Ricochet- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ricochet

mtbr member

Ricochet

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine and our dogs went for a run in the Military Reserve, doing all the usual trails and the new Buck's loop. We did the new loop counter clockwise (coming down Bucks). The police were at the shooting range plinking away when I realized that the backstop at the shooting range was right below Buck's and got me thinking there is probably a possibility that a bullet can ricochet can off the backstop (since the backstop is dirt and can potentially have rocks) and use my head as it's final resting place. I'm just hoping that this was considered before the trails were built. Obviously it won't prevent me from running or riding the trails but it is food for thought AND it did make me pick up the pace a little bit so it wasn't all bad... hehe...

Hi!!!
    Me and some friends rode up there early last month when they were at the shooting range. My first thought when I heard 'em firing off was the exact same thing...just suppose one of those bullets did ricochet up into the vicinity of the trails....

mtbr member

Lead

Hopefully they start using frangible bullets (highly unlikely since they are super expensive) for the range instead of FMJ's... I haven't heard a ricochet from the range fortunately so I think we're OK. Ricochets make that unique buzzing sound... To me, it just seems like a weak backstop but that's just my $.02

mtbr member
    May 2004

"Plinking" clay pidgeons out in the Owhyees

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    A couple of days ago, a friend of mine and our dogs went for a run in the Military Reserve, doing all the usual trails and the new Buck's loop. We did the new loop counter clockwise (coming down Bucks). The police were at the shooting range plinking away when I realized that the backstop at the shooting range was right below Buck's and got me thinking there is probably a possibility that a bullet can ricochet can off the backstop (since the backstop is dirt and can potentially have rocks) and use my head as it's final resting place. I'm just hoping that this was considered before the trails were built. Obviously it won't prevent me from running or riding the trails but it is food for thought AND it did make me pick up the pace a little bit so it wasn't all bad... hehe...
    Nels and I were riding the Owhyees on Sun and before climbing up to the singletrack descent came upon a few shooting pidgeons up into the mountain.

Although far from us you never know what can ricochet. At least they WEREN'T drunk!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member

Sweet Bullet Ridden Connie

Heck, the last time I rode Sweet Connie, there were people that setup clays and were shooting them into the gully off of Bogus Basin road. We made sure to make a lot of noise on the way up. Luckily, they stopped as we got up into view...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Years ago, the SWAT team was using the dirt bank on the side of the club house for a live fire excercise. 2 of us had ricochets going over our heads as we rode above the range. We called the City police department to let them know of the situation. I don't think they shoot outside of the fence any more.

Also, while riding Bucks a couple of weeks ago, we paused at the fence line on the lower trail and I noticed a flattened FMJ bullet laying in the trail where the gate used to be. I don't know how old it was, interesting though.

mtbr member
    At least they stopped using tracers...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ah yes, mixing tracers and dry cheat grass. Several of us watched that fire take off while riding in MR that afternoon.