Possibly visiting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Possibly visiting

Hi everyone, I'm from Colorado but am thinking about taking an extended trip out to the Boise area for about a month next summer. I was wondering what the bike riding scene is like out there, and if there are any rock climbers here thaat can tell me how the bouldering is up that way. The reason for my trip is that I've never really been North or West of Laramie, Wyoming, and I think that it's about time that I head that way. Also, if anyone has any information on places I can camp not too far out of the city that would help me on planning this quite a bit, thanks.

-Dan

Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    Hi everyone, I'm from Colorado but am thinking about taking an extended trip out to the Boise area for about a month next summer. I was wondering what the bike riding scene is like out there, and if there are any rock climbers here thaat can tell me how the bouldering is up that way. The reason for my trip is that I've never really been North or West of Laramie, Wyoming, and I think that it's about time that I head that way. Also, if anyone has any information on places I can camp not too far out of the city that would help me on planning this quite a bit, thanks.

-Dan
    Riding around the Boise Foothills is pretty wide open. Nothing really techy save for small sections of Hulls and Bobs. If you want rocks that are close by, your best bet is to hit up Table Rock and Rock Island or dink around the Quarry and parts of Castle Rock. Alot of the Barney riding around here is wide singletrack/doubletrack. It's fairly smooth, but gets sandy as summer wears on.

But if you have alot of freetime on your hands (which appears that you may have next summer), you may want to hit up the following areas...
    McCall
    Ketchum/Sun Valley
    Stanley

I would suggest just surfing through this forum to get the scoop on those areas. A number of us rode in those areas this summer and we have pix and trail descriptions.

As far as bouldering...your closet area is Table Rock. Lot of bouldering around there. You may want to bring a pad cuz the landing sucks in a number of spots. Have you checked out the forums at RockClimbing.com?
    http://www.rockclimbing.com/forum/us_mountain_states

There is also a number of boulding problems in the Swan Falls area along the Snake River and up Reynolds Creek road.
    http://www.asanapackworks.com/Reynol...nolds_beta.htm
    http://www.asanapackworks.com/cosmic/index.htm

You may want to buy the Boise Climbs book:
    http://www.boiseclimbs.com/

The closest campground (not including a couple of the RV places around the valley) would be the Shafer Butte campground up past Bogus. You're looking at a 16)+ mile one way drive though. It's the first one listed here:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/boise/recrea...round_list.htm

If you have any more questions just holler!

Nick

mtbr member
    Some of the best climbing in the area is City of Rocks, about 2 hours east of Boise. There is little if any bouldering but the granite spires are sweet for bolted and gear climbs. You can find a range there from 5.4 all the way into 5.13. A lot of the best stuff is 5.9-5.11.

You could also head north into riggins area. Sandy (author of boise climbs) has a book on Riggins area climbing. From what I hear, it is bouldery climbing but is roped.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Aug 2004
    Hey AK you ever climb out in Hells Canyon? Over 10 years ago we got route beta that amounted to scribblings on notebook paper and headed out there for the weekend (SOB that was too long of a drive with three other dirtbags). We eventually found the climbs, but had to deal with poison ivy, hot and humid weather, rain, more poison ivy, and very iffy exposure. It was mostly all limestone. So much different than what I was use to (columnar basalt). Haven't been back since. Ehhh but then again I'm on my 432nd go round with "retirement" from climbing.

mtbr member
    I had a few really fun sessions in hells canyon. There was a 3 pitch 10C that was a blast. The friction climbing is sure mental when you're used to powering and edging on basalt. If I weren't retired from climbing (finger problems and now a family man) I'd go back. Burn river has some fun stuff too but when I climbed there, I was with Sandy and he was documenting the climbs. I think there is some info on that in the Riggins limestone book.

Twin falls has some kind of fun stuff too. It is basalt (or similar) but not columnar. It is certainly not destination climbing though.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to everyone who replied, and thanks for all the information, you all rock.

Members who have read this thread: 0