rides not to miss,- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

rides not to miss,

we are coming down to Idaho mid sept., boise ketchum, sun valley, stanley and then to McCall (to ride with our friend Jamo). We plan on riding boise foothills the first and secound day, adams gulch-chocalate gulch?, fischer creek, Loon lake. Any other suggestions of rides we shouldn't miss.
    Tony Backcountry Bicycle shop Palmer, Alaska

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow, lot's of choices in those areas and you're already mentioning some of the good stuff. Are you looking for moderate length loops or more aggressive? In SV, Adam's/Fox/Chocolate is good. I like Greenhorn/Imperial and also Wolftone/Curran creek if you're interested in something a bit longer. Ask at the bike shops & pick up an Adventure Map.

Stanley is simply great. Fisher is good. The Redfish trail is good too as is Big Basin/Little Basin Creek. For a short, scenic easy ride or 2-a-day, check out Elk Meadows. Each of these are intermediate. If you want to go big and do some endurance rides, Stanley is the place to create some BIG 7-10 hour rides. Check the stickies on this board.

McCall is good too. Loon is the most popular and a must-do. I'm sure your buddy will know others. I like the following: Bear Basin (simple network of MTB-specific trails), Xterra/Crestline, Payette Rim. Bear Pete is great but requires a shuttle and 20-mile/Duck lake is fun too. There is a new adventure map for McCall so pick one up too.

Don't worry, be happy!
    be forewared - for duck lake 20 mile, I would really suggest an out and back starting at the warren wagon road trail head. If you drive up to Lick Cr summit and start there, it's pretty much a shuttle from hell, just due to the length of the shuttle.

regarding the new map... who is carrying it? I was in McCall two weekend ago, went to four outdoors shops ( two bike shops) and didn't see it displayed anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Interwebs

Quote Originally Posted by formica
    be forewared - for duck lake 20 mile, I would really suggest an out and back starting at the warren wagon road trail head. If you drive up to Lick Cr summit and start there, it's pretty much a shuttle from hell, just due to the length of the shuttle.

regarding the new map... who is carrying it? I was in McCall two weekend ago, went to four outdoors shops ( two bike shops) and didn't see it displayed anywhere.
    You can buy direct: http://www.adventuremaps.net/product/product.php?pid=40

I purchased mine at Gravity about 3 weeks ago. They had a stack sitting right by the cash register. I hear tell McCall Drug has them in stock too.

mtbr member
    For the McCall maps, Gravity had them by the cash register last week, McCall Drug and Propeak too. Good advice on the trails too. For 20 Mile, I would agree, just do it as an out and back. The shuttle is a long one to set up. If you want to do a shuttle, then I'd pick Bear Pete for backcountry, or Goose Creek for more DH. I like riding Xterra/Blackwell Lake, but lately I prefer it as an out and back to the lake avoiding the ATV trail. If you want a bigger ride, climb the backside of Brundage ride down the face, come back out via one of the roads and add in some Bear Basin too.

mtbr member
    thumbs up for the adventure assoc maps. I think fisher williams is the most overrated stanley ride. potato mountain, elk meadows are far better similar rides.

+1 wolftone. Also look at prairie lake/miner lake loop. There is also lots of shorter stuff there.

Focus your time in sun valley, stanley and mccall. Boise is good local riding but will be hot and dry. Time spent here would be more to socialize with people you know on the board.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

A suggestion for the sunvalley area.

This loop doesn't come up often, and I found it to be one of my favorites in the area.

Start in town. Head south on the bike path to cold springs trail. Climb up that and descent warm springs trail, and ride the few mile on the road back to town. The climb has great views, and the decent last forever and will make you grin from ear to ear.

One piece of advice, is when you are climbing up cold springs, when you first get to the single track, don't take it. Stay on the road until you get to the ski lift, then enter the single track.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

opinions, everyone has them

Out of all our rides in the area, Elk Meadows and Potatoe were our least favorite. Only redeeming quality on potato was the few technical parts on the back side. Elk meadows was fun, but really short, and had a lot of road descending on it.

Where as I really enjoyed the fisher/william creek loop. Nice scenic dirt road climb, followed by ripping fast downhill. The fisher downhill is a little sandy, but the William creek downhill was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    thumbs up for the adventure assoc maps. I think fisher williams is the most overrated stanley ride. potato mountain, elk meadows are far better similar rides.

+1 wolftone. Also look at prairie lake/miner lake loop. There is also lots of shorter stuff there.

Focus your time in sun valley, stanley and mccall. Boise is good local riding but will be hot and dry. Time spent here would be more to socialize with people you know on the board.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was almost attacked by sheep dogs in the Deer Creek area south of Greenhorn Gulch. I suggest phoning the forest service and find out where they are currently grazing if this is a concern to you. And while you're at it: let them know how lame they are to not post actively grazing flocks at the trailhead, like I did. I guess they don't have the budget to print and laminate a piece of paper and then drive 1/2 hour to the trailhead to post it.

Hyndman Creek is a supposedly epic downhill.

+ 1 for Miners/Prairie creeks.

mtbr member
    Some people just aren't cut out for Idaho...
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons
    I
    Hyndman Creek is a supposedly epic downhill.
    I 2nd that but you've got to climb Pioneer to get to it. After Hyndman if you climb up Bear Gulch the descent to Elkhorn on Parker Gulch is pretty sweet as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rides not to miss,-pioneer4.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0