Proposed Wyoming Mountain Bike Bill/Law/Fee- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Proposed Wyoming Mountain Bike Bill/Law/Fee

HB0272 proposes that all mountain bikers pay an annual $15 fee to the state. Of that $15:

• $1 goes to the agent selling the decal (one per rider, not per bike)
    • $12 goes to WY Game & Fish for conservation
    • $2 goes into a mountain bike trail fund

While I'm not opposed to contributing to a trail fund, I think this bill, as proposed, really misses the mark. If you live in Wyoming, these are the legislators who introduced the bill: Representative(s) Sommers, Allen, Gierau and Pelkey and Senator(s) Agar, Boner, Driskill and Hicks.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

All fat, all the time.
    Do hikers get to pay that too?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evan, yo! View Post
    HB0272 proposes that all mountain bikers pay an annual $15 fee to the state. Of that $15:

• $1 goes to the agent selling the decal (one per rider, not per bike)
    • $12 goes to WY Game & Fish for conservation
    • $2 goes into a mountain bike trail fund

While I'm not opposed to contributing to a trail fund, I think this bill, as proposed, really misses the mark. If you live in Wyoming, these are the legislators who introduced the bill: Representative(s) Sommers, Allen, Gierau and Pelkey and Senator(s) Agar, Boner, Driskill and Hicks.
    Thanks for pointing this out! I'm also not opposed to paying into a trail fund but would like to see a little bit different distribution of funds. I will call Mr. Boner right now!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Dirtbikes and UTVs have to be registered, boats and rafts need various decals and such.....but this mountain bike bill seems like a great way to make sure NO tourist dollars are spent in the state by mountain bikers. It's a pretty short sighted proposal in my mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeah I would argue that horse users do more trail damage. Do they have a fee for riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I've been involved in multiple Environmental Assessments that included data comparing trail damage according to user group. On standard multi-use trails, equestrian and motorized use by far leads to more erosion than hiking or biking. Poor trail design is the number one cause of trail damage due to erosion however. Mountain biking is currently one of the fastest growing user groups on public lands (next to OHV use), and is an easy target. I would argue the modern mountain biking trail represents the best example of sustainable trail building. This is especially true when compared to decades old stock trails that simple go straight up a slope because that was the closest way from point A to point B and the rider on horseback does not need to actually climb that slope under his own power or be overly concerned about the impact such actions cause.

What this proposed legislation aims to do however is make money for a state that has relied on resources extraction to fund its budget for decades and is now reeling from a downturn in the extraction industry and the realities of an international market. It is also a state heavily involved in the push to transfer public land to state control. This looks like just another way certain officials aim to show that they can afford to manage public land if it was transferred and an insight into what the future will hold if such a transfer were to occur.

It's also noteworthy that the Jackson area has by far the greatest number of trails and mountain bikers comparatively in the state. As well as the most active community when it comes to public involvement, trail groups, and volunteers for trail maintenance. We do have an active equestrian community as well, though to a lesser degree in my opinion.

I feel that if mtn bikers are expected to pay, then every saddle and backpack should have a permit hanging off of it as well. Of course all this is ridiculous and we need to let our state legislatures know how we feel about this in force. And not just the mtn biking community but all users of public land. The writing is on the wall and this is just a glimpse at what the future may hold.

mtbr member
    Here's an update:

Well bad news, the Mountain Bike Decal fee bill, HB 272, is moving forward and was just assigned to the House Travel Committee. It could be heard in Committee as soon as this Friday. And TRW Chairman Rep. Jim Allen/Fremont County, is one of the Sponsors, so its likely he will push it forward.

Bill sponsors and latest actions are at: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Digest/HB0272.pdf

All Bill info, scroll down to HB 0272: State of Wyoming Legislature

Stay tuned for more info.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deserat View Post
    but this mountain bike bill seems like a great way to make sure NO tourist dollars are spent in the state by mountain bikers.
    I wouldn't worry about that. If someone is planning a MTB trip to WY from another state, $15 isn't going to deter them - they'll be paying at least 10x that in gas just to get there. It would also be easy to play dumb if they want to avoid the fee.

I agree with all the other points folks have made though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I got to buy a $25 sticker for riding in the star valley next week. granted I am sledding, but pay to play is not a new thing. Also, the fee is pretty small. If $15 is stopping a tourist, they weren't spending any money in Wyoming anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I hear ya, and it's not my greatest concern (I could go for a bit less tourism in this valley). But if you were passing through for a day or so and you had to pay $15 to ride a trail in Jackson or you could continue 30 minutes to Teton Valley Idaho and not pay $15 and also have access to camping, hotels, good restaurants, good bike shops, etc.....maybe it does keep some folks cruising down the road?

And it's ironic that the State of Wyoming is currently going through an economic slump and in the process of passing other legislation designed to diversify the economy and finally showing signs that they are beginning to comprehend the importance of tourism, recreation, and not destroying the amazing landscape that brings people to the state. But at the same time are pursuing legislation that could have a negative effect on tourism, the only thing keeping the economy afloat at the moment. That and Magpul in Cheyenne.

And, if we're going to address this with our representative, we need to make every point we can to show how this is a bad idea.

mtbr member
    From the Wyoming Pathways face (https://www.facebook.com/wyopath/pho...528147/?type=3):

UPDATE: HB0272 has been removed from the House TRW Committee agenda for their Wednesday session: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Calendar/hcom0201.pdf.

This could be an indication that the bill has been pulled and we have had indications from some legislators along those lines. Because of the timing, it is unlikely that it will pop back up again, but we will keep monitoring the situation and will keep you updated should anything interesting happen. Thanks to everyone who spread the word and contacted their legislators. You really made a difference!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad news...we just learned that the HB0272, the "Mountain Bike Decal" bill has been referred to the Wyoming Travel, Recreation, Wildlife and Cultural Resources Committee, which is the next step in the process for this bill to become law. The bill will be considered by the committee and could be move to the floor of the House by as soon as Friday. It's time to let your representatives know that this is a ill-thought out piece of legislation that will be a major detriment to the state in many ways.

We will be providing a form on our website soon that will allow you to email your legislators (http://www.wyopath.org/advocacy/). In the meantime, you can go to that page, read our analysis of the bill and points you can make and then contact your legislators the "old-fashioned way" by calling or emailing them right away. Please also be sure to tell your friends and family to contact them as well.

You can find your legislators and their contact information here: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/LSOWEB/LegInfo.aspx

You can read the bill here: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Introduced/HB0272.pdf

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The Wyoming Pathways website and facebook page has some great information on this subject (and others). There is a great analysis of the proposed legislation as well as some well thought out comments that dissect the bill and highlight many of the concerns posted here. Check it out if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tag or no tag, this will be difficult to enforce. Most folks wont buy a tag and there will be very little money generated from tag purchases.

Never had any problems with UW parking police on not having a UW tag for my bicycle.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    subbed

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks like bill died in committee. Not surprised.