A point about trail etiquette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

A point about trail etiquette

I've been behaving with good etiquette but getting some "interesting" responses or results.

Case in Point:

Hikers coming up trails wide enuf for two (freeway the most easy example), I'll ride to the far right, when someones coming the other way, giving the other user PLENTY of room, yet they will still stop, and move off to their far right completely off the trail. They don't need to do this - why do they do this?

The other is climbing up Sidewinder yesterday, a group with team jerseys was coming down, some cute chicks in that group good deal - I don't like to mess up peoples fun coming downhill if I don't have to, even if I have right away, so I moved way over to the left onto the little off-camber section and off the main singletrack -but the last person in the group skid her wheels and gave me a dirty look, even though I WAS TRYING TO HELP HER/THEM OUT!!!

The more anal amongst us will say tisk tisk you should always stop, move over and angulate your bike off the trail; but if it's so glaringly not necessary????

WFT???!!!???
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

King of the Barneys

Brown's rules of order...

1.Downhill riders must yield to uphill riders. Stop
    at the edge of the trail and let the uphill rider
    pass. As the yielding rider, don't ride off trail, but
    stop, lean your bike out away from the trail, and you
    may place the outside foot off-trail if it's a narrow
    trail.

2. Mountainbikes yield to all other users. Slow down
    or stop for pedestrians, slow down or stop for dogs,
    horses, strollers, aliens, you name it, we slow down
    or stop for everybody. A friendly greeting and
    advance warning coming up behind other users is very
    important, too.

3. STAY ON THE TRAIL. Don't cut switchbacks, don't
    ride off the trail. Ride through the middle of mud
    puddles, if any, so as not to widen the trail. Stay in
    the middle of the trail if at all possible. This is
    probably the biggest problem we see out there. That
    and not yielding to uphill traffic and other users.

4. If the trails are soft from rain, DON'T RIDE THEM.
    Our soil is not forgiving when it's soft and muddy
    like east coast trails. Go home, go running, go
    skiing, or sit on your couch, but if the trails are
    too wet, stay off them.

5. Don't remove rocks from the trail. Hard to
    believe, but folks have been caught doing this with
    the excuse that they were making the trail "easier."
    If you can't ride it, walk it. Don't ride around a
    feature. Stop and carry your bike over it so that you
    stay on the trail.

6. Don't lock up your tires and skid. This tears up
    the trail and promotes erosion. Control your speed,
    or learn to ride faster, but don't fly into corners
    and then tear up the trail dragging a rear tire with
    the brake on. These make "barney divots" that turn
    good trails into miserable washboards over time.

7. If you ride with a dog, bring water, and pick up
    after the beast. Always.

8. Always wear a helmet, and insist that other riders
    do, too, especially your kids.

9. Pick up after yourself. No candy or power bar
    wrappers, gu wrappers, kleenexes, you name it, just
    pack it out. No big deal.

10. Be careful going downhill, especially around
    blind corners. Slow down, announce yourself, or
    you're likely to crash into someone coming up. Expect
    lots of traffic on Hulls Gulch, up AND down.

11. Ride on marked trails only. Do not violate
    private property postings. Do not make your own
    trail. Do not ride on trails that are marked closed
    to bikes. Close gates after you go through them.

12. If you ride alone, take a cell phone and make
    sure somebody knows where you'll be riding.

13. Smile, wave, slow down, say howdy, have fun out
    there, and don't be so arrogant and serious that you
    can't yield to other users and riders.

Thus endeth the Lucky 13 Commandments..

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Chris,
    I wasn't implying that you are anal at all - I think you mentioned the lean the bike over one a while back and that's a great one. My point was there's plenty of room, there really is no need to stop. If I'm hiking one way and a rider is coming the other way and they go way to the other side (not off trail, I didn't say off trail), I'll keep going as there's plenty of room.

I once had a Logic teacher in college and I crushed a coke can on the ground in front of him. he must have thought I was anal about it and so he (mockingly) kept continually crushing it "good" in front of me. That was pretty funny!

King of the Barneys
    I'm with you a hundred percent. I just posted the whole list so it could stay together.

I don't like the dramatics when I slow waay down for hikers, even on wide trails, and they make a big deal about moving way off the trail as if I'm a mtndewd crazed fool who would likely run them over.

