planning a tour of sun valley area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

planning a tour of sun valley area

a friend and myself are planning on driving to the sun valley/ketchum area this summer in july. it'll take three days to drive there from asheville, nc. we've planned on taking two weeks for the trip. so wheres the fast stuff out there? is there any way to do a huge ride on nothing but trail? where can you camp? whats a good to place to eat? is there any place to hunt cougars? wheres a hip place to get sloshy?

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker
    a friend and myself are planning on driving to the sun valley/ketchum area this summer in july. it'll take three days to drive there from asheville, nc. we've planned on taking two weeks for the trip. so wheres the fast stuff out there? is there any way to do a huge ride on nothing but trail? where can you camp? whats a good to place to eat? is there any place to hunt cougars? wheres a hip place to get sloshy?
    Mr. Baker:

Whoa - long way to drive for a Sun Valley trip, but you have chosen wisely for a destination! Here's a link to a thread answering a similar question from last summer:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=213528

All the "stuff" is "fast stuff." You're not going to find much in the way of technical trails in that part of the state, but what you will find is fun, fast, and buff singletrack.

Not sure about camping in the area, but I'm sure Belay Slave on this forum can clue you in for that.

Hunting cougars? Again, I'll defer on that question to those in the know.

Getting sloshy, cattywhumpus and poopy? Now, there's a question right up my alley! I'd hit Lefty's, the Roosevelt, and my favorite, Grumpys. There's also a great little Irish/Scottish bar in the basement of one of the buildings on Sun Valley Road, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Downtown is small and walkable, so you can hit pretty much everything.

Have a good trip!!!

From, Mr. Baker

Hi!!!
    This is the newest version of "Good Dirt"...same author, same rides, different publisher and layout:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

What kind of camping do you wanna do? Car camp? Very primitive, off the beaten path? If you want to car camp here are a couople of links to campgrounds...
    Ketchum Ranger District:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sawtooth/rec...ampingsnra.htm
    Sawtooth National Recreation Area:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sawtooth/rec...ampingsnra.htm

If I am staying close to Ketchum, my first choice will always be the Wood River Campground about 7 miles north of the SNRA HQ nroth of Ketchum.

There are opportunities to camp for free around the area. North of Ketchum take a right onto Baker Creek Road and you will see a number of places you can camp. I think there are also places off of Deer Creek?? and Warm Springs Road.

More later....I need to go pee.

It definately would help if you had a map of the area so you know what we are referring to.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Hunting cougars? Again, I'll defer on that question to those in the know.
    There are very friendly cougars in Sun Valley. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

liver abuser
    I hope a cougar hunts you. Successfully.

mtbr member
    I agree with BS on wood river behind SNRA. There are some good areas up Trail Creek road too. Think about where you're riding and keep your drives short.

If you're there a while, it is worth driving over galena summit and riding in the Stanley area too. Especially if they don't steal the Whiteclouds from us.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    definitely hit the stanley area, do the basin to little basin ride, one of the best rides up there. when we were there about 3 years ago there was a cool little bar in lower stanely right on the river, actually had our burgers n beer on the deck out behind that was right on the river. Get a hold of the AdventureMap of the area, does a good job in laying it all out. I heard there was a bad fire in the fisher creek ride area but that was sweet too.

slownfat
    Mr B (EPig) is correct on the bar scene (and his liver would know!). SV/Ketchum is a great place to booze it up and rub elbows with the offspring of the well to do. You can see many a celebrity as well hiding out from the Hollywood bustle up here in sleepy ol' Idaho.

Like many mountain resorts, SV is pricey (one of the two most expensive grocery stores in the US is located in Ketchum) and accomodations are nice but come at a price. You'd probably be happier camping and even riding a little farther up in the Stanley area. Just as many rides and good times for all. Rides abound in the Stanley area and the views are some of the best in the west. Mountains that soar up like the Alps, trails that wind through the woods and challenge the best riders.

Most people make a loop out of it, coming up through SV and going to Stanley, then around Challis and back out. Take some time and explore the White Clouds and Boulder Mountain ranges, do a little hiking and a lot of riding. You can hit Fisher Creek, 4th of July, any number of trails right out of Stanley, and yes, even quickly hit a few SV trails on the way up to that area (Fox, Chocolate, etc.)

Bars outside of SV are really cool, low key affairs with friendly locals and good cheap liquor. They are full of folks who will gladly strike up a conversation and point you to the best trails in the area. Bars in SV are priced out of the pocket of most mtn bikers on a budget. They are full of the sporto set who spend more time modeling their gear than using it.

Hunting cougars isn't really recommended in the SV area as you will be likely run out of town by the SV locals for such an wonton offense against a defenseless creature. However, head about anywhere else where ranching is still pretty much a way of life and the folks in those areas will hand you some bullets, rub sheep blood on your a$$ and send you in the woods to become the man you hope you can be when the kitty is perched on a rock above you, licking it's chops and thinking of east coast hor'derves.

