Ridge Rd. -> Crooked Summit Rd?- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Ridge Rd. -> Crooked Summit Rd?

I'm trying to plan my next wannabe epic and was looking at the R2R map and saw that a road or trail goes from the Ridge Road near Eagleson to what I call the Crooked Summit Road (I don't know what the official name of this road is). I believe that road is the one we used on the Cycle Idaho ride into Idaho City.

What is that road/trail like? Lots of climbing and descending or is it rolling?

What would be your guesstimate on the mileage from starting at Fort Boise and making my way over to 8th Street and then taking 8th to Ridge and then that road/trail and drop down to Robie Creek and then up and over Aldape back to Fort Boise via Three Bears and/or Shane's?

Barneys Unite!

Nick! Wouldn't it be easier . . .

just to pre-ride the Cycle Idaho route?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I just goes down. There is no "rolling" terrain on that "road". It is gradual for the first half and then just gets steeper after that. The last mile at the bottom is a giant rut and when it isn't a rut it is 3 inches of sand. Once you are at the bottom, you're committed to doing 1500'+ of climbing to get back to the top of Eagleson.

Watch out for motorcycles & ATVs.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Hi!!!
    Thanks Al. Well scratch that idea off the list.

And I guess it's known as the Clear Creek Road.

Is there any other way to connect the Ridge Road with the Clear Creek Road that doesn't see alot of MX/ATV use? I know there is thar road that takes off after that one house near Rocky Canyon, but I'm not sure where that one goes.

There isn't a lot of MX/ATV traffic on the Eagleson Road. You just have to be keep an eye out.

Why do you want to drop off the backside anyway??? If you want distance and mileage, ride up to Deer Point from Aldape.

mtbr member
    not totally off topic..

al, when is the gardiner peak/dagget 'crik' trail work goin' down?

soon as we can get in via Bogus Basin Road. We could have one sooner if people don't mind goin' up 8th.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I was thinking of riding Gardiner Peak from the valley this weekend. I'd like to get 10k of climbing in. Who's in?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!
    Another option I'm thinking of is kinda like Twisted's, but shorter.....just up-and-back'ing from Corral's. I've never been to Gardiner Peak though so what the hell do I know?

Wandervans

options

How about going down the road/trail behind the cabin. It becomes what I call bumpies it is a rought trail but fun and then take a left when you come out on the trail and climb back up to eagleson and then descend hard guy or dry creek...

it is a good time of year to ride it before it gets sandy..

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    what I call bumpies
    What a remarkable coincidence. I know lots of other people that call it Bumpies too.

I was thinking RC to Aldape to Ridge Road to Eastside to lower Sinker. I could be convinced to drop Gardiner instead of going to Eastside, but that seems "shorter". I think I'd have to pack more food regardless.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    It'll add another 16 miles. I'll bring a water filter and a carton of cigarettes.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Try riding from East Boise.

Sorry for interrupting your blog. A buddy of mine and I did a ride last week starting from the new Lucky Thirteen. We went up to the top of Lucky Peak via Cobb and Shaw Mt. Road. Then down into Rocky Canyon and up to aldape summit on ridge road. We were running low on H2O so we went down Hard Guy. That was 40 miles and 7000 Vertical. Next week we are doing the same but we are stashing H2O and going to come down Connie off of East side we are hoping to extend the vert to 10k.
    Livin' the Dream!!

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife1977
    We went up to the top of Lucky Peak via Cobb and Shaw Mt. Road. Then down into Rocky Canyon and up to aldape summit on ridge road.
    How'd you get from the top of Lucky Peak over into Rocky Canyon???

We were running low on H2O so we went down Hard Guy. That was 40 miles and 7000 Vertical. Next week we are doing the same but we are stashing H2O and going to come down Connie off of East side we are hoping to extend the vert to 10k.
    You can be a glutton for punishment like me and carry extra water like I did on Sunday. In addition to the 100oz bladder, I also had two 1-liter bottles. I think this upcoming Sunday I may pack a second 100oz bladder.

I always start in East Boise. I guess my rides are over 60 miles and around 9k of vert then.

Oddly enough, it takes me 5-6 hours to use up 120 oz. of water. Do you guys stay hydrated throughout the week? That helps with big rides

Hi!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Oddly enough, it takes me 5-6 hours to use up 120 oz. of water. Do you guys stay hydrated throughout the week? That helps with big rides
    Oh heck yeah. I got through a handful of full Nalgenes each day.

On last Sunday's ride, after 5:19hr of riding, I still had a smidge left in my hydration bladder and I didn't even tap into my two 1-liter bottles. Of course I had to cut the ride short cuz I was feeling guilty about ditching mom for a good chunk of the day . You ever have your mom yell at you in tagalog? It ain't fun!!!

I think I much rather err on the side of too much water with me rather than being SOL out in the middle of nowhere. Ya' just never know especially with a guy like me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    How'd you get from the top of Lucky Peak over into Rocky Canyon???
    In that direction, you don't see the No Trespassing sign until you are done with your ride (ie, I think it is only posted at the bottom at Rocky Canyon just below Aldape, and not up top). The same thing applies to a drop-in starting from the ridge near Luck Peak that comes out in a newish sub-division east of Tablerock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife1977
    Next week we are doing the same but we are stashing H2O and going to come down Connie off of East side we are hoping to extend the vert to 10k.
    If you are going to EastSide, you can refill your water at the lower lodge up at Bogus. There's a spigot out behind one of the buildings -- easy to find. The roadies who ride up Bogus usually refill their bottles there too, although this may be a bit late in your ride to help.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks about the Bogus H2O stop. I tend to sweat a little profusely. About the trail coming off of Lucky Peak. You reach the top wich turns into E trail. As you go North west, I guess it is, you will come across three different roads to the left before you hit the trail closed sign on E. The first is down to the top of squaw. The second cuts back toward the way you came pretty sharp and you go around a gate it is Terraces and comes out above table rock. The tird is one that I just found this year and it is marked by a plastic white post as closed to motorized vehicles. This trail takes you down to RC about half wa between 5 mile gulch and Orchard gulch.
    Livin' the Dream!!

Members who have read this thread: 0