Pump Track mania coming to B-Town- Mtbr.com
    just a man

Pump Track mania coming to B-Town

So I've mentioned to a few of you about my intentions to build a small pump track (http://www.leelikesbikes.com/categor...s/pump-tracks/) in a section of my backyard. This looks like a ton of fun and a heck of a workout and cornering skills trainer.

Have any of you ever built one before? I think DelTaco mentioned he had done some digging at a local lot. That website above offers an e-Book for $10 which I may get eventually.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Check out Santa Cruz's website. It might still have a link to Weir's pump track in his backyard....he built a sick one....
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    Check out Santa Cruz's website. It might still have a link to Weir's pump track in his backyard....he built a sick one....
    You mean this one http://www.leelikesbikes.com/mark-we....html#more-139 ?

Hoops - Big and Small

Passing Line

Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    This looks like a good build - especially like the alternate line, would be fun to chase another rider down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hoops - Big and Small

Get a smaller Double Wide!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombin4X
    So I've mentioned to a few of you about my intentions to build a small pump track (http://www.leelikesbikes.com/categor...s/pump-tracks/) in a section of my backyard. .
    What's the deminsions on the North Forty?

mtnjam
    would love to help build that!

just lemme know when to bring my Pulaski and McCleod over

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    What's the deminsions on the North Forty?
    Well I was able to persuade the wife to allot a small section, it's about 20' X 60'. I might have to go with that tiny track he recommended

I first have to move a boulder, a big guy, at least a half-ton.. My friend's going to bring his truck over with a winch and chains.

Ryman - Will keep you on the list of helpers, thanks much.

When it's completed we'll have a kick-but BBQ for all those involved......(bribery)

just a man

This just in...

Update: After reviewing the original area alloted for pump track mania, I have persuaded the wife that we need more room to make this really fun and useful and was able to get it, about 40% more area. Enough room to put that triangluar track in even...HURRAY. I'm moving trees and bushes (or "shrubs" if you're Earthpig ) and moving/relocating sprinkler lines and rerouting a walking path.

Pump tracks need water, did you know that?

Stay tuned as the mania continues.

let freedom ring!

Tomorrow?

Are we on for tomorrow? If we are let me know what I need to bring.. I can help with the sprinkler relocation also, already have all the tools for that.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

just a man
    Warren, Ryman, DK - Look for a PM from me. Thanks~
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 08-25-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Jan 2005
    Hey, let me know when you're working on it. I'll come and give you a hand.
    Last edited by DelTaco; 08-25-2006 at 02:16 PM.

let freedom ring!

Early Ride.........

Craig..

Let me know where you will be riding tomorrow. The earlier the better. My wife told me she wants me to go riding in the morning, Something about me being easier to live with after I have gone riding. You can post when and where here or just give me a call.

Later
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

just a man

You got it

How about whoever wants to get up early for a ride meet at Camelsback Park at 7:30 am? Any and all are welcome.

let freedom ring!

I will see you there......

I will meet you tomorrow at 730. look for a grey toyota minivan, I'm riding a blue trance.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Is this Lees backyard? That looks awesome. Soon to be part of the Parker byard....
    Well, I might just join y'all at 7:30, ride with you and then if I want to ride some more just do so.....thinking to include RIslands?

Get lost, yo never gave me your email addy

just a man
    Look for my green AMC Pacer and a red Magna DS with bar-ends, an orange flag/whip on the back, and a styrofoam (white) helmet - no visor.

Jan 2005
    Look for me on my khs wearing a green helmet.

I won't be there though, but it'd be fun to look for me though, right?

Bombin4X, I emptied my pm's, so if you could send me the one's i didn't reply to, that'd be awesome.

aaarrrggghh!

Barends

Look for my green AMC Pacer and a red Magna DS with bar-ends, an orange flag/whip on the back, and a styrofoam (white) helmet - no visor.
    When you put the barends in the vertical they become beersticks. Just thought you might want to know that. I'd like to give you a hand on your pumptrack but I think this weekend I'm locked up. Let me know when other opportunities to pitch in might become available. Sounds like fun.

Ian

just a man
    Ian: Beer ends? Do you put a little holster on each one to hold the can/bottle? Think of patenting this yet?...The idea has merit. Thanks for offering to help, I definitely welcome your experienced input and shovel skills. Tomorrow will be more of a staging day, digging up some sprinkler lines, mapping out the layout, etc. It's a work in progress with many days before us. So thanks again. I look forward to being able to help out up at Bogus too.

Trevor: Have a great time at Tam. My PM's were just to say thanks for the offer to help, I'll let you know with a little more advanced notice of the build days.

Did some tree relocation tonight, all that's left to move is one hugeazz boulder. My buddy won't be able to hook it up to the jeep with winch and mega chains until next Saturday. Also pulled up a few sprinkler lines to be moved/extended. Lee at leelikesbikes.com gave me some great ideas for drainage system today too.