CDB
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't like the dramatics when I slow waay down for hikers, even on wide trails, and they make a big deal about moving way off the trail as if I'm a mtndewd crazed fool who would likely run them over.

Word Up!!

I knew you would out-articulate me counselor!

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBro
    I'm with you a hundred percent. I just posted the whole list so it could stay together.

CDB
    That always bugs me too. How they look at you like you are a friggin alien monster ready to eat their first born. The other day I was coming down by the shooting range and a lady walking up with two dogs had stopped in the middle of the trail was facing down the trail ( back to me) gesturing about something to her companion. I got within 10 feet and said excuse me, so I could get by and she turned around and didnt move and gave me the "horrible mountain biker" dirty look. So I went by very slowly off the trail and then her dogs took off and ran right into my wife who was behind me a little bit. Just wanted to vent.

Mark
    Ride the bike.

dirt enthusiast
    since i hike every morning and ride often, i see different aspects all the time. many of the riders i've encountered lately are of the "amateur" kind. they pass from behind and dont mumble anything. so i've been giving out a hearty HELLO!!! or 'MORNING!!! when they ride by. i dont expect someone to sound like a freight train coming through, just let me know that you're there. believe it or not, i do not have any spidey senses and can not hear you, nor do i have eyes in the back of my head. i think those develop after you have kids! and dont say "on your left" and then go right!

i have found that its not just mtn bikers that need some trail etiquette classes. many hikers are feeling self righteous and trail hoggy too. it amazes me at how many people must hike shoulder to shoulder instead of single file. i've bumped plenty of people that are so strong willed they wont fall back behind someone. i havent pile-drived anyone into a stinky boosh yet but it just might come down to it......

we rode in military reserve the other day for a quick-right-after-work ride and there was a gung-ho guy out there charging up the hill. since i was the downhill rider, i pulled off to the side and waited for him to pass me. he said something to the effect of "you're ok" and proceeded to go off trail at least 2-3 feet!! as he went passed i encouraged him to stay on the trail but i'm sure his mind was elsewhere.

we pretty much know what we can expect to find in the lower footies. whether it be a hiker or a biker, trail etiquette is lacking.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    May 2004
    indeed. I bet certain world class rider(s) in the valley are laughing at these silly posts too. (your bf being one o' them).

Their more concerned on landing a 40 foot gap from a one foot wide log 30 feet off the ground when they get to ride that stuff!

dirt enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    indeed. I bet certain world class rider(s) in the valley are laughing at these silly posts too. (your bf being one o' them).

Their more concerned on landing a 40 foot gap from a one foot wide log 30 feet off the ground when they get to ride that stuff!

dont be so quick to pass judgement. i'm not sure where you're coming up with the idea that certain riders would be laughing at a post regarding trail etiquette when most are huge advocates for it. when i ride with certain people, all are making attempts to give the best impressions of the mtn bike community.
    i might be going to hell in a bucket, but at least i'm enjoying the ride

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes indeed - just separating the essence of the sport or various styles of it from the sideline stuff. One would think you know what I mean

gringo-fied facsimiles

zuh?!?!?!?!?!

Yes indeed - just separating the essence of the sport or various styles of it from the sideline stuff. One would think you know what I mean
    As usual Darryl, I nor my gf have any idea in hell what the hell you are talking about.
    http://www.bradwaltonphoto.com
    "you slow whitted rectal beltch" -sp

mtbr member
    May 2004
    "As usual Darryl, I nor my gf have any idea in hell what the hell you are talking about"

The logic of it should in essence say "I AND my girlfriend". Not You and then excluding her - since you both don't know what the hell I'm talking about!

see below:

As usual, Daryl, neither I or my girlfriend have any idea in hell what you are talking about!
    Daryl, my girlfriend and I don't know what the hell you're talking about (as usual)!
    Daryl, both me and (insert name of GF) don't know what you're talking about!
    Me and () don't know what the hell you are talking about, Daryl!
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 04-05-2007 at 09:23 AM.

TERVOR THE GREAT
    Yeah, to avoid these problems I just blow by everyone I encounter on the trail at warp speed. If I clip them with my bars I just add 2 seconds to my time...
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

mtbr member

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by DelTaco
    Yeah, to avoid these problems I just blow by everyone I encounter on the trail at warp speed. If I clip them with my bars I just add 2 seconds to my time...
    At least you are one step above the majority of the down hillers around here. You may blaze by everyone, but you probably are staying on the trail!!!
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lotsa fun hitting a certain feature on Hulls over and over again last night. Thanks to the guy who built it up (met him last night).

