Reccomendations for New Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Reccomendations for New Bike

Can you guys help me decide on a new bike. I can procure the funds and want something with between 4.5 and 6 inches of travel but that still PEDALS GOOD.
    I want something that if is not adjustable on the head angle than is no steeper than 70.5 deg, and no slacker than 69 deg.

I can trade the Kikapu in and get the Kona Dawg, but was thinking about the advantages of a four-bar linkage (Horst link bike again). I know Nels likes his and Cook has joined the Titus family; however, the interrupted seat tube design kind of bothers me because I am all about dropping the seat on some descents like Bobs and 4.

thoughts? thanks!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    have you been keeping up with the Titus moto-lite thread ? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=52479

It sounds like it may fit your criteria. It will be interesting to watch the reviews on this frame once Titus releases them in december. But until then you can check under the Jamis forum, and read up on the XLT series, which was an identical frame design.

later, Chad
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think you should not narrow it down cuz of the int. seat tube. Not to sound like an azz but Bob's and 4 aren't that gnarly or technical enough to warrant buying a bike just to drop the seat for a few feet of trail.
    Are you trading it in to IMT? Trade-ins always rip you hard and thought it's hard to sell a bike now, you'd get a lot more in the end by selling it on ebay or craigslist. Just a thought. Anyway, I'd recommend getting a Kona, for sure, because unlike Jamis, they are very durable and can withstand a few drops here and there. Jamis' "all mountain" xlt has the travel but now the brawn for anything more than xc riding.

What about an 05 Giant Reign or Fire, or whatever it is they're called.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a deal checkout the Intense Tracer (4") Uzzi SL (4.5") and the Uzzi SLX (6") these models have been discontinued and there are some deals out there. I did a quick search and Sun Bikes is blowing some out. I've been riding a Tracer for the past three years and love it!

Also, checkout the Five Spot from Turner Bikes. They are blowing out their Dirt Demo bikes from Interbike (you will need to allow the popup on their homepage to view the deals).

Mr. X (known bike pusher)

mtbr member
    May 2004

I like the pic

Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    have you been keeping up with the Titus moto-lite thread ? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=52479

It sounds like it may fit your criteria. It will be interesting to watch the reviews on this frame once Titus releases them in december. But until then you can check under the Jamis forum, and read up on the XLT series, which was an identical frame design.

later, Chad
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One *****en looking bike. I sent an email to Titus to get the specs, amount of travel, and availability on the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    INot to sound like an azz but Bob's and 4 aren't that gnarly or technical enough to warrant buying a bike just to drop the seat for a few feet of trail.

Not saying they are, but I want to dirt jump and ride urban on it too, without having to keep another, short seatpost for that purpose, and I'm used to dropping my seat from riding in SoCal (Laguna trails down to laguna canyon road).

About Boise, 4 from the top sure is fast though, and
    requires good rhythm to keep a flow, and it's easier to float the front tire through the sandy sections with the seat lowered.

The rock drop on Bobs is fun to huck

And I'm thinking more globally, not just about Boise trails

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Not saying they are, but I want to dirt jump and ride urban on it too, without having to keep another, short seatpost for that purpose, and I'm used to dropping my seat from riding in SoCal (Laguna trails down to laguna canyon road).

About Boise, 4 from the top sure is fast though, and
    requires good rhythm to keep a flow, and it's easier to float the front tire through the sandy sections with the seat lowered.

The rock drop on Bobs is fun to huck

And I'm thinking more globally, not just about Boise trails
    In that case, I vote for the Kona or Giant, the 05 stuff.

Wandervans

they do have telescoping seatpost

so if you bought an interrupted seatpost bike then you just get a telescoping seatpost.

http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=135

I think you should demo a bunch of bikes before buying to make sure you find the right bike. I think a giant is always a safe choice.

My suggestion is to wait another month and pickup a bike off of ebay for cheap.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDİ
    Also, checkout the Five Spot from Turner Bikes. They are blowing out their Dirt Demo bikes from Interbike (you will need to allow the popup on their homepage to view the deals).
    Dang, those Turners look sweet.

justen

mtbr member

Yeti 575

Bang for the buck I think it is hard to beat the 575 from Yeti. Plus it does not use the interrupted seat tube design.

http://www.yeticycles.com/1_bikes/575_raw.html

mtbr member
    May 2004

Very innovative

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    so if you bought an interrupted seatpost bike then you just get a telescoping seatpost.

http://www.titec.com/items.asp?deptid=4&itemid=135

I think you should demo a bunch of bikes before buying to make sure you find the right bike. I think a giant is always a safe choice.

My suggestion is to wait another month and pickup a bike off of ebay for cheap.

Chris
    That seatpost is a great idea: A seat post diameter that fits snug within the frame seat tube, with a smaller diameter post inside that. It looks like the collar snugs them both together.

As for waiting for E-Bay, that might be a good idea. You got the ultimate, smokin deal on your VT1!

mtbr member

deal?

