Rapid River Trail ride near Riggins- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Rapid River Trail ride near Riggins

Here are some pictures from Sunday's ride at Rapid River trail. In case you're not familiar with it- A few miles south of Riggins on Hwy 95 turn West on the Rapid River fish hatchery road and follow it the end. The trail starts at the hatchery. It starts out by climbing an open hillside, but quickly gets technical with several shear cliffs and rocky climbs and descents. Be very careful here- I heard they just rescued an older hiker here that had fallen about 60' down the cliffs. The trail forks, but just follow the river. Once you're back down next to the river it mellows out a bit and the vegetation gets green and lush. Now there are roots thrown in with the rock exposures and loose scree. The trail keeps climbing further than my legs have ever allowed. I usually turn around about 1 mi. past the second bridge. This time we turned around just before the second bridge because it was getting muddy and some horses in front of us had chewed up the trail. So that's only about 3 to 3.5 miles one way. It's not the longest ride, but it sure felt good to be spinning cranks and ripping singletrack on the way back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wandervans

looks like a cool trail

I have always wanted to ride that trail, thanks for the pictures!

Have you ever ridden that trail just outside of riggins that runs along the little salmon.

I am planning a trip into hells canyon at the end of march and might throw in this ride too if we have time.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Hi!!!
    Rapid River has been on my "To-Do" backpacking list for the past couple of years, yet I haven't gotten around to doing it . I was *thinking* of doing a quickie overnighter later this month, but it looks like I will probably be bringing work home on the weekends soon .

Any more pics?

When do those damn pesky rattlesnakes start coming out!?!?

mtbr member

Not sure which trail you mean

Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    I have always wanted to ride that trail, thanks for the pictures!

Have you ever ridden that trail just outside of riggins that runs along the little salmon.

I am planning a trip into hells canyon at the end of march and might throw in this ride too if we have time.

Chris
    Hi Chris,
    I don't know which trail you mean that runs along the little salmon. There's some kind of new path that was built to reduce the damage from fishermen, it could technically be called a trail I guess, but it doesn't really look like fun. Rapid river road turns off from the little salmon river and Hwy 95. There's also hard creek trail about 20 miles further south on Hwy 95. Cow camp is further south still. Those are really the only two rides I know of in the area. A friend of mine bought a cabin in Pollock, so maybe I can start using it and exploring the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    Rapid River has been on my "To-Do" backpacking list for the past couple of years, yet I haven't gotten around to doing it . I was *thinking* of doing a quickie overnighter later this month, but it looks like I will probably be bringing work home on the weekends soon .

Any more pics?

When do those damn pesky rattlesnakes start coming out!?!?
    Well, I've got family pics, but no more ride photos. As for the rattlesnakes, I've heard about all the rattlesnakes in Riggins for years, but have yet to see one, even when picking blackberries in the summer. I'm sure they're out there, I've just been lucky I guess.

sharing the love

Bonking ... not feelin' well Snakes

I rode rapid river trail last summer and saw two rattle snakes on the trail. They both rattled at me and stopped just off the trail after they crossed in front of me. We turned around when we saw the second one.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells