Possible DJ/Bike Skills Park in Missoula- Mtbr.com
    Cheesiest

Possible DJ/Bike Skills Park in Missoula

We have a potential piece of land, but we need to get an association with nonprofit status formed so we can collect some loot for the park. Right now, we're trying to come up with the name of an association to sponsor the park and riders (BMX, MTB, etc.). We're looking for suggestions and volunteers, if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Don't worry, be happy!
    IMBA affiliate is $40 a year, 501(3)C is a pain in the butt, it's gone up from $150 to $400 ( I think ) to apply. You might want to find some other non -profit to partner with. We are in the middle of getting our application reviewed by the IRS, we've been at it for over a year and a half and we are still not done.

formica

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    If you get it going, give me a pm. I plan to be in Missoula mid-June.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

mtbr member
    Yep, 501c3 status takes a while to get established. Usually there is an umbrella organization in the area that will act as the receiving agency for any $ and they then forward it to you. That way it stays tax deductible. Someone active in the community/city should be able to point you to them. This will work until you get established and have an active board. Will you be presenting to Roger Millar? He just left McCall to become Missoula's new planning director (not sure of the exact title).

Cheesiest
    Thanks for the replies.

Formica-sounds like a pain in the ass. Maybe I'll search out another avenue.

mtnbykr06-I'll let you know what is up.

Wayndar-I haven't heard about Roger Millar. We've been working with Donna Gaukler

Don't worry, be happy!
    for the 501, you just need to find a tax accountant to do the application for you.

Cheesiest
    Formica-is the $150-400 for the tax exempt status?

Don't worry, be happy!
    As I understand it, from what we ( www.fttrc.org) have done, you fill out the initial application and submit it with an application fee. The fee was $150 but I think it's gone up to $400. The application is one of those great IRS things that have 50 pages of instructions and 50 pages of forms to fill out. You will have to have a set of official by laws that describe the structure and function of your organization, with examples, a sample of your budget and so on. After you submit everything, they cash your check and then you wait forever to hear back from them. The applications are assigned a case worker who reviews it and tells you what you forgot to fill out or submit. I think if we had had a tax accountant review our stuff, we would have saved some time. A guy offered to do it,but then he let it sit on his desk for 4 months so we said screw it and sent it in anyway.

We are right at the phase where we are fixing all the things that weren't correct. They are really minor, like verbiage of our bylaws and forgetting to check a box and things like that. One good thing is that once you get it, it's retroactive for two years.
    We did get a cash grant last year and had a related organization act as our "fiscal pass through agent".

formica

mtbr member
    Good luck with the whole thing. I was pretty disappointed last fall when we couldn't ride in the skate park and couldn't find a dj park either. The city is pretty cool though and was definitely bike friendly.

Cheesiest
    Wayndar-Thanks man. I really dig Missoula, but the lack of skatepark access and dirtjumps sucks. Hopefully, we'll have some stuff by this summer.

Salad Days
    Have you contacted Limb? http://www.limb.org/ I'm sure they are a non profit.

Also, the bike doc and Gonzostrike on MTBR might have something to say on the subject.

Cheesiest
    J-

I've been in contact with both Eric and Marlana, but not Gonz. I think we should be able to get some money from MTB Missoula. We just need a few things first (plans, name, etc)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you have a solid plan I would definately talk to someone who knows how to get something like this accomplished. See: Brendan's Wave, The New Skatepark. You remember how long it took those guys to get the city to agree? Though the skatepark was a financial thing, the wave was a bunch of bs. Mind telling where you want to put it? I would approach another organization who can help you with the 501c3 status thing, who would also sympathize with the issue. Since there are about 5000 non-profits in this valley you should be able to find one to umbrella you under. Then you can do what they do: Write grants to get money to pay yourself for the time it takes you to write more grants! Pump track?

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    For the by-laws, I would plagurize another mtb group's by-laws as much as possible, supplementing where needed. It will save you a lot of time, and you won't spin your wheels as much.

If you can find an accountant that rides and wants to get involved, ask him to help. You will also spend less time in the IRS queue, as Formica mentioned.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

Members who have read this thread: 0