Smilycook - I am looking at the Kikapu Deelux or the VT2. mtnbkrdr98 mentions you got a smoking deal on the VT1 - may I ask what the details of that deal are so I can use that as a reference pt when looking for one?

Thanks.

Wandervans

off ebay

Quote Originally Posted by FuelingAround
    Smilycook - I am looking at the Kikapu Deelux or the VT2. mtnbkrdr98 mentions you got a smoking deal on the VT1 - may I ask what the details of that deal are so I can use that as a reference pt when looking for one?

Thanks.
    I got my vt1 off of ebay in the dead of winter for $1400, it was a smoking deal you might be able to find another if you keep your eyes open.

Giant is coming out with all new bikes in february so you might want to wait depending on what you want to spend.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member

That is sweet!

I got my vt1 off of ebay in the dead of winter for $1400, it was a smoking deal you might be able to find another if you keep your eyes open.

Giant is coming out with all new bikes in february so you might want to wait depending on what you want to spend.

Chris
    Smilycook that is a sweet deal esp for a VT1 - that's usually a $3000 bike right? I just ran into a deal today from a bike shop for a rental VT2 2004 for $900.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    I have been. It's my new choice. I'm in Bozeman now though, and there is snow everywhere that is making it hard to think about a new bike.

And to the starter of this thread, you mean pedals well, right?
    Want to buy a 2004 Specialized Enduro? XT, Pushed shock, minute 1 with new spv+ damper I'm planning on selling it sometime this winter. It pedals real well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    I have been. It's my new choice. I'm in Bozeman now though, and there is snow everywhere that is making it hard to think about a new bike.

And to the starter of this thread, you mean pedals well, right?
    Want to buy a 2004 Specialized Enduro? XT, Pushed shock, minute 1 with new spv+ damper I'm planning on selling it sometime this winter. It pedals real well.
    Parker,
    Why not just sell the frame? BTW hows the skiing in Bozeman, worth the trip out?
    Later,
    James

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by SciBot
    Parker,
    Why not just sell the frame? BTW hows the skiing in Bozeman, worth the trip out?
    Later,
    James
    Probably will just sell the frame. If you haven't noticed I'm not very good at making up my mind. The skiing in bozeman can be really, really good. Big sky is big and gets good snow. I haven't been up there much, but I'm getting a pass there soon. Bridger bowl is smaller, but it gets better snow and there are some amazing lines there if you are willing to hike. There is good backcountry access too - we try to get quite a bit of that in.

Right now the snow is pretty bad, but it is supposed to snow 5-8 inches tonight. I would definately say it is worth the trip out, but make sure its been snowing. Things can get skiied out pretty quick at the resorts. I would be happy to show you around, can offer a couple of couches and a hot tub too.

John

Some bridger pics from last decembers record dump: http://community.webshots.com/album/122710021QRbeiI

Wandervans

hmmm..

Smilycook that is a sweet deal esp for a VT1 - that's usually a $3000 bike right? I just ran into a deal today from a bike shop for a rental VT2 2004 for $900.
    $900 might be a good deal depending on the condition, I would just be careful that it has not been ridden too hard. I guess I would never buy a rental bike from moab just because of the volume of people who ride the rentals down there. If it has not been ridden too much then it will definatly be a great ride. I picked up my vt1 in new condition so I was lucky in that account. You will be happy with the ride just check out the bike really well. Also it will take a little time to find the right setup.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    $900 might be a good deal depending on the condition, I would just be careful that it has not been ridden too hard. I guess I would never buy a rental bike from moab just because of the volume of people who ride the rentals down there. If it has not been ridden too much then it will definatly be a great ride. I picked up my vt1 in new condition so I was lucky in that account. You will be happy with the ride just check out the bike really well. Also it will take a little time to find the right setup.
    Yeah that is much to think about. They did say that before selling it to a customer they take it apart completely and rebuild it, lube up everything etc. So hopefully that helps. Hopefully if there are any issues I can get warranty also but the problems I will ahve mostly will be with the parts and not the frame I bet.

I have heard that it is hard to get it dialed in. I still am having trouble dialing in my 03 Fuel 98. I guess I need to ride it more to get it dialed but I don't get to often. What do you recommend for the setup? How tall are you and how much do you weigh and what is your setup for example. I am 5'10" an about 185-190lbs.

Wandervans

I think this is what I run...

Yeah that is much to think about. They did say that before selling it to a customer they take it apart completely and rebuild it, lube up everything etc. So hopefully that helps. Hopefully if there are any issues I can get warranty also but the problems I will ahve mostly will be with the parts and not the frame I bet.

