Restraint..............?- Mtbr.com
    let freedom ring!

Restraint..............?

So I am riding up Hulls today and I come around a corner a little ways below Hulls Rock. There was a guy with a football sized rock busting up a rock protruding out of the ground. When he saw me he stopped and stood up, and I asked him what he was doing. He said he was "fixing" the trail. I then asked him if he was with RR or Swimba and he said no. So I asked, "how are you fixing the trail." Ready for this. "it has rocks on it and I am making it easier to ride" This is when the conversation got a little bit LOUDER. I told him he needs to put the rock down and leave the trail alone. I kindly informed him that he was not "fixing" the trail but he was ruining in. Then I told him he needed leave the trails alone and that it is illegal to do "illegal trail maintenance. I then informed him that if he cant ride this trail there were plenty of others around that are easier. I tried to get his name but he wouldn't give it to me. Once he even made the comment that there were more technical trails up higher to ride. I was pretty upset so I stayed until it appeared that he was leaving then I went to the top of Hulls. I stopped the first person I came across and told them what had happened and asked them to try to get his name. I mean this guy was breaking rocks that stuck up five inches out of the ground to make the trail smooth. I just don't get it. I meant to look for signs posted about illegal trail maintenance but didn't notice any off hand, are there signs about that?
    Warren.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

roar
    I just came down Hulls tonight and noticed that it was noticeably smoother. One section had been totally sanatized and dirt had been put between rocks to smooth it out. Bummer.
    Whenever I haul a$$ I have to take two trips.

let freedom ring!
    I think that is the section I caught him on. This happened today around 4:45 pm. I dont know what else I should have done. I thought about calling someone to get RR or Swimbas Phone # and follow the guy to his car but realized I had forgot my phone. What do you do when you find someone destroying trails?
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Call the city. Specifically R2R.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

just a man
    I say bend the guy's arm behind his back to the breaking point and make him promise to leave town and never come back.

Or, take a picture of the doof and post it on this board so we can all keep an eye out for him.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I usually throw rocks that were dug out back into the trail. Legal or illegally removed why not learn to ride it instead of dumbing it down?

Hi!!!
    Here is the # that is on the front page of the R2R site:
    514-3756

If anyone else has a better number, please do post.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Follow him to his car, slash his tires, and threaten to hurt his extended family.
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

King of the Barneys
    Jimminy Christmas Warren. That almost takes the cake. Good job to confront him and talk him down. Where do these jerks get off, dumbing the trail down to their own lack of skill??

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    tell him/her that the "technical features" are there to slow folks down by making the trail more challenging. also tell him/her that trailwork not supervised by r2r does more damage to the trail (rocks anchor the soil, keeps the trail firm, etc...) and is not allowed. there is no trail sign that i remember that says bootleg trail work is illegal however... if all else fails, take a cell phone photo of the dude and send to r2r (or if in the middle of the day, just ride down the learning center and tell r2r directly).

Barneys Unite!
    Good deal, Nick. I'm going to load that number on my cell phone.
    Now if I can just remember to take my phone with me.

TF

Rocks Rock

Rip em

Mark V. is the the best there ever was at handling trail situations. I think he should give us all some trianing.
    Mark you rock dude! Wish our schedules were more linear.
    Am I being kind?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    if you know how to ride light, unweight your bike over stuff, you don't really need to slow down over that stuff much; therefore, the point is that they are a SIGN that you need to slow down anyway, out of respect for multiple users and to avoid issues.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You guys make me laugh...and not in the funny, ha ha way

Members who have read this thread: 0