Pure Sweet Hell- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pure Sweet Hell

mtbr member

Pure Sweet Hell

Anyone planning on seeing "Pure Sweet Hell" this Thursday?

http://www.idahocyclocross.com/Special_events.html

CX season is just around the corner! The first race is Saturday afternoon at Lucky Peak Res.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Definitely! I own a copy but I'm going...........cause cross is finally here. Anyone racing the cross series stuff around here or elsewhere?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder
    Anyone racing the cross series stuff around here or elsewhere?
    Absolutely! I'll be riding "sweep" in the B races. Saturday afternoon is the first race. I'm hoping to be in shape by the end of the season.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeah, the first few races are super rough. It always takes a couple to figure out how to deal with the pain.
    hopefully good turnouts this year, maybe a few mtbrs will make an appearance. With a 'c' cat maybe more first timers will be willing to come out.

mtbr member
    i'd like to check out one of these races (as a spectater). thanks for the heads up with the scene.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    They ought to run these races in late December tp early January to make them a little more interestiing and challenging.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

just a man
    OK bear with me here, I don't want to go over to the CX forum, but would you guys tell me what you like best about cyclocross? What's the big draw for you personally. Somehow I am secretly interested in this madness, I just would like to hear why you folks dig it.

Thanks.

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    Somehow I am secretly interested in this madness
    I'm not...

I can't even imagine why someone would intentionally exert any physical effort other than to:
    1) Push a bike to the top of the hill
    2) Lift a bike into a truck
    3) Run from the police

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    I'm not...

I can't even imagine why someone would intentionally exert any physical effort other than to:
    1) Push a bike to the top of the hill
    2) Lift a bike into a truck
    3) Run from the police
    taco - which form of pain is cooler...busting your ass physically, lungs burning, heart pounding, legs exploding...or just busting your nut(z) on a sick jump

and about #3 - you grew up in boise, right? then you know how quick boise's finest are with the trigger

mtbr member
    OK bear with me here, I don't want to go over to the CX forum, but would you guys tell me what you like best about cyclocross? What's the big draw for you personally. Somehow I am secretly interested in this madness, I just would like to hear why you folks dig it.

Thanks.

Okay, here's my two part answer. First, there's "why is 'cross racing fun," and then there is "why are 'cross bikes fun."

To me, 'cross racing is the most fun I've had while racing. The races are small, and it's a very casual environment. The races are tough, but there are no grueling climbs. It's about pushing yourself as far as you can go, and the terrain, while it effects you, is less of a determining factor than yourself. The courses are spectator friendly, so there's people there watching, which makes you push yourself a bit more. And the whole event is short, so your day/weekend is not completely gone. It's hard to explain why it's fun, and it's likely not fun for everyone, but I think it's a blast.

To me riding a 'cross bike on trails is a lot of fun as well. For exploring new areas, I think they're the best bike to have - they do fine on pavement, dirt roads, and most single track, so they really open up the distance that you can cover to find trails (no driving your car to the trailhead). Riding 10 miles of pavement to reach a new trail is not a big deal.

On the trails they climb like you would not believe. The accelerate and climb better than any mountain bike you'll ever ride (mostly because the tires weight 1/2 of what a mountain tire weights). They are slower going down hill, but if you're a good rider, the difference is not that great. They help you become a better rider, as you learn to pick smoother lines and carry your speed through rougher sections.

I put many miles on my CX bike before I ever raced it. I bought it for riding on trails, and wasn't sure if I'd ever race it. I tried racing and learned that I really enjoyed that too. I normally race on narrower tires that I use when riding the bike in the foothills. But for either racing or general riding a CX bike is fun.

That's my long-winded little-information answer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Okay, here's my two part answer. First, there's "why is 'cross racing fun," and then there is "why are 'cross bikes fun."

To me, 'cross racing is the most fun I've had while racing. The races are small, and it's a very casual environment. The races are tough, but there are no grueling climbs. It's about pushing yourself as far as you can go, and the terrain, while it effects you, is less of a determining factor than yourself. The courses are spectator friendly, so there's people there watching, which makes you push yourself a bit more. And the whole event is short, so your day/weekend is not completely gone. It's hard to explain why it's fun, and it's likely not fun for everyone, but I think it's a blast.

To me riding a 'cross bike on trails is a lot of fun as well. For exploring new areas, I think they're the best bike to have - they do fine on pavement, dirt roads, and most single track, so they really open up the distance that you can cover to find trails (no driving your car to the trailhead). Riding 10 miles of pavement to reach a new trail is not a big deal.

On the trails they climb like you would not believe. The accelerate and climb better than any mountain bike you'll ever ride (mostly because the tires weight 1/2 of what a mountain tire weights). They are slower going down hill, but if you're a good rider, the difference is not that great. They help you become a better rider, as you learn to pick smoother lines and carry your speed through rougher sections.

I put many miles on my CX bike before I ever raced it. I bought it for riding on trails, and wasn't sure if I'd ever race it. I tried racing and learned that I really enjoyed that too. I normally race on narrower tires that I use when riding the bike in the foothills. But for either racing or general riding a CX bike is fun.