I have heard that it is hard to get it dialed in. I still am having trouble dialing in my 03 Fuel 98. I guess I need to ride it more to get it dialed but I don't get to often. What do you recommend for the setup? How tall are you and how much do you weigh and what is your setup for example. I am 5'10" an about 185-190lbs.
    I am 5' 10" and about 170 so I usaully run the spv at around 60 psi and the air pressure at around 120 if I remember correctly. Basically I set it up for 25% sag which is what they call the xc setting. My bike has a four way on it so it will be setup slightly different since I am not sure if how much adjustment your shock has.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    May 2004

Fuel

If you already have a Fuel 98, I wouldn't be looking at a Kikapu. I have a Kikapu Deluxe.
    It handles fantastic but the suspension is too similar to the Fuel. It has more travel than the Fuel and is a bit more plush probably, but too similar, it would be a waste of money.

Go with something well-differentiated from the Fuel.

Perpetually single track
    Old thread I know...but one word:
    Heckler.

Single pivot is nice, possibly less maintence issues with all the 4bar pivots, uninterupted (sp) seat tube, can go more burly with it or be a really light trail bike depending on how you build it up. Not as light as the 575 frame though, if weight's an issue, 5.6 inches of travel in the back. And I love working with SC...good customer service is always a plus.
    Kirk

edit: I'm just slightly biased of course....

sharing the love

I agree with ibmkidIII,

The Heckler is an awesome trail bike. Mine is built up to be an over 30 lb, hard riding bike; my wife's is built up as a sub 30 lb tough yet xc-ish bike. We both absolutely love ours. The pedal great so I can keep up with the spandex riders but then hang with the downhillers on the way back down. We rode Teton pass this summer with Lance and Chris Canfield and their crew as well as some Boise downhillers. We were able to ride to the tops of all the hills which the downhillers were pushing their bikes up and then keep up with them on the way down (for the most part).

mtbr member

Interrupted Seat tubes

Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Old thread I know...but one word:
    Heckler.

Single pivot is nice, possibly less maintence issues with all the 4bar pivots, uninterupted (sp) seat tube, can go more burly with it or be a really light trail bike depending on how you build it up. Not as light as the 575 frame though, if weight's an issue, 5.6 inches of travel in the back. And I love working with SC...good customer service is always a plus.
    Kirk

edit: I'm just slightly biased of course....
    Yes - I agree those Hecklers are nice - didn't have much getting one at a bargain though so I ended up picking up a VT-2, esp since I was in a hurry to get it for the remaining of this season in NC. Maybe will try again and trade up to the Heckler some point later. Here's my question - what are the pro's and con's to an interrupted seat tube - I believe the VT-2 would be considered to have an interrupted seat tube though it sort of still looks like a full triangle with that curve part.

sharing the love

Ability to lower seat...

The pro to an uninterupted seat tube is the ability to lower the seat all the way if you wish. When I get to the top of a hill, I usually stop and lower my seat because I like the feeling of a more downhill or even bmx bike for the descent. It allows me to really suck the bike up into my groin when bunny hopping without repercussions. I can back over the seat on steep descents. I don't get a seat up the arse and get bucked off the bike on large drops. And, I just like to be able to move the bike around under me a lot when I'm riding. My last bike had and interupted seat tube and I'll never get another like that. Even if you get a telescoping seat post, you are still limited to the range of movement on it (and it won't be a Thomson). That may be ok for some or most people, but I won't go that route again.

mtbr member

VT-2 interrupted design?

Quote Originally Posted by zebdi
    The pro to an uninterupted seat tube is the ability to lower the seat all the way if you wish. When I get to the top of a hill, I usually stop and lower my seat because I like the feeling of a more downhill or even bmx bike for the descent. It allows me to really suck the bike up into my groin when bunny hopping without repercussions. I can back over the seat on steep descents. I don't get a seat up the arse and get bucked off the bike on large drops. And, I just like to be able to move the bike around under me a lot when I'm riding. My last bike had and interupted seat tube and I'll never get another like that. Even if you get a telescoping seat post, you are still limited to the range of movement on it (and it won't be a Thomson). That may be ok for some or most people, but I won't go that route again.
    What about the Giant VT-2? Looks like though its interrupted that there is still space to come down on the seat.

sharing the love

Good enough for some...

I just looked at Giant's web site and it seems that the VT has an interupted seat tube but the AC has the tube that you are referring to. That may be enough movement for some people but I like to be able to move my seat to the extremes, depending on the type of riding I am doing. Chris Cook ought to be able to say how far you really can slam those seats down. Of course you would have to chop the seatpost to get the range of heights for your needs.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

My $.02 - Ventana X-5

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Can you guys help me decide on a new bike. I can procure the funds and want something with between 4.5 and 6 inches of travel but that still PEDALS GOOD.
    Daryl - I've been asking a very similar question on the General Discussion and "What Bike to Buy" boards over the last day or so. Here are the threads:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=66739

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=66737

If I had the $$$ in hand today, I'd call Larry at Mtnhigh Cyclery and pick up one of the Ventana X-5s.

Perpetually single track
    Agreed...another very nice ride...and FWIW, much more rare than a heckler and similar price for the frame.