Riding Tamarack this coming Weekend, need info- Mtbr.com
    Leave it all on the trail

Riding Tamarack this coming Weekend, need info

Hey everyone, Portland native here coming out to Tamarack to make some gravity runs. Was wondering where I should camp and most importantly since its the big weekend of travel and vacation perhaps some suggestions of dispersed camping or forestry areas that have legal free for all camping like in Washington instead of driving to one full campground after another, but perhaps that won't be an issue in this area? Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback78
    Hey everyone, Portland native here coming out to Tamarack to make some gravity runs. Was wondering where I should camp and most importantly since its the big weekend of travel and vacation perhaps some suggestions of dispersed camping or forestry areas that have legal free for all camping like in Washington instead of driving to one full campground after another, but perhaps that won't be an issue in this area? Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
    There are a number of campgrounds along the lake that are reservable.
    recreation.gov:
    Rainbow Point
    Shoreline

State Campgrounds:
    http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/...kecascade.aspx
    Poison Creek is right at the bottom of the resort.

As far as dispersed camping you will have to drive a little way from the resort until you will find any sites.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    maybe i'll see you there. i should be able to ride until about 1:00 on saturday. i'll be tired by sat though. i'm hoping to find some other gravity addicts while here on vacation.

mtnjam
    how late are they running the lifts 'til this year? Are they going to be closed after Labor Day or does JP plan on keeping the bullwheels turning until the snow flies?

jalepenio jimenez

McCall: camping/riding alternative

I was in McCall last week riding with some locals after a hiatus of many, many years. Rained out one day, but still rode the Xterra trail. It leaves the pavement immediately after the split between Lick Creek road (R) and the road around Payette lake (L.) Go left (L) at that junction and an immediate right and you are on the gravel road that is the start to the Xterra climb. There is good open camping in the general vicinity.
    Then for rides: East Fork of Lake Fork for warm-ups. Its about 7 1/2 miles further up Lick creek road. TH is at downstream end of old un-improved campground. Trail is only 4 miles and 700 vertical to major creek crossing, but good, easy riding with some good technical rocks. Scenery is outstanding.
    After E.F. of L.F. do lunch back at camp or in town and then head (drive) to Brundage reservoir and five miles and 2000 vertical descent down Goose Creek to Last Chance campground. You'll need two cars for this and some directions from Gravity Sports in McCall. Last mile to the reservoir is downhill from view point so you can park here and start your ride (shorter shuttle.) This trail is rocky and rooty and a major hoot. If you're in the groove, you'll love it. While it isn't necessarily steep, it is very rocky with lots of good adrenaline rushes along the way.
    These rides back to back are a good day of riding and may break up the pace of riding the chair at Tamarack.
    Good luck.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Tik

Jul 2008
    Switch

Welcome to Tamarack. You'll have a blast running the trails. There are a lot of places to camp in the area but I'm sure it will be a zoo up there over the holiday weekend. If you don't mind a bit of a drive grab a forest service map and there will be plenty of camp grounds in the area.

I'm heading up with friends on Sat. or Sunday for some runs myself but it will be a day trip from Boise.

Cheers,

Leave it all on the trail
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got one of the last campgrounds the other day at the sugarloaf campground on Lake Cascade. Looks like a sweet area close to the mountain. I can't wait!

I am rolling solo so if anyone has suggestions on cool must see spots feel free to let me know.

GRAVITY WEEKEND!

Members who have read this thread: 0