Ride Report Sat 12/18/04- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Ride Report Sat 12/18/04

Parked at CBack and rode up to the freeway, made a left and took the redsands climbs up to the ride. That was pretty good except for a few soft areas on the 2nd hill. Took the ride over and up Sidewinder, which is in pretty good shape. Down four which is a bit soft in spots, then over and down Hulls which was in pretty good shape.

I went back up, this time taking the freeway and going right at the top, down the singletrack to Military Reserve. That singletrack is in pretty good shape. Started to go up 22B and said forget it, really poor shape. Took the singletrack back down to fort boise and out.

It was cold this morning. I started around 10:30. Could have rode with folks in the Danskins at 6am, but man! That is going to be my new area of exploration though for sure, come spring, and summer, early summer rides when it gets hot -learn that area at least as well as I know most of the foothills, since the riding there superior to these foothills.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

We were all out these today

Left home @ 1030AM, riding gears and squish on the NRS.

15th to Camelsback shortcut to Freeway to MR up Central Ridge left on Shanes to 5, up 5 to 6, down 4, down SW to a last blast down Hulls.

Saw exactly 1 other rider the whole trip (climbing SW).

Spending so much time on my SS has made climbing these lower hills pretty casual with gears!

The only dicey places on the ride where the mud wallow just below the 4/6 junction and the first 150 yards of Sidewinder (which is getting a bit too mushy for me to enjoy).

I can't complain at all, with limited time due to family stuff, 2 hours of saddle time and of the 18 total miles only 1.2 was on pavement.

Trail 5 is the pick of the litter right now, most of it is tacky and where it's sandy it's not at all soft. A great middle ring grinder for this time of year.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

King of the Barneys

Wink Now that was a "mini epic"

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Left home @ 1030AM, riding gears and squish on the NRS.

15th to Camelsback shortcut to Freeway to MR up Central Ridge left on Shanes to 5, up 5 to 6, down 4, down SW to a last blast down Hulls.

Saw exactly 1 other rider the whole trip (climbing SW).

Spending so much time on my SS has made climbing these lower hills pretty casual with gears!

The only dicey places on the ride where the mud wallow just below the 4/6 junction and the first 150 yards of Sidewinder (which is getting a bit too mushy for me to enjoy).

I can't complain at all, with limited time due to family stuff, 2 hours of saddle time and of the 18 total miles only 1.2 was on pavement.

Trail 5 is the pick of the litter right now, most of it is tacky and where it's sandy it's not at all soft. A great middle ring grinder for this time of year.

and I'm curious what is Trail 5? Sounds like some stinker I rode up above Squaw Creek somewhere. I'm too lazy to check my map, as I know most all these trails by name, not number.

Glad the usual suspects were out upholding the honor. I even asked a couple riders if they were on ID-mtbr and no-go... Met a Kurt who's moving to Memphis who was getting in as many pre-move rides as he could. A Japanese guy on a brand new Epic (had some $$ on that rig) who said he was going to ride up 8th St. Really need all that technology for a fire road? good stuff.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Trail 5

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    and I'm curious what is Trail 5?
    When you climb Sidewinder and look to the right you can see a trail that snakes along the first ridge to the right. It's an old jeep road that's non-motorized only now. Nothing technical or particularly scenic (other than being "out there") - it's a grind up and a cruise down.

You get there from the road above the shooting range at MR or from Trail 4 above Sidewinder. From 4 (Hulls Ridge) from the top to Sidewinder go up until you hit Trail 6, take 6 to the right, meet another junction (with 5), 5 rolls right, 6 drops to left before climbing up to the ridge.

From MR on an SS it'd be a long mash but prolly doable with one short & steep exception. From Sidewinder it's a grunt up the sand on 4 (definately hike-a-bike when dry).

I'd be happy to try to SS it with you when you get back from the holidays.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

SS on 5?

From MR on an SS it'd be a long mash but prolly doable with one short & steep exception. From Sidewinder it's a grunt up the sand on 4 (definately hike-a-bike when dry).

I'd be happy to try to SS it with you when you get back from the holidays.
    Riding up 5 on a single could be painful. I've ridden the SS up Devil's Slide from Sidewinder to the junction with 6, and then ridden down 5, but never ridden *up* 5 on the single. I've climbed 5 with gears countless times (95% in the middle ring, but not in the same gear combo as I have on the SS). I haven't even considered taking the SS up there. Yeowch. BUT, it sounds like a fun time and a good challenge. Let me know when you guys are going. I'm gone from the 24th to the 1st (sans bike), so I know I'll be looking to ride on January 2.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Sounds like...

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Riding up 5 on a single....
    Pain, suffering and extreme agony! Let's do it!

One minor wrinkle: I bent a rim on my SS yesterday. Guess I've got no choice but to get a new wheel with an ENO - but I don't know how long that'll take.

I was torqued at the rim failure so I went skiing in the afternoon with my daughter... where I cracked a heel lever on my tele binding rendering one ski unusable! (The gear gods were not smiling at me yesterday.) Good karma was there though as one of the guys and the repair shop lent me his tele boards for a couple of hours. There's not much snow up there but they've done a good job of making what's available skiable. Plus there were crystal clear blue skies!

In the meantime I'll just have to be in a funk until I can get the SStump rolling again.

Hi!!!
    There's not much snow up there but they've done a good job of making what's available skiable. Plus there were crystal clear blue skies!

I didn't go mountain biking this weekend, but yesterday I took some folks out snowshoeing at the Banner Ridge Park & Ski area. Absolutely gorgeous up there. As you can tell by the pic...no damn inversion like what we have been having here in the valley in recent days.