Dang! I got pumptrack on the brain more than Visi's got spackle and Twisted's got bunched and folded tp.

Grab the mania!

Aug 2006
    Would it be possible to incorparate the boulder into the flow of the track? Possibly a more technical line? Just a thought. I've built radio control race tracks before, very similar scale to the pump tracks, so would be glad to help as much as I can with one arm.

By the way Ivan love the avatar. I'm looking at a  similar one after a little Dirt jumping fun last w eekend. I HATE CASTS!!!

just a man

I actually considered it...

..but the shape and size would really screwup the flow and speed element of the course. I welcome your input and assistance with the development, thanks!

Going to take some pics today, some from the roof and all difft angles, trying to determine exactly how I'd like the layout to firm up as....

Thanks,
    B4X

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dude, kudos to you - you have always been polite with folks on here and cool - it doesn't go unnoticed!

just a man
    Thanks for the call Daryl, you're going to love this thing when it's done. GetLost cruised by with the whole fam after our early morning Dork sesh. Warren you'll conquer that Hulls rock section next time, I am confident in your skills.

Decided on the triangular track (pictured above in this thread). Did a little digging today, plotting, mapping, watering. Salivating......here are some before and in-process shots...

Get your 1988 retro Ziggy Marley on with Mark Weir's track here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=AiH3C2UbPi0
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 08-26-2006 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks CP, Killer video and great reggae. Was that Lopes on the GT? Lot's of smooth manualing,
    and looks like they have a nice little kicker jump in there too

Hey, looks like you are coming along, good start........ttyl

just a man

I don't own Photoshop...

..and sorry to all who I am boring to tears with this thread that will not die.

This is the general idea.

Jan 2005
    You should build the berm at the intersection of the fences HUGE! That is if you're not worried about collapsing the fence...

Maybe you could build a wallride...

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    You should build the berm at the intersection of the fences HUGE! That is if you're not worried about collapsing the fence...

Maybe you could build a wallride...
    I've currently got that berm at 9.5', I could expand it a little more. The monster berm is the one next to it (to the right). Today's update:

just a man
    Bombin4X's wife here...... I love this man dearly but he's a bit OCD about this pump track. Let's all encourage him to get it done quickly so I have have my husband back!!!!!!

aaarrrggghh!

Amazing

Bombin4X's wife here...... I love this man dearly but he's a bit OCD about this pump track. Let's all encourage him to get it done quickly so I have have my husband back!!!!!!
    This little stunt of his makes him my hero.

Jan 2005
    Looking sick. I would be plenty willing to come over and do some work. Whatcha doing tomorrow? Probably working. I don't plan on attending school. The first day is always enough of a zoo to be able to be missing and not be noticed.

Looks like a ton of fun. I still think it'd be cool to make a wallride. I can donate 2 4x6 pieces of plywood if you need...

I think one would be awesome at the straight section after the nearly 180 turn. That way you could go through the berm and actually overshoot it...

But anyways, I'll come and help whenever I can. Let me know whenever you want my help.
    Trevor

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan the Terrible
    This little stunt of his makes him my hero.
    I left the browser open and little Mrs. Funnygirl knew I'd be obsessing over this subject even at 10:30 when I got home tonight...

Just so you know, she is behind this project 100%, so much so that she made me buy a new hardtail this afternoon.....

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Looking sick. I would be plenty willing to come over and do some work. Whatcha doing tomorrow? Probably working. I don't plan on attending school. The first day is always enough of a zoo to be able to be missing and not be noticed.

Looks like a ton of fun. I still think it'd be cool to make a wallride. I can donate 2 4x6 pieces of plywood if you need...

I think one would be awesome at the straight section after the nearly 180 turn. That way you could go through the berm and actually overshoot it...

But anyways, I'll come and help whenever I can. Let me know whenever you want my help.
    Trevor
    Just for the record, I do not condone your truancy - get to school mister!

OK back to pump track talk - it's shaping up nicely. Wallride - I would consider it IF it really fit nicely into the flow of the course. I am shooting for maximum speed and air if possible. Watch that Mark Weir video - booyah. I've got a bunch of 2X6's but thanks for the offer. Yes I have a job concern to attend to tomorrow and then will probably do a little work on it tomorrow after the j.o.b is over. I think if we could assemble a motley crew to assault the soil next Saturday morning/afternoon we could possibly finish phase I by next weekend,

Anyone can PM me if interested in getting their dig on next Sat. Thanks.

-Future Pumpernickel Student

Jan 2005
    Oh, what'd she make you buy?

just a man
    Let's just say it was a clearance item 05 model. I think I got a steal. I'll show it to you in 2 weeks....

Jan 2005
    Just for the record, I do not condone your truancy - get to school mister!
    Yeah, like anything of any educational value occurs on the first day of school...

Besides, my schedule is totally screwed up, so they have me signed up for AP Physics B yet they have me signed up for retarded english and algebra 2. Not really a combo that goes together too well...

