Pipestone 12-29- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pipestone 12-29

Salad Days

Pipestone 12-29

I went for a ride yesterday. Pipestone is just over homestake pass from Butte. It is usually the driest place around, good for spring and fall, but mid-winter? Where's the damn snow? The riding is pretty fun, lots of banked corners and technical rock sections. It is used mostly for motorcycles and four wheelers, which makes it pretty unrideably loose most of the year. I hear Evil Knievil used to ride there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Salad Days
    The abandoned pipestone hotsprings. Just begging to be poached.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Now you see why we used to say "Butte is 5 miles from Montana" when we lived there.

You should try some of the single track north of I-90 on the east side of Homestake. It burned several years ago but it was the same quality of your pics - granite knobs in dessert shrub. It may have been overrun with evil quads since then - it's been 8 years since I lived there.

Also in Butte there's a line that starts at Pipestone Pass, follows the crest to the south of the pass and then drops down the west side of the divide into some short but sweet single track.

For historical fun ride up the railroad grade from town (starting from where it cuts under I-15) and grind up to Homestake pass. It's a super fast descent - non-technical but there's one section that crosses a several-hundred-feet-long railroad tressle bridge with nothing but space on both sides and you can see through the railroad ties to the creek below.

Then there's the south flank of the Highlands where you can find bunches of old mining trails between Divide and the valley north of Sheridan (I can't remember the name.) If you want 4 miles in granny gear hell ride up to the top of Red Mountain (there's a fire tower up there).

Also check out Horseshoe Hills between Belgrade and Manhatten for winter rides - it's a dessert there too.

Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    I hear Evil Knievil used to ride there.
    Evel Knievel: the Buttant to which all Buttants aspire.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Picture 3 looks like a killer chunk of trail. Nothing like a a deep rut.

Justen

mtbr member
    Very nice pics Parker !! Glad to see some of us are getting out on the bike. Those trails look worthy of a 4 hour road trip...anyway, I had a nice four day block of back to back skiing at lost trail over the weekend, but the bike IS getting very lonely. I even had to buy her a gift to make her happy..NEW BRAKES !!!! yippie !

in picture #5 is that a dam, or a railroad track ???

later, Chad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    in picture #5 is that a dam, or a railroad track ???
    That's a railroad grade - it goes all the way to Butte over Pipestone Pass. The reason it's light colored like that is that the Butte mining companies used to use mine waste rock to make the railroad grades. The heavy metals (arsenic, lead, cadmium, zinc, etc.) kept vegatation from growing along the railroad which kept the it from burning during fire season.

I used to work in mine waste - Butte's only growth industry.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    The reason it's light colored like that is that the Butte mining companies used to use mine waste rock to make the railroad grades. The heavy metals (arsenic, lead, cadmium, zinc, etc.) kept vegatation from growing along the railroad which kept the it from burning during fire season.

I used to work in mine waste - Butte's only growth industry.
    I did not know that. It's probably a good thing you don't still work in mine waste Butte is a strange place. It has a lot more history than most of our state.

Chad, why would you get new brakes? I thought avid juicys were all the rage these days? Pipestone would be a good day trip for you guys if it melts out again this winter. Its been snowing and really cold lately.

I started my ski job on friday, its been pretty nice. The yellowstone club is a strange world. I have to get up early, but being out in the sun all day (and snowboarding on the clock a lot) is great. Heres a pic from the office. We are hoping to do a lost trail trip here within the next month or so, probably on a thursday If I can get my way, I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up.

John

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=TwistedCrank]That's a railroad grade

that's kind of what i guessed .... how many years you live over in Butte ? The few times that i've had the opportunity to stroll around the downtown area i've enjoyed it there. Did a crit there a few years back ... it was a pretty insane course, straight up and straight back down...heck, we were hitting the corners at 30 plus mph which were all lined with bales of hay.

I also hear the St. Patty's celebration is purty good too.

Parker ... i thought i'd try out a set of the marta's just because. Scibot convinced me they were the way to go

later, Chad
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Butte

That's a railroad grade

that's kind of what i guessed .... how many years you live over in Butte ? The few times that i've had the opportunity to stroll around the downtown area i've enjoyed it there. Did a crit there a few years back ... it was a pretty insane course, straight up and straight back down...heck, we were hitting the corners at 30 plus mph which were all lined with bales of hay.

I also hear the St. Patty's celebration is purty good too.
    I was in Butte from 1993 to 1997. I occasionally rode some with the guys from the bike shop that was next to Pipestone Mountaineering - I think it was called Great Divide Cyclery but I might be wrong. The owner's name was Pete. Great guy - a real adventure hound.

Yeah, Butte's has a fun downtown. But's it's not a great a place to raise kids - hence our impetus to move on.

Definately do St. Patty's day - the whole town shuts down for the party. You can get corned beef and cabbage by the truckload!

I've got family in Florence, Missoula and Seely Lake. Next time I travel up there I'll swing by your shop It's in Hamilton right? Have you ever done any rides near Skalkaho Pass or in the Big Hole? There are some potential epics near Jackson that I scoped out but never got to ride.

--Dirk

banned
    hey Chad, I was at Club LT on Friday... took a nice tumble in Frog Pond/North Bowl and busted open my chin. red snow from North Bowl down Outlaw to Patrol Hut. heh.

when I was down there the prior Sat I spoke to Jenny West and she told me she wanted to introduce us... I told her we'd already been in touch. she says she may buy a frame from me in the Spring.

see ya.

.anyway, I had a nice four day block of back to back skiing at lost trail over the weekend,

later, Chad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    I've got family in Florence, Missoula and Seely Lake. Next time I travel up there I'll swing by your shop It's in Hamilton right? Have you ever done any rides near Skalkaho Pass or in the Big Hole? There are some potential epics near Jackson that I scoped out but never got to ride.

--Dirk[/QUOTE]

Dirk...with that much family in this area i'm sure we'll run into each other sooner more so than later. So the next time you come back, and the weather is right we'll have to hook up...Skalkaho has trail 313 (Sapphire Divide ) that runs north or south and is a