Pole Mountain/Happy Jack in Wyoming for Fat Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Pole Mountain/Happy Jack in Wyoming for Fat Bike

Hi,

Hoping someone localish or in the know could chime in. I'd (rather, my wife) would like to get some skiing in over the next few weeks and she wants to accommodate me fat biking at the same time. It looks like Happy Jack/Pole Creek Trails does some grooming and is open to biking, but I'm not sure if they mean "summer biking" or if there are trails for fat bikes as well there. Or if they actually groom it at all.

My main fat experience is on groomed stuff or pretty packed in trails just off Peak-to-Peak Highway in Colorado, so something that might be comparable to that would be ideal.

Thanks! Shooting for a trip by the early part of march, so about 3 maybe 4 weeks out from posting day.

-Jason
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

mtbr member
    Yes, we have about 10 miles of machine-packed singletrack along with the 15k of nordic ski trails. Check out the winter trails on TrailForks or stop at the Pedal House in Laramie to get a paper map. Up-to-date conditions on the Happy Jack Fatbikers face.

Park at the Tie City trailhead, you can both take off from there. The wind is always brutal in the parking lot but it gets a lot better once you enter the trees.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway

mtbr member
    ...and your wife can find a map of the ski trails here, or pick one up in the Tie City warming hut.

BTW, you are totally allowed to ride wherever you want, including the ski trails. It is National Forest land and no group has private use of any trail. Tensions around here have really mellowed out, and if the ski trails are firm and you want to ride along with her for a bit while she skis you are totally allowed to do that. That being said, the winter singletrack here is on par with the best you'll find. If you don't know what to ride, check out the course for the Roll a Fatty Snowduro we did last month.
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. -Ernest Hemingway