R.I.P. David Arnott- Mtbr.com
    nathan bay
    Apr 2007

R.I.P. David Arnott

I just recieved news that David passed away last night in a Seattle hospital from injuries he sustained after being struck by a vehicle a little over a week ago in Moccasin, MT. From what I understand, he was outside of his vehicle along the highway during a snow storm and the approaching driver was unable to see him.
    Like so many of us, Dave found great comfort and solace in riding, obtaining, and coveting bicycles. There was also much more to David, He was a father, a writer, a photgrapher, a musician, and god only knows what else he was good at.
    David was as random and zaney in real life as he was here on these forums. I will not only miss David, but will miss the comfort of knowing that he is out there in the world doing things that ride the line between brilliance and insanity, things that most of us would envy.
    ........I don't really have any other way to pay tribute to Dave and I'm sorry if some of you Bozeman folks who knew Dave are just recieving this news here and now...but bad news never comes in a good package.....God Speed Dave....Love....NB

AZ
    banned
    Via Condios ....

~Disc~Golf~
    WOW, sad - I'll miss that cat - Always loved his beautiful replies
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    Nathan, this should be reposted in 'General' - David frequented many other areas of MTBR - I'm sure others would want to know.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

David loved "passion"

He thought the other forums were too stuffy.

If I can find more pictures I will post them. I last saw him in September. We sat on my porch while he rolled cigarette after cigarette. It was good to see him for sure. But he smelled. He had been on the road a long time. Months. Creating art for himself and us.

He left his nice bike, a Rocky Mountain in Moab with his brother, and was really digging an old hardtail Trek that he said once belonged to Ted Turner. I saw him 2 days later streaking down the street on that thing about 20 mph. Last time.

Here he is with my son in 2007.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R.I.P. David Arnott-fdscn1303.jpg  

Last edited by GregB406; 12-10-2010 at 10:05 PM.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    weird, I opened up in Passion but the post landed in the regional forum. He didn't like this forum anymore because he had a kinship with Belay Slave that was misunderstood by some of the others from Boise.

Sad now they are both gone. thanks Nathan for posting this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Dave was very much into diving into cold rivers and lakes, snorkling into odd places. He adored Flathead Lake.

Dave was a devoted Father to his daughter, and always returned to Moccasin to play the supporting role as she moved from grade to grade.

Dave was injured in a farming accident when he was a child. He was moved to Missoula to finish High School. Dave was an occasional skier, preferring old straight skis. Riding with Dave I was always struck by his lack of strength and his uncanny good form and balance.

Not everyone knew this but he was the keyboard player for Band Universal and Triumphant. An irreverent and highly loved Bozeman based band that shows up randomly for the last 20 years. He was clearly part of the zany art flavor of that band.

Just learned that he had a masters in psychology. Many of his friends here in Bozeman are still in denial. Strange to live with him, but super sad to live without him.

Dave was an artist of sights and sounds. He was a poet with a clearly offbeat sense of reality. He always made me smile, then in a flash he would be gone.
    Last edited by GregB406; 12-11-2010 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here is Dave on our porch in September checking out a new fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R.I.P. David Arnott-fdscn4962.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Here is a dose of his zany creativity. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=616205

I've just spent the last hour enjoying some of his videos on Vimeo. I can especially recommend The Hikers and Marching Men.
    David, your work here was clearly not finished. Hope to see you later.
    Last edited by GregB406; 12-11-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Is my rear tire flat?

Tragic Indeed

Was wondering where the "pagin g davidarnott" thread would go. God speed my man, enjoy the other side, it has trails of passion too.
    db
    Liberty Lake Wa.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    That's some seriously sad news. David was the real deal, and I never even met him, that I know of. A serial cowgirl smut poster, he was. He and I connected - he would put my comments in his signature - an rare honor in this age of smarmy virtual hug fests. His comment about BelaySlave was totally misread and this forum lost much soul when David stopped posting as result of some stooges getting rocks in their socks over a comment that Nick would have had a good chuckle at and was probably beyond comprehension of those dorks anyway.I probably met him at various times I lived in Montana and I wish I could know when and where.

