Ridge Road- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ridge Road

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Ridge Road

With the 8th street gate closed, can the ridge road still be accessed from Rocky Canyon this time of year? I can't think of any gates.... I got my first big bike yesterday and I want to shuttle trail 4. Not up for pedaling it yet.

Hi!!!
    This past Sunday morning we ran into Dirk at the start of Three Bears from Rocky Canyon. He did Orchard and Five Mile and I do believe he said the portion of the ride between the two was fine.

Here's my thread of mine that relates to the Ridge Road from a week ago:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=277492

I did hear from Steve Stuebner around the same time and he thought it would be good.

YMMV

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish McCorduroy
    With the 8th street gate closed, can the ridge road still be accessed from Rocky Canyon this time of year? I can't think of any gates.... I got my first big bike yesterday and I want to shuttle trail 4. Not up for pedaling it yet.
    Shuttling sounds fun. When you headed out and what kind of bike did you get?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got an Iron Horse 7point5. Probably try to head out tomorrow after 5. Haven't yet decided if we're shuttling with the truck, or trying to do something dumb with a dual sport moto and some straps.

just a man
    The 7.5 should be a fun rig down that.

I had CBro shuttle me in his ancient (may she RIP) Paladin-pickup truck a few summers ago to the top of Scott's. I rocked the old IH SGS down Scott's and Bob's and it was a blast.

Keep me in mind for future shuttles if you'd like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sure thing. I'm trying to figure out flat pedals too. Been on clipless forever.

just a man
    All I can say to that is that I put flats on last summer and the Crank Bros mallets haven't seen any action since....I love flats now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    One more- is 4 open to motos right now, or is there a gate at the top?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I'm so confused. I better have another doughnut. Gate on 4??? No gates on 4. Eighth St. has 2 gates on it. Trail 2 (aka 7...if you are old like me) has a gate at the top of it. The Ridge Rd. should have snow in its shaded sections 1/2 mile in either direction

As far as I know, R2R doesn't close 4 to motorized.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    8th street is still closed. You can go up rocky canyon to the ridge road. I heard from a moto rider the only snow is on the backside when you go right off 8th onto the ridge road. Going to the trailhead for 4 is clear from rocky canyon side. You probably just need good ground clearance to shuttle now. Be a lot easier if you had a driver just dump you off at the top.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    not quite clear from rocky canyon. maybe 1/4 or a 1/2 mile from 4 there's a 100-yard stretch of fairly deep snow.

The report from the 450cc. The connector from 8th to 4 is open. 8th to top of 4 via the Ridge has lots of snow. RC to 4 via Ridge has snow. 8th to Hardguy via Ridge is snowbound.

Ridge Road east from the front side quad for about a 1/3 mile to a 1/5 of a mile is covered in snow. After that it is clear all the way to Rocky Canyon Road.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Old thread bump: is the 8th st gate still closed? Does it open on a particular date, or just when the snow is clear?

Look out!
    The sign sez, I believe, Open May 1.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice. Thanks. I'll remember this time, as the question comes up for me every year.... I swear I will.

Members who have read this thread: 0