Pretty cool...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pretty cool...

let freedom ring!

Pretty cool...

Interesting..

As many of you know I was in Iraq last year serving in the military. An interesting thing happened yesterday that some may be interested in.

I got home last night and had a package on my doorstep from the good ole Govt. It was full of some interesting stuff.

Folded U.S. Flag in a presentation case with a couple of placards on each side of it with some U.S. hero stuff written on it.

A specially stamped coin commemorating my efforts while in Iraq.

A large medal hanging on a ribbon, and two lapel pins. They called these "Team Pins" these were intended for family, friends and employers who were supportive while soldiers were deployed.

The most curious thing was a Army Battle board game and a bunch of U.S. Hero "baseball cards", I didn't open the game (dont really feel like playing War)

I gave the medal to my wife, couldn't think of anyone that sacrificed more and worked harder while I was gone. I will give the lapel pins to my employer who sent my wife several hundred dollars a month the entire time I was deployed because he knew I took a pay cut.

It will be a year in November that I have been back and it was kind of nice to recieve this stuff. The best part was that it contained not stuff just for me but someone recognized the sacrafice that family, friends and employers make supporting soldiers.

Just thought some of you might be interested in this.
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Barneys Unite!
    Thanks for your service!

jones'in
    Very cool, as a former military 'dependant' it's great to hear they're recognizing the sacrifice made by the whole family. Thanks for your service.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hi Warren

That IS extremely cool, and yes touching that you gave that medal to your wife.

Again, thank you for your service

- dk

Hoops - Big and Small
    Wow a political debate - this should be fun. First off I have served my country so cut me some slack. It was'nt war time service but I did get to "protect and serve".

Folded Flag - Hmmm ... I thought this was reserved for fallen soldiers.

As for all the nice stuff I think it is important to remember a soldiers sacrifice.

Board game and collector cards seems like the military is trying to hook the young ones.

In wars past people have come back shell shocked and not willing to talk about the experience for all sorts of reasons, mainly I think because it very a very hard subject to talk about as the other people in the soldiers life really have no depth of understanding for the sacrifices that happen on the battle field.

So if this package helps you and the people in your life talk about war and rationalize what is happening in the middle east then it sounds like a good thing. It sounds like the military is actually thinking about the assimilation of soldiers back to the civilized world.

The Newshour with Jim Lehrer broadcast the names and photos of the fallen soldiers at the end of their show, I wish more people were aware of the people who are sacrificing there lives for this war. If we see the faces of the people who die we may find the strength to find a resolution to end this war.

Warning Hijacking Ahead-

Since were on the subjects of Hero's - take a look at Vernon Bakers life his story is inspirational.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/VernonBaker.htm

King of the Barneys
    Quote Originally Posted by Get Lost
    Interesting..

As many of you know I was in Iraq last year serving in the military. An interesting thing happened yesterday that some may be interested in.

I got home last night and had a package on my doorstep from the good ole Govt. It was full of some interesting stuff.

Folded U.S. Flag in a presentation case with a couple of placards on each side of it with some U.S. hero stuff written on it.

A specially stamped coin commemorating my efforts while in Iraq.

A large medal hanging on a ribbon, and two lapel pins. They called these "Team Pins" these were intended for family, friends and employers who were supportive while soldiers were deployed.

The most curious thing was a Army Battle board game and a bunch of U.S. Hero "baseball cards", I didn't open the game (dont really feel like playing War)

I gave the medal to my wife, couldn't think of anyone that sacrificed more and worked harder while I was gone. I will give the lapel pins to my employer who sent my wife several hundred dollars a month the entire time I was deployed because he knew I took a pay cut.

It will be a year in November that I have been back and it was kind of nice to recieve this stuff. The best part was that it contained not stuff just for me but someone recognized the sacrafice that family, friends and employers make supporting soldiers.

Just thought some of you might be interested in this.

That's terrific! Thanks for telling us about it, and I'm proud of you and thankful for your service. My own little contribution to the slogan "support our troops" is to pick up their restaurant tabs when I can with a handshake and word of thanks, and at home we pray for their safety and quick resolution. I was an Air Force brat most of my youth, and moved a lot-- 3 of my brothers are vets. Good stuff.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

let freedom ring!

Thank you for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    "Wow a political debate"

I haven't witnessed a "political debate" in years. I don't even think that's possible. I have seen alot of ignorant people trying to push their beliefs onto others at times.
    - this should be fun. First off I have served my country so cut me some slack. It was'nt war time service but I did get to "protect and serve".

Thank you for your service

"Folded Flag - Hmmm ... I thought this was reserved for fallen soldiers."

FYI. Folded flags in presentation cases have been presented to "very live" people for as long as the flag has been around for more reasons than I can begin to list. Although they are most popular for being handed to grieving family members at funerals. I presented my mother with one many years ago after I returned from Haiti to honor her and her support for me.

"As for all the nice stuff I think it is important to remember a soldiers sacrifice."

It is important to remember a soldiers sacrifice; as long as every Americans sacrifice. Wives, children, parents and all citizens are effected and sacrifice something. Many lose time with loved ones that they never get back while others lose securities and comforts that they may never get back.

Board game and collector cards seems like the military is trying to hook the young ones.
    I agree, they may be! Who doesn't market to the young ones in this day?

"In wars past people have come back shell shocked and not willing to talk about the experience for all sorts of reasons, mainly I think because it very a very hard subject to talk about as the other people in the soldiers life really have no depth of understanding for the sacrifices that happen on the battle field."

Your absolutely right! People have also come back and talked about their experiences for all sorts of reasons. I think mainly because it is a very hard experience to deal with and other people in the soldiers life really have no depth of understanding for the sacrifices that happen on the battle field and the soldier wants to help them understand why he does what he does. It's always more interesting to show the forlorn soldier on the news mentally distraught from his experiences of war than the one who is able to transition back into society.

"So if this package helps you and the people in your life talk about war and rationalize what is happening in the middle east then it sounds like a good thing."

Me and the people in my life have never had any problem talking about war. People talk about war every day. I am very open with all my experiences from Iraq, Haiti, Cuba and a few other places where I was involved in "peace keeping". Having been to over 20 countries and 4 different contentions/wars, and experiencing first hand what is going on I have no reason to "rationalize" what is happening in the middle east. Everyone has there own reasons for doing things. Be it carreers, family, military, politics you name it. Are we in Iraq for "oil?" some may be. Are we there to kill muslims? Some may be. Are we there to prevent further attacks on America? Some may be. Are we there to hand out candy to children and try to provide a better life for Iraqi's some may be. Are we there because we joined the military to get money for college and just ended up there? some may be. Are we there because when we go to war we get Hazardardous duty pay, line of fire pay, seperation pay and we can make a ton of cash while we are there? some may be. Are we there to kill Iraqi women and children? some may be. The reasons for being there are as numerous as the things that are happening there. Prior to popular belief they are not all bad. I had my own reasons for being there PM me and I will tell you them with no rationalization needed, just straight forward reasons.

"It sounds like the military is actually thinking about the assimilation of soldiers back to the civilized world."

I dont know if the "military" ever thought about the assimilation of soldiers back to the civilized world. Certain individuals in the military probably have. I know I was concerned with my soldiers and Marines when they returned to the civilian world. It just sounds like somebody in the Military has made an effort.

"The Newshour with Jim Lehrer broadcast the names and photos of the fallen soldiers at the end of their show, I wish more people were aware of the people who are sacrificing there lives for this war. If we see the faces of the people who die we may find the strength to find a resolution to end this war."

I do hope we find a resolution to end this war and all wars. I dont think it matters how many faces or names you plaster on television, memorials, movies. If you want to see the faces of people who die look at your neighbor, friends, relatives, person sitting in the car next to you at the stoplight. These are all the kinds of people who die because of war, terrorists attack, drunk drivers, murderers, old age, cancer and anything else you can think of. It's up to us to remember these people , their causes, and their lives. People are losing their lives whether it's on the news and we see it or not. It's always happened and will always happen. I dont watch the news, read the paper, or even get involved in many discussions about whats going on in the world. After being in so many different Wars/contentions I realize that it's just a cruel thing and it cannot be understood because it is different for everyone. If it's right or wrong can only be decided by the individual and those involved. The people who are in this war and any war fighting for what they believe and love are absolutely right to do that. The people who are against this war and any war are absolutely right to do that. This is what makes America a great place to live you have the right to believe what you want to and the right to fight for those beliefs. Others in this world are not so fortunate.

"Warning Hijacking Ahead-"

I have a strict "dont give in to terrorists" policy.

"Since were on the subjects of Hero's - take a look at Vernon Bakers life his story is inspirational."

We weren't on the subject of Hero's! We were on the subject of a box of "symbols" that were delivered to my home.

I agree with you his story is inspirational. If you take the time to listen to people you will find that almost everyone on this planet has an inspirational story. We just need to take the time to listen.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/VernonBaker.htm
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! ~Thomas Jefferson

Aug 2004
    You gonna be riding at Rock Island next Wednesday? *cough* my 34th birthday *cough*....I want to break in my new birthday present!

EDIT

I need to get you my shoes too.

let freedom ring!
    I did Rock Island last night. It's way different with platforms. I was able to do more obstacles; just didn't look as pretty ( slipping off pedals ) Pricepoint had 5.10 impacts and some Crank Brothers 50/50 as a package for $119. so I ordered some up. I like the platforms. I will be riding tomorrow morning, early.

just a man
    Thanks for your service Warren. We may not all think and feel the same way about the things going on in the world today and the decisions made behind those actions, but I think we all can be thankful for what we have because of the sacrifices made by the men and women in this country's history. Time will tell how things pan out.

I watched a Civil War movie yesterday from my sickbed and it made me realize how "easy" most of our lives are and have been, mine especially.

Thanks again,
    cp

Members who have read this thread: 0