Just need to feel comy going a lot faster so sail out a lot further

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    A real rock star
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    who the hayl is that, one of the lead guitar players from Night Ranger? And what keywords did you type in to find what you were looking for - I mean looks like you knew exactly what you were lookin for, and all
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 04-05-2007 at 09:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

They're

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    "As usual Darryl, I nor my gf have any idea in hell what the hell you are talking about"

The logic of it should in essence say "I AND my girlfriend". Not You and then excluding her - since you both don't know what the hell I'm talking about!

see below:

As usual, Daryl, neither I or my girlfriend have any idea in hell what you are talking about!
    Daryl, my girlfriend and I don't know what the hell you're talking about (as usual)!
    Daryl, both me and (insert name of GF) don't know what you're talking about!
    Me and () don't know what the hell you are talking about, Daryl!
    As usual, Daryl, neither I nor my girlfriend has any...

Daryl, both I and my girlfriend don't know...

I and () don't know...

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    As usual, Daryl, neither I nor my girlfriend has any...

Daryl, both I and my girlfriend don't know...

I and () don't know...
    Thank you for somebody finally speaking up about gramar. I have to read his posts about three times before I can actually undertand what his intent is.
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes contraction for "they are" sorry :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

What's that smell?

Step away from the hooka, put the super skunk down and move your fingers away from the keyboard!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not passing any judgement on anybody - if you mean I'm saying that just because some riders are "world class" that they don't care about trail etiquette or local trails, that's NOT what I'm saying at all.

Believe me, I'm not putting that much energy into this to "pass judgment". LOL..

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes, "has" can't believe I missed that.
    Anyway, the reason BB has trouble deciphering intent is because a lot of times it's couched in tongue in cheek or there's a littel easter egg attitude in there or what have you!

Edit:

waitaminute. Is that correct?

We have an idea
    I have an idea
    We "has" an idea?
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 04-05-2007 at 12:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Fun at lunch

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    A real rock star
    Twisted,

I call you with Cream Corn and raise you with a mullet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes, "has" can't believe I missed that.
    Anyway, the reason BB has trouble deciphering intent is because a lot of times it's couched in tongue in cheek or there's a littel easter egg attitude in there or what have you!

Edit:

waitaminute. Is that correct?

We have an idea
    I have an idea
    We "has" an idea?
    "If both elements are singular, then their verb is singular too."

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...er_lessons.htm

In cases when mixing 1st and 3rd persons, the verb agrees with the latter: "...my girlfriend has..."

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    POTTY TRAINING
    Skunks are naturally very clean animals and "corner trained" instinctively. The baby WILL chose its own corner! For now, accept your skunk's choice. Place several thicknesses of newspaper or a litter pan with UNSCENTED kitty litter in the corner your skunk has chosen. (Placing a plastic garbage bag on the floor under the newspaper will make clean-up easier.) If it has an accident and doesn't make it to its corner, remove offense and saturate the area with plain white vinegar. You must pour enough so that the carpet, the padding and the floor underneath get soaked. As the vinegar dries, the odor is neutralized and your skunk should not return to that spot. The vinegar should not harm your carpets and your home will smell like a salad for only about 10 minutes. Keep the area that your skunk has chosen cleaned regularly since skunks will avoid a smelly bathroom.

With a lot of patience and a fair amount of time, you can move his or her bathroom to a place more acceptable to you. Each day, move the newspaper or litter pan 4 inches toward a corner you can let the skunk have as a bathroom. If you are lucky, he will follow. If not, give in gracefully, let him have his corner and block the view with a chair or bookcase placed catty-cornered or some other decorative idea. Learning to live with a skunk DOES involve compromise, usually on your part.

On a weekly basis, clean the litter box or floor with a solution of 1/4 cup of Clorox to 1 gallon of warm water. This formula will not cause health problems or damage your skunk's lungs and should not damage your carpet.

mtbr member
    Boy am I glad you posted that! I just received my first ever easter skunk, a couple of days early, and was curious how to train it. I have heard, once you have them trained it's easier to collect their eggs.
    Everytime that wheel turn round
    bound to cover just a little more ground!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Alright. The main point of this thread was exactly what Cbro and I were saying. Well he added some things to what I said, and then expressed what I said in a better way.

Basically, hikers and others I don't feel need to move over and make a big drama out of it if there's room for everybody.

Unless of course, or maybe, if a mtn biker is ripping downhill and they feel it's safer for them to move off trail.

What do you think about what Cbro said?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

School house rock

Hurray the bus is here

mtbr member
    dude... i want that shirt!!!! does it come with a bra?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

so close behind I could smell his b.o.

So what's the rules regarding riders going different speeds on a section of single track where there's no room to pass? I presume from tonight at the Military reserve it's just put your front wheel 3 feet from the back wheel of the guy in front of you. If I see a slower rider ahead, I usually pull over for 30 seconds or so to ensure empty trail for my ride down, but I guess that ain't the rule if your expensive lycra outfit is worth more than my bike. I wish I'd just slammed on the anchors rather than just kept riding slower and slower.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Now that is a shuttle vehicle!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    May 2004

if you want to pass, pass

Quote Originally Posted by gooner
    So what's the rules regarding riders going different speeds on a section of single track where there's no room to pass? I presume from tonight at the Military reserve it's just put your front wheel 3 feet from the back wheel of the guy in front of you. If I see a slower rider ahead, I usually pull over for 30 seconds or so to ensure empty trail for my ride down, but I guess that ain't the rule if your expensive lycra outfit is worth more than my bike. I wish I'd just slammed on the anchors rather than just kept riding slower and slower.
    Just ask or say something and pass. Most people are cool about it

Hi!!!
    I think what gooner is saying is that he was riding and a dude in an expensive lycra outfit was riding his ass and didn't say anything.

I think.

mtbr member
    if they want to pass, they'll say something and you can lean the bike over to the edge of the singletrack (not going off trail), step off and let them pass. if it bothers you that they're that close behind you (but they're not calling to pass), tell them that you'll pull over at the next convenient spot to let them by...
    there are plenty of times that i end up behind someone that is going at a casual pace and i just fall into the same pace since i'm just out there to ride (not train). if i want to swing by, i just say "hello" and start a conversation and eventually ask if i can swing by. most riders, once they recognize that they're behind you, will ask if i want to pass... if someone is behind me, i ask if they want to pass and if they do, i let them pass at the first convenient spot.
    of course, there is special treatment for dorks that:
    1. when you want to swing by, don't yield and hog up more of the trail.
    2. doesn't want to be passed by girls on bikes (a special pet peeve of mine)
    3. pass you at 30mph to try to make a point yelling at the last second "TO YOUR LEFT!" like an Olympic podium spot depended on it.

just a man
    This thread has seriously gone astray. However, Stryper, Metallica, and especially Nelson, wouldn't be too upset to know they're still huge in Idaho.

mtbr member
    May 2004

point #3

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    if they want to pass, they'll say something and you can lean the bike over to the edge of the singletrack (not going off trail), step off and let them pass. if it bothers you that they're that close behind you (but they're not calling to pass), tell them that you'll pull over at the next convenient spot to let them by...
    there are plenty of times that i end up behind someone that is going at a casual pace and i just fall into the same pace since i'm just out there to ride (not train). if i want to swing by, i just say "hello" and start a conversation and eventually ask if i can swing by. most riders, once they recognize that they're behind you, will ask if i want to pass... if someone is behind me, i ask if they want to pass and if they do, i let them pass at the first convenient spot.
    of course, there is special treatment for dorks that:
    1. when you want to swing by, don't yield and hog up more of the trail.
    2. doesn't want to be passed by girls on bikes (a special pet peeve of mine)
    3. pass you at 30mph to try to make a point yelling at the last second "TO YOUR LEFT!" like an Olympic podium spot depended on it.

I think applies particularly well to riders of cyclocross bikes (Twisted excepted, of course), :-) wearing team jerseys. They're training and to have someone interrupt them oh my gosh!

No seriously I can understand serious trianing better on the road with fast roadies for less interruption yeah?

If I'm on somebodys butt climbing (rare, and I am NOT a fast climber), I usually back off a bit and give them some room, or politely ask if I can pass. I guarantee I get passed on climbs a lot more than I pass!

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER