Red Alert Condition for Treasure Valley Today - Air Quality Forecast Revised- Mtbr.com
    Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator

Red Alert Condition for Treasure Valley Today - Air Quality Forecast Revised

I recommend staying indoors today. See below for the notice sent up by the Dept. of Environmental Quality.

The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality has revised this morning’s air quality forecast and is issuing a RED air quality alert for today, Wednesday, September 6th, 2006 for Ada and Canyon Counties.

Heavy smoke from local and regional wildfires are contributing to high levels of PM 2.5 and ozone. Air pollution levels are now above an Air Quality Index of 100, which means all open outdoor burning is prohibited in the Treasure Valley by municipal and county ordinance.

The IDEQ is also issuing a Stage 1 Air Quality Forecast and Caution for McCall and Valley County and a Regional Air Quality Advisory for counties outside the Treasure Valley in Southwestern Idaho due to heavy smoke impacts from wildfire. Open burning in Valley County is now prohibited by state air quality rules. Sensitive groups such as the elderly, people with asthma, and small children are encouraged to limit prolonged exertion and stay indoors when possible today.

Today's air quality index information can been viewed on the Department of Environmental Quality's website at http://www.deq.idaho.gov/air/aqindex.cfm.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, good time for me to start my gym workouts again and yoga! Hey, I'm wondering if a red alert here is still better air quality than every day in Los Angeles?!!

More of the Same

If I remember right, Red Alert is the same throughout the nation. LA just has more of them.

If you really want to know....

Particles smaller than 10 micrometers in diameter can cause or aggravate a number of health problems and have been linked with illnesses and deaths from heart or lung diseases. These effects have been associated with both short-term exposures (usually over a 24-hour period, but possibly as short as one hour) and long-term exposures (years).

Sensitive groups for particle pollution include people with heart or lung disease, older adults (who may have undiagnosed heart or lung disease), and children.

People with heart or lung diseases-such as congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, asthma, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-and older adults are more likely to visit emergency rooms, be admitted to hospitals, or in some cases, even die. When exposed to particle pollution, people with heart disease may experience chest pain, palpitations, shortness of breath, and fatigue. Particle pollution has also been associated with cardiac arrhythmias and heart attacks.

When exposed to particles, people with existing lung disease may not be able to breathe as deeply or vigorously as they normally would. They may experience symptoms such as coughing and shortness of breath. Healthy people also may experience these effects, although they are unlikely to experience more serious effects.

Particle pollution also can increase susceptibility to respiratory infections and can aggravate existing respiratory diseases, such as asthma and chronic bronchitis, causing more use of medication and more doctor visits.

Hoops - Big and Small

Smokem Like You Stole Them

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    If I remember right, Red Alert is the same throughout the nation. LA just has more of them.
    What's up with the adult like post Supposedly there's a high ozone component, noon to 7 or some such thing.

These guys are draggin straight from the buttt - not sniffer in the bunch Ah the good ole days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Hmmm, good time for me to start my gym workouts again and yoga! Hey, I'm wondering if a red alert here is still better air quality than every day in Los Angeles?!!
    Yes it is.

Ahh....on the fly safety meeting...

Geez, I do sound serious. Would you plz make sure you go to the next SWIMBA meeting. I'd appreciate it.

Actually, everyone should go.

Hoops - Big and Small
    3rd thrusday flicks?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Bret, Check your email. Also in the pic the guy on the left of the smoker has something around his neck that looks suspiciously like a hookah hose.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Yes, everybody stay home tonight - more open trails for me.

My years of smoking cigarettes (and other leafy substances) seem to have conditioned my lungs to the point where a little air pollution doesn't faze me.

Aug 2004
    Speaking of hookahs....

http://www.thriveweekly.com/apps/pbc...VE04/609050347

This is something I can see Bombin4X and the rest of BOMB doing on a quiet Sunday evening......

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Hey Twisted, have you noticed how much your avatar of Warren Jeffs and mine of Frank Booth look alike? Coincidence? I think not.

mtnjam
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher

If you really want to know....

Particles smaller than 10 micrometers in diameter can cause or aggravate a number of health problems and have been linked with illnesses and deaths from heart or lung diseases. These effects have been associated with both short-term exposures (usually over a 24-hour period, but possibly as short as one hour) and long-term exposures (years).

Sensitive groups for particle pollution include people with heart or lung disease, older adults (who may have undiagnosed heart or lung disease), and children.

People with heart or lung diseases-such as congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, asthma, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease-and older adults are more likely to visit emergency rooms, be admitted to hospitals, or in some cases, even die. When exposed to particle pollution, people with heart disease may experience chest pain, palpitations, shortness of breath, and fatigue. Particle pollution has also been associated with cardiac arrhythmias and heart attacks.

When exposed to particles, people with existing lung disease may not be able to breathe as deeply or vigorously as they normally would. They may experience symptoms such as coughing and shortness of breath. Healthy people also may experience these effects, although they are unlikely to experience more serious effects.

Particle pollution also can increase susceptibility to respiratory infections and can aggravate existing respiratory diseases, such as asthma and chronic bronchitis, causing more use of medication and more doctor visits.
    looks the the 801 won't meet tonite....I can't anyways I'm on call....

Speaking of call...looks like with all this particulate pollution and photo...(whats the word I'm looking for?) I'm gonna get called in a lot for lung scans the next couple of days

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Oh Nick! Hookah horkin' hippychicks with tattoos playing footsies with Bombin4x and CBro. Now there's an image I'm desperate to get out of my head right now.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    OK, I can attest to the fact that the air quality definitely sucked last night. I take back what I said about my lungs being "conditioned" for that [email protected]

Hoops - Big and Small

Mask Up

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    OK, I can attest to the fact that the air quality definitely sucked last night. I take back what I said about my lungs being "conditioned" for that [email protected]
    Riding without your mask?
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I didn't have a problem with the air last night. I simply held my breath. I got kind of dizzy but it made our beloved footies trails a bit more challenging and made flipinidaho look kinda cute.

I received this info this AM.

The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality is issuing a Stage 1 air quality alert for today, Thursday, September 7th, 2006 for Southwest Idaho including the following counties:

Ada, Canyon, Owyhee, Valley, Elmore, Payette, Gem, Boise, Washington, and Adams Counties.

A Stage 1 alert means that any open burning in these counties is now prohibited by state air quality rules and that all practicable efforts to extinguish existing fires should be made.

A Red Air Quality alert is also in effect as well for these areas meaning sensitive groups such as the elderly, people with asthma, and small children are encouraged to limit prolonged exertion and stay indoors when possible today.

The Air Quality Index (AQI) for today, Thursday, September, 7th 2006 is 137. Heavy smoke from wildfires is contributing to very high levels of PM 2.5 in the Treasure Valley and Southwest Idaho today.

This AQI may be revised this afternoon should air quality conditions improve or worsen.

Heavy smoke from local and regional wildfires is contributing to very high levels of PM 2.5. Air pollution levels are now well above an Air Quality Index of 100, which means all open outdoor burning is prohibited in the Treasure Valley by municipal and county ordinance.

Today's air quality index information can been viewed on the Department of Environmental Quality's website at http://www.deq.idaho.gov/air/aqindex.cfm.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    Riding without your mask?
    Yeah, and climbing the back of Sidewinder on the singlespeed, taking huge lung and throat burning deep breaths didn't help one bit. You could actually feel the grit on your teeth!!!

Sep 2006
    ...and you wondered why i didn't want to drag my fat a$$ along with you last night. it took me soooo long to get my lungs pink again, why would i want to hammer them now? and no, i didn't ride the fata$$ motorcycle either. i hung out with the wife and earned points before i spend a looong weekend with crew.

Barneys Unite!
    Great! My plan to sit around and drink beer tonight is now medically approprite!

TF

Members who have read this thread: 0