My sincerest condolences to friends and family. Ride big wherever you are now.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sorry to hear of his passing. I never did figure out what he was about in his posts, but admired the photos and stories anyway. Somewhat ironically, I attended a memorial service this afternoon for a local friend who passed suddenly. It sounds like my friend and Mr. Arnott were kindred spirits... God speed and have fun on the other side, fellas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just a couple more shots. From a winter ride in 08.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R.I.P. David Arnott-fdscn1809.jpg  

R.I.P. David Arnott-fdscn1822.jpg  

singletrack bound
    so sorry to hear the bad news....never met the man but feel like I've known him. I will keep him in memory...
    rest in peace my fellow rider.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The man had some skill with the viewfinder. His passing is a sad thing.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

wannabee
    Very sad. Rest In Peace. GBB

jalepenio jimenez

sad, sad, sad news

huge bummer....leaves me speechless

most of us will miss you David Arnott, your incredible photography and your oft' wacky posts.

rest in peace

one of my favorite David Arnott photos
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

since 4/10/2009
    very nice tributes from those who knew him. I'll miss his photos.

aaarrrggghh!

Rip

I loved the guys photos, sometimes his words were funny, sometimes irritating depending on the post. Overall this is a guy who saw things differently than most and I think he should be celebrated for it. So many folks go through life like robots and this dude was definitely alive. R.I.P. David.........

mtbr member
    That really sucks.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

One of my favorite posters

He was one of my favorite posters on this forum. He always had a quirky way of expressing himself and brought some life to an otherwise boring place. He was the master of showing irony through his photos. And donít get me started on his cowgirl photos Ė those were tops. I donít remember the topic but I do remember one of his posts caused me to blow hot tea through my nose when I tried to swallow while laughing.

Never had the chance to meet him in person but if I had to use one word to describe him and his posts it would be ďcolor.Ē In life, David used the 64 box of crayons!

Condolences to his family and close friends! David you will be missed.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    WOW!!! Almost speechless. For a person I had never met before, I always enjoyed his posts, and of course the attached images. Such a tragic event. Itís like a HOLY SH°T I DIDNíT SEE THAT COMING sort of moment for me!!! Damn! At least he could have been riding his bike (assuming that was his #1 love) when things went south. When I go, I want it to be riding my bike, as it is the only thing (screw my family, they are so facetious and materialistic) that brings me happiness. Anyhow, back on track, his posts (and spirit) will surely be missed on these boards!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my condolensces

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    In life, David used the 64 box of crayons!
    So true!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

posted on Caring Bridges

David Arnott, 49, of Bozeman and Moccasin, died December 9, 2010 at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle from injuries sustained in a highway accident.

David was born to Sarah and John Arnott, and spent his formative years on the family ranch near Utica, attending schools in Utica and Hobson. When his family moved, he attended and graduated from Sentinel High School in Missoula. He received his B.A. degree from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, where he worked for the college as a photographer, and majored and minored in music, English and psychology, all of which he pursued throughout his life. He also earned a masterís degree in psychology at Montana State University in Bozeman, where he lived most of his adult life.

David often worked construction and other jobs, on both coasts of the United States and in Japan, to fund time for music and writing. He recorded musical projects for others and for himself (piano) and played with numerous musical groups in Bozeman. Writing was another focus, and he published his work on the internet. Portions of his last book are to be printed in the literary magazine ďThe Exquisite Corpse.Ē

Davidís major achievement was his role as a father. He was the friend of scores of people, all of who have enjoyed his devastating humor and deep friendship and have received his support in their own hour of need. His last gift was of his eyes and heart through LightLife, which facilitated transplants of his corneas and heart valves for indigent recipients.

David is survived by his beloved daughter, Katlin of Moccasin, his mother and stepfather, Sarah and Pat Ozment of Utica, his brother Jack of Salt Lake City and his sisters Sigrid of Minneapolis and Rachael of St. Paul. He is preceded in death by his father, John Arnott.

A memorial service is planned in Bozeman at the Emerson Center at 2 p.m. on January 17, 2011.

singletrack bound
    Thanks for the information. I never met David. I started a thread in "Passion" awhile back Paging David as I hadn't seen a post from him in a long time. I was shocked when I heard about the accident! It just goes to show you.....never know when it might be your time to go....
    God Bless this man and may he rest in peace.
    Hope his dog is taken care of by the family.
    peace.....

Tone.

mtbr member
    My condolences to friends and family.

David-I did not know you personally but your posts always cracked me up. A gem indeed. Ride the singletrack and know that you are in our thoughts.
    DEET is my deodorant.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

One of his great threads

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Some new footage

I went to David's service/memorial/ celebration on Monday. This video was shown on the big screen at the Emerson Cultural Center here in Bozeman. It's Daves footage and music mixed by friends. He has a much longer feature that is being fine tuned by the same folks. Maybe it'll be available soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTR9lYGLAWU

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ

Au revoir

Wow.. always enjoyed his random beautiful stream of conciousness thoughts/images. Guy was pretty unique & a great photog/artist. Damn shame.. will miss his stuff here. Meanwhile ppl like Curmy are healthy as a horse. Typical.

To David!!
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

Members who have read this thread: 0