guys, thanks so much for the input! Very helpful indeed.
    Riding right out my door on Blacktail....that sounds fantastic.
    Threepin thanks a buch, if I make the move or have any questions I'll PM you for sure.
    Much appreciated.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I ride 2000-4000 miles a year in the Flathead on a yearly basis. If you need someone to show you around, PM me. I'm fat and slow, but I like epic all day rides.