Of course if you are actually lucky enough to cap a cat, you'll still need to deal with the issues of cleaning/mounting/shipping such a beast back home (though I now have a funny picture in my head of a car with a stuffed cat on the roof rack heading down the freeway ala the dead grandma in Chevy Chase's "Vacation".) That said, you'd also need to make sure hunting season is open, you have a license, blah, blah, blah. At any rate, it's not really a practical idea to combine a hunting trip and a mountain bike trip.

Unless I misunderstood and you meant "cougars" as in the slang term for horny old ladies who like to pick up on younger guys. In which case, you need to stay around SV, wear your gear, and hope they pick up the bar tab along with you. But in that instance, the 'riding' you'll be doing won't be the kind you drove all the way to Idaho for...and you could have stayed home for that action.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pstar
    They are full of the sporto set who spend more time modeling their gear than using it.
    Isn't this true of the entire Scum Valley area?

In FTF We Trust
    Here's the thread from my trip there in October. There's a few ride recommendations there, but we stayed at the Tamarack Inn, didn't camp. You can't go wrong eating nearly somewhere downtown, we didn't have a bad meal there all week. The movie theater has killer pizza and beer too, if you're into that.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    if you would like to see pictures from our trip out there a few years ago and read the trip report, just check out www.nittanymba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

yes...

thanks folks. yes i will of course obtain a map. in my part of the world, we refer to "cougars" as older women who prey on young men. obviously the liver abuser isnt a golfer.

slownfat
    yeah, i sort of thought you might be referring to those types of 'cougars'!! and yes, the liver abuser is a golfer on the rare occasion he can't find a bike to ride (which is rare indeed!) there are plenty of good things to see and do in SV, let me know if you need more info. ashville is an equally pretty place to ride except for the muddy roots, rocks, and the like. my folks moved from idaho to easley, sc a few years ago for work. we visit ashville once a year, usually go to biltmore and grove park inn. i always thought one year i should bring a bike out. the woods there are very unlike the woods here. but i'm sure you'll enjoy riding the idaho mountains. plan on driving longer than 3 days to get here though, more like 4.
    p*

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I’m no golfer but if you are looking for cougar, try Sun Valley Lodge Duchin Room. If you’re lucky, maybe Dr. Ruth will stop by and you can slam some vodka and pick up a tip or two from her. She's a hoot!

For suds, I would suggest Grumpy’s. They have schooners of beer and the fowl burgers are great. You won't find any fur coats or celebs at Grumpy's.

aaarrrggghh!

Transplant

As an Asheville transplant to Boise, I would say the singletrack in and around Asheville is among the best in the county. If you complain about mud, roots, rocks, and the like then I suppose your missing the point. I went riding there last May on trip to visit family and friends and came back to Boise in a funk. I really miss the trails there. Another part of NC I like is the lack of attitude among the riders. No cares who you ride for, what team your on, or how light your bike is. People are just excited about being out in the woods. Great folks.

As for park baker, you'll have a great time riding in Sun Valley. Its completely different than what your used in A-ville but great nonetheless. Tell Wes at Sycamore Cycles that Ian said hi the next time your in the shop.

slownfat
    ivan, i wasn't complaining at all, just saying it's different. a challenging ride is still a challenge, no matter where or what you ride. i have a lot of friends from out east in that area, they love it, talked a ton of how cool the trails are and how deep and inviting the woods are there. they do all complain about the rain making it difficult to come off a ride without crashing or causing major wear on parts, but i've never heard a bad thing about the area, the riders, or the trails.

my personal experience there has been limited to hiking off and on over the last 10 years that my folks have lived there but i've made a point to visit bike shops in the area each time i'm out there to get a pulse on the riding community. but at the end of the day, i'm still a western boy, used to that easy livin', smooth trail, dry sandy sagebrush ride with an occasional pine tree shaded trail at at altitude thrown in for variety. but like i said, i'd love to take a bike there someday and try it out. i've been snowboarding at sugar mtn, so why not try a mtn bike ride!! variety is the spice of life.
    p*

mtbr member
    the trails in western NC are second to none, imo.

as some of you may know, i'm from SC, and i spent quite a few weekends in western NC once i got my driver's license. i'd probably say pretty certainly that i'd move back east one day, to be near my family.....if there was only a natural snowpack. but riding year round would be a bonus again.

as for tudes on bikes...they're everywhere.

back on topic. park baker. you'll enjoy sun valley. long way to come but you will have a blast. definately make sure you get some rides in up in stanley though.

liver abuser
    My golf clubs are right next to my ice skates. Just waiting on hell to freeze.

Members who have read this thread: 0