I figure I'll go in Tuesday and have them fix it, and that way I get away with riding during school hours. It wouldn't be the first time...

Trevor

Aug 2004
    Any wife who lets her husband do that to her backyard is a definite keeper!!!

King of the Barneys
    No Kidding! Rachel's quite the peach...

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

just a man
    Yeah, she's the greatest, I'm a blessed boy.

Update - all 3 berms are almost completed:
    8.5' "top" of the triangle

10'er

and the 11'er

Possible dig day this weekend to work on the straightaway rollers and features. PM me if interested. Thanks. Signing off so wife cannot access message board now.

Jan 2005
    I should be able to come and help out on Saturday. It looks like it's shaping up super nicely. What tools should I bring?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Are you gonna nail some old mattresses to your fence in that second pic?

Looks like you've already tested the berm in the last shot.

When's the grand opening barbee?
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

just a man
    The mattress idea has merit both in terms of safety and trailer-park style, which would fit well with my doublewide. The barbee and ribbon-cutting might be a week or two away. I think we'll be serving Ostrich burgers, you know, the "Other Purple Meat."

Barneys Unite!
    Very cool, but I gotta ask -- aren't your neighbors going to like, freak?

TF

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd
    Very cool, but I gotta ask -- aren't your neighbors going to like, freak?

TF
    Good question, I guess we'll have to wait and see. The good news is that the folks who live directly behind us have over an acre and a half of property so they aren't going to hear/see/care much. They're also not in our subdivision so they cannot complain to the HOA about anything. They're good people so I am not worried about them. The neighbors on the left side probably won't care either since they've got about 1/2 acre also and are rarely home. The track is pushed so far to the left that the neighbors on the other side can't even see it. And unless I buy a 125cc moto-x, it's not going to be very loud. That's also unless Earthpig or CBro bring over their ghetto blasters playing that country rock music they love.

Aug 2004
    What about a lil' DC Talk or maybe some Michael W. Smith during one of your BBQ's/pump track'ing sessions!?!?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    What about a lil' DC Talk or maybe some Michael W. Smith during one of your BBQ's/pump track'ing sessions!?!?!
    count me out!
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

just a man
    Funny stuff Belay.

Kat - You've officially been 'outed.'

EDIT: We're only going to be playing Megadeth, Stormtroopers Of Death, and Black Flag tunes.
    Last edited by Bombin4X; 08-30-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Hoops - Big and Small

Funnel Cloud

it's not going to be very loud.
    Oh yeah, it will be very loud when I get up to pump track speed. I figured I can pump out (no spackling involved) a funnel cloud in under ten laps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

just a man
    Man I can't wait to see you rip on this. Maybe I'll finally learn something about riding!!! I'll videotape you and put some background music in (whatever BelaySlave or Allikat would like to hear of course... )

King of the Barneys
    Well, if you ain't playin Manilow or Sedaka, I'm outta there!

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Aug 2004
    I'd like to see how a realtor would try to sell that feature of the property.

Jan 2005
    It's a hiking path...

Would you be up for an afternoon work session tomorrow, because I don't have to work tomorrow!!!

Also, I should be able to make it out on Saturday, so with my incredible shovel skills, it should be looking pretty good by the end of the day.

Let me know...

Trevor

just a man
    CBro: How about ole' Gordon Lightfoot?
    Belay: I could show you exactly how a Realtor could sell the pump track as a backyard feature
    Taco: I've decided that Sat morning starting about 8 or 9am or so I'll be working on this because we have a wedding to go to in the afternoon, I think it starts at 1pm. Shovel skills welcomed for anyone who wants to work 3-4 hours. I started working on the berm rollers tonight. Smooooth...

mtbr member
    Funny stuff Belay.

Kat - You've officially been 'outed.'

EDIT: We're only going to be playing Megadeth, Stormtroopers Of Death, and Black Flag tunes.
    K. thats better. I'm not sure how much play time I have but it does sound like lots of fun. I keep looking at my yard trying to figure out a good place to put in a pump track but I don't want the animals to hurt themselves on it. I'll watch for times I could make it down to throw some dirt and eventually see how much I like pumping.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

just a man
    If you can help that's cool, if not no worries. Almost anyone would be invited to come over and get pumped up. I may chill on the posts about this until a lot more has been done. People are probably getting sick of this thread...

Jan 2005
    I am up for Saturday at whatever time you are. I should be able to bring at least one pair of extra hands too. Do you think it'll be ready for riding by the time we're done, or should I not bring the bike?

Let me know what time I should show up, and consider me there...

If you need/want to call me, the number's 830-5351

Trevor

just a man
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTREKieee
    Would it be possible to incorparate the boulder into the flow of the track? Possibly a more technical line?
    So between your suggestion and Crash_Burn's suggestion, I was able to dig around the boulder enough to move it and submerge it enough that it will be part of the course. So I stand corrected!

Members who have read this thread: 0