Questions for you night riders....- Mtbr.com
    Hi!!!

New question here. Questions for you night riders....

Hello all...

Well tonight was my first foray into night mountain biking. I've ridden on the Greenbelt in the past at night with no problems. Tonight I just did a quickie ride up at Military Reserve to get a feel for riding at night. I use a bar mounted Cateye light which I pointed so that the beam hit about 20 - 30 feet in front of me (of course I could be wrong cuz my guesstimates of distance tend to be horribly wrong). This worked fine if I was going straight but if I was turning...not so good cuz the light would be pointed in one direction while my head was pointed in another...so I had to ride real slow.

How many of you guys use a helmet mounted light? If you use both a bar and helmet light...which is more important in terms of brightness? Do you just use one or the other? Any recommendations?

I can prodeal from several companies including Night Rider and Cygo Lite and some other one whose name escapes me right now. I'd like to keep my budget under $150 if possible...keep in mind that I can get this stuff for around 50% off of retail.

Thanks!

Nick

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    How many of you guys use a helmet mounted light? If you use both a bar and helmet light...which is more important in terms of brightness? Do you just use one or the other? Any recommendations?

I use a HID bar mounted light in conjunction with a 10 watt helmet mounted light. I typically climb with no light or helmet light only. For the trip back down and at speed, I torch the HID. The helmet light works well for getting the attention of drivers as well. Don't forget the red blinkie on back if you spin through town to get to the trails.

I've ridden with one or the other, and as you would guess, using both together is the way to go. The bar mount definitely lights the way with a lot of light. The helmet light helps to punch through the shadows and black holes cast by the bar light in uneven terrain (the rock on Hulls is a good example) and on the corners. Up to you to justify the cost...

Wandervans

a bar mount since 1997...

I bought my first night light in 1997 and have been night riding ever since. I have not taken the plunge and bought a helmet light, although I think it might be a nice addition. The thing with a handlebar light is that you have to learn how to ride with the light and make split second decisions. I will even try to preview some corners by making a quick steer and then back. Just like most other things, the hid lights and helmet lights make night riding easier. You could even cheat and have someone ride a little in front of you.

Night riding can really hone your skills and make day riding seem like cake.

If you can't afford a helmet light then just take the time to learn how to ride with what you have. I don't get dropped at night on the downhills with my bar mount so it is not on top of my list of things to buy.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member

Both

I've ridden the past 10 years with just a bar mount which was great (old Niterider dual beam). A few months ago, I bought a helmet mount HID (Lume). The only negative about helmet mounts is that it washes out shadows (hard to see ruts or rocks since there is no contrast). However, what I do is I adjust the dual beam so it lights up the first 20 to 25 feet in front of my wheels and the helmet mount lights up anything beyond that. I can't say I'm that much faster with the dual system since I typically ride familiar trails when riding at night but it is more comforting to be able to see around corners or light up other spots (thinking cougars and coyotes) when necessary. Also nice to have a helmet mount if you have a mechanical.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

both

Funny you should ask. I'm planning on making my first foray into night riding tomorrow night. I'm planning on using both a bar mount light and a helmet mount light. From what I understand, two lights are more than twice as good as one.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

I just close my eyes and hold on

Yuckyuckyuck.

I rode for about a month with just a NR Storm on my head which was fine for climbing and technical descents, but for fast smooth descents I tended to lean on my brakes excessively. I got the Storm in shrinkwrap from eBay for real cheap (I think it was about $250).

Then I added a bar mounted Trailrat that I click on for descending which has added the dimension I needed. I got the Trailrat on sale at REI for $89 which is a price I'd seen from some mail order joints.

I'm sold on using both head and bar mounted - using bright on one and not so bright on the other still is fine. For me the extra weight is negated by the fact that I can descend so much more confidently.

I wish I could ride at night more - I usually have daddy duties until 9PM. I usually have to crawl out of bed at 5AM for night riding which is fine but it's hard to find others who enjoy that schedule and it has been getting cold lately. I might be available for after-9PM rides though. Let me know.

Earthpig - U going to SS by headlamp or are you going to use gears?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

King of the Barneys

Bonking ... not feelin' well I just got started this year

Hello all...

Well tonight was my first foray into night mountain biking. I've ridden on the Greenbelt in the past at night with no problems. Tonight I just did a quickie ride up at Military Reserve to get a feel for riding at night. I use a bar mounted Cateye light which I pointed so that the beam hit about 20 - 30 feet in front of me (of course I could be wrong cuz my guesstimates of distance tend to be horribly wrong). This worked fine if I was going straight but if I was turning...not so good cuz the light would be pointed in one direction while my head was pointed in another...so I had to ride real slow.

I can prodeal from several companies including Night Rider and Cygo Lite and some other one whose name escapes me right now. I'd like to keep my budget under $150 if possible...keep in mind that I can get this stuff for around 50% off of retail.

Thanks!

Nick

night riding, and I have a Vista bar mount set up with a 5w and a 15 or 20w, and a decent helmet mounted one. Got the helmet mount from Sierra Trading Post for more than half off. I think its more intended for rock climbing and caving, but it works fine, and is waterproof, has multiple settings, etc.

My first night ride was a pitch black night with the bar mounted lights only, and I was on my fully rigid SS. Biffed it pretty good on the way down Hulls Gulch. Gave me new respect for night riding.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    Earthpig - U going to SS by headlamp or are you going to use gears?
    I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the FS gearie. Gears and suspension are much more forgiving - it appears that CBro learned that lesson! I'm planning on riding during the daytime on Friday, so that will likely be my SS ride of the week. Did you get your SS up and running yet? How about a SS ride Saturday?

King of the Barneys

... and if we just ... Yes, the rigid SS

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning towards the FS gearie. Gears and suspension are much more forgiving - it appears that CBro learned that lesson! I'm planning on riding during the daytime on Friday, so that will likely be my SS ride of the week. Did you get your SS up and running yet? How about a SS ride Saturday?
    bouncing around was *very* disorienting at night. I generally have good balance, instincts, etc., but with just a bar mounted light on a fully rigid bike, I was bouncing around with the lights jerking this way and that, no depth perception or way to look sideways, or tell if I was ascending or descending except for how hard or easy it was to pedal,. Subsequent rides have been on suspension, and with a helmet light, too, and it makes a world of difference.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Hi!!!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    Vista
    Well I was about to prodeal a Niterider system when I remembered you mentioning this. Click here and click there and did some quickie research into VistaLite products and voila...my prodeal price was CHEAP for their Nightstick 25 system AND that particular model seemed to fit my needs. Did I mention CHEAP!?!? While probably not as powerful as some of the NiteRider and Light & Motion systems...it's also nowhere as spendy as those. I couldn't justify throwing down $150 or so for just ONE light. With the Nightstick 25 package...I get two 5W lights and a 15W light and 3 batteries. I really don't plan on riding alot at night, just twice a week dependent on weather...one in the Foothills and one on the Greenbelt. So for $80 I think I did well.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!!

King of the Barneys

You got a good

Well I was about to prodeal a Niterider system when I remembered you mentioning this. Click here and click there and did some quickie research into VistaLite products and voila...my prodeal price was CHEAP for their Nightstick 25 system AND that particular model seemed to fit my needs. Did I mention CHEAP!?!? While probably not as powerful as some of the NiteRider and Light & Motion systems...it's also nowhere as spendy as those. I couldn't justify throwing down $150 or so for just ONE light. With the Nightstick 25 package...I get two 5W lights and a 15W light and 3 batteries. I really don't plan on riding alot at night, just twice a week dependent on weather...one in the Foothills and one on the Greenbelt. So for $80 I think I did well.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!!
    deal & I'm happy for you. If you know the Dirt Dart boys, or the guys who usually ride with them, they pretty much all use the Vista set ups. That's where I got mine (or, my wife did, for my birthday).

CB

Freshly Fujified

I like the combo

of a bar mounted light and helmet light. I started out with helmet only, and found the constant movement up and down of my neck to see what's straight in front of me, and looking ahead to choose my line, to be tiring and made my neck sore the next day.

I now use a 10w ViewPoint EVO halogen on the helmet (which has a more focused beam) and a 6 watt ViewPoint Laser halogen (which has more of a spread) on the bar. The bar light is pointed about 3 ft ahead of the front wheel to illuminate what's directly in front of me, while I use the helmet light to help pick out my line ahead of me. I can just shift my eyes downward if I need to see what's directly in front, and no longer have the neck strain.

Perhaps a higher wattage and larger spread on the helmet light would have solved my dilemma from the onset, but being budget conscious, I bought the combo for $110, and it has been sufficient for my needs.

Enjoy the night rides.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

yup, bar and helmet

Yep, go for bar and helmet. I did my first night ride tonight and used both a bar and a helmet light. Don't think I'd want just one or the other. It was nice on the downhills (Sidewinder and Hulls) to have the bar light set to light up a short ways in front and the helmet light set to shine further out. I only used the bar light when climbing, except for the very end.

Twisted - I ended up taking the SS on the ride. I figured that it would keep me warmer when climbing and slow me down a tad on the downhill. Glad I rode it tonight b/c I wasn't dressed warm enough!

BTW, if anyone happens to find a Pearl Izumi microsensor headband/ear warmer at the top of Sidewinder, approximately where I'm standing in the picture, give me a shout. Lights work great to illuminate the trail, but don't work for sh*t when stuff starts falling out of your Camelbak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Don't drop things on night rides!

snipsnipsnip
    Lights work great to illuminate the trail, but don't work for sh*t when stuff starts falling out of your Camelbak.
    I lost my computer on Shane's a few months ago in the dark. I started to ride back to look for it and quickly realized the futility of the effort. If anyone finds a Specialized Comp computer with about 2500 on the ODO let me know

I rode last night too. Left CB Park @ 830 alone but ran into 4 other riders between there and the top of Buck.

Got the drive train installed on the SS so it is ridable now (did gears last night). Rolled it out of my driveway and immediately tried to shift! Now I realize I don't have leverage - still have 24" bars and cranks for gears. I'll be taking it out on dirt this weekend to see what she's got.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Sunday?

Got the drive train installed on the SS so it is ridable now (did gears last night). Rolled it out of my driveway and immediately tried to shift! Now I realize I don't have leverage - still have 24" bars and cranks for gears. I'll be taking it out on dirt this weekend to see what she's got.
    Hey Twist, was that your SS I saw Pete working on at IMT yesterday? How does your Sunday look for a ride? I'm riding the CX bike to Twin Springs tomorrow for a day and night of shooting guns, drinking beers, and blowing up things with explosives, but I may be up for a SS ride Sunday. That is, if I'm (1) alive and (2) not hungover too badly. These are things that happen when we go to Twin Springs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Earthpig; 11-05-2004 at 02:36 PM.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

SS maiden voyage

Hey Twist, was that your SS I saw Pete working on at IMT yesterday? How does your Sunday look for a ride?
    snipsnipsnip
    That was my SS you saw. I'll post the obligatory new SS conversion pic when I get around to it.

Sunday ride sounds good so long as you don't bring any guns and we don't have to get tatoos or anything weird. And no hookers!

Name a time & place.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

1 -2 Pm

That was my SS you saw. I'll post the obligatory new SS conversion pic when I get around to it.

Sunday ride sounds good so long as you don't bring any guns and we don't have to get tatoos or anything weird. And no hookers!

Name a time & place.
    If you need a wider riser for your SS, I have a slightly used black Race Face riser bar (26.5" wide, 1.5" rise) sitting around that I would be willing to let go for cheap - $15. I ran this bar for a while on my SS and currently have a matching silver one on my 1x1.

I promise - no weirdness tomorrow, except that gears and shifting will be absent. I'm thinking around noon - 1 PM. Not sure of a place to meet - I sent you a PM with my phone number.

Anyone else up for a SSunday ride??
    Last edited by Earthpig; 11-06-2004 at 11:38 AM.

King of the Barneys

I'm running a RF Riser,

If you need a wider riser for your SS, I have a slightly used black Race Face riser bar (26.5" wide, 1.5" rise) sitting around that I would be willing to let go for cheap - $15. I ran this bar for a while on my SS and currently have a matching silver one on my 1x1.

I promise - no weirdness tomorrow, except that gears and shifting will be absent. I'm thinking around noon - 1 PM. Not sure of a place to meet - I sent you a PM with my phone number.

Anyone else up for a SSunday ride??

on one of my hardtails, and an Azonic riser on the SS. Wouldn't go back to a flat or narrower bar. As an unpaid endorsement, the RF is really strong and both risers add a lot of control in descents and leverage on climbs. (Stand up and pull your guts out, you won't likely budge em).

Wish I could head out with you guys, as the weather should be perfect, but I have family and church activities and kitchen duties on Sundays.

CB

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

I was joking

[QUOTE=Earthpig]
    QUOTE]

I was joking about the weirdness - you can bring all the guns and hookers you want, leave the gears at home. I have enough tatoos though.

I'll give you a call. Shoot to head out around 12-1230