That's my long-winded little-information answer.

in other words, it's more fun than road riding in winter...

just a man
    Thanks Eric, and flip makes an interesting point. What do 'cross bikes run $$?

Thinking about it, it sounds fun to be able to really zoom the trails but can a bike like that handle any kind of technical/rock/air abuse? Or is it pretty much a dismount thing on those and then back to the smoother dirt?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    hmmmm....well, it is true that riding a cross bike is more fun than riding a road bike and that's period. hell, most cross bikes are just overbuilt roadies anymore....but that's a whole other topic.

Honestly, most everything in the foothills is cross bike worthy, it's just like riding a rigid 29, but with skinny tires. I can't think of a trail I haven't ridden on the cross, but there are some I won't do again. You'll get beaten up a bit at first but once you start to figure out the lines that work for a cross bike it's no biggie, also when you jump back on the mtb you'll be a whole lot faster, way faster.

to answer why it's fun, well, I guess because it's challenging as hell and the scene is good.

I've been doing the tuesday night practices and it's a good time, they had mtb's, cross bikes and the like out there...check it out sometime.

funny, I've been a lurker on here forever and it takes a cyclocross thread to drag me out of the shadows.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Thanks Eric, and flip makes an interesting point. What do 'cross bikes run $$?
    About $1500 for a Lemond Poprad which has Avid Disk brakes and a carbon fork. It's probably the biggest bang for the buck for any bike you can buy. I have Canti brakes and they still have more stopping power than you need. Sometimes I think it's the funnest bike I own and I own some really fun bikes.

Thinking about it, it sounds fun to be able to really zoom the trails but can a bike like that handle any kind of technical/rock/air abuse? Or is it pretty much a dismount thing on those and then back to the smoother dirt?
    I've ridden up Hulls, Bobs and Rock Island on my Poprad and ridden down Corrals (8th to BB) and everything at MR as Shanes to Rcky Cyn and 5 Mile with no probs. I routinely catch air on the waterbreaks while bombing down the Freeway. I think weaving down Bucks on the big light wheels is a truely fun ride.

As for dismounting, hey, it's a CX bike. It's made for dismounting. Just shoulder it and run.

In other words - it's an awesome ride for our beloved footies (sic).

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    funny, I've been a lurker on here forever and it takes a cyclocross thread to drag me out of the shadows.
    I don't race but I routinely ride my CX bike in the footies. I'd gladly get together with other CX riders on here.

Were you one of the 10 or 15 CX folks I saw on the trails last night?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I wasn't one of them in that group, I bailed out right after the practice which is where that group originated from. Typically after the practices each tuesday they head out for quick cx ride on the trails, but it involves a little 'follow the leader' so whomever is in front dictates the route and when you're off and running.

oh, and to reply to bike$$ question earlier.... I think $1k and up gets you a solid bike, but there's not much of a resale value so Ebay is always a good choice.

just a man
    Thanks for the replies, great info.

And Flounder, I love the user name, reminds me a lot of Kent Dorfman in "Animal House."

mtbr member
    What do 'cross bikes run $$?
    My guess is that the lower sales volume increases the cost. CX bikes cost a little more than a comparable road bike. Like others have said, if you know what size bike you need, and what options you're looking for, used is always cheaper.

I've missed ever Tuesday night CX practice. I didn't remember it was going on last night until I was riding past Camel's Back on my SS headed up Corrals.

Aug 2004
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong....but wasn't there a CX series that was maybe out in the 2C quite some time ago (like 5+ years) or maybe it was some field in western 1A (before Eagle Island)?

I've been interested in getting a CX bike the past couple of years....I just need $...maybe I'll dump the Scott and use that $ towards a CX bike....ehhh.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Like the CX cuz

hmmmm....well, it is true that riding a cross bike is more fun than riding a road bike and that's period. hell, most cross bikes are just overbuilt roadies anymore....but that's a whole other topic.

to answer why it's fun, well, I guess because it's challenging as hell and the scene is good.

I've been doing the tuesday night practices and it's a good time, they had mtb's, cross bikes and the like out there...check it out sometime.

All good points. My top favorites are-
    1. Cross racing will make you fast & skillful- it's a great sprint workout and it's enough fun you don't fully notice the pain.
    2. If you like a little pedal pain- it's as painful as a nordic skiing except the snot doesn't freeze to your chin.
    3. Roadies & MTBrs racing together- Roadies win in the sprints & flats, but MTBrs shine in the bike handling and dismounting/mounting. Makes for some good spectatin'.
    4. A good reason to buy another bike...
    5. Good people having lots of fun on bikes! What more do you need?

Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    taco - which form of pain is cooler...busting your ass physically, lungs burning, heart pounding, legs exploding...or just busting your nut(z) on a sick jump

and about #3 - you grew up in boise, right? then you know how quick boise's finest are with the trigger
    Busting your nuts. Duh.

No, I didn't, but I'm familiar with the fuzz around here, and I know that running from them only ends with one result...

Trevor

Members who have read this thread: 0