Question about bears- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Question about bears

I am coming through Montana and Wyoming later this summer and will be doing some riding around Missoula, Bozeman, and Jackson for the first time. I have heard that some of those areas are popular areas for grizzley bears. Do you guys take any precautions for bears when you go riding in those areas? Bells on your bike, bear spray, just making a crap load of noise? It is just going to be my wife and I riding and I don't want to end up bear food.

Thanks.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Yes, there are bears around here.

I always have bear spray with me, and if alone try to make noise to ensure I don't startle one.

Also watch out for Moose, I have run into Moose more often then Bears it seems. A cow protecting a calf can be very unpredictable and dangerous.

Jan 2008
    Tons of bears around Bozeman. I "clear my throat" a lot.

mtbr member
    Run up and kick em in the jimmy! If that doesnt work then remember you dont have to outrun the bear! Just the person your with!!!!!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I agree

with Mikey
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

Oct 2007
    Throw poop at em! It'll be there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think I will save the kick em in the jimmy suggestion for a last resort, and the poo I will be throwing will probably be my own if I see a bear up close.

I guess I will get some bear spray to carry just in case and make a lot of noise, probably mostly huffing and puffing.

Do you think most of the trails around Butte and Bozeman will be rideable in mid-July this year? I was looking to do the Bangtail trail and Emerald Lake near Bozeman and maybe Curly Lake or Beaver Ponds/ Toll Canyon near Butte.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    yeah they will be most likely. The ones you mentioned in Bozeman still have snow on em, but parts are rideable.

Members who have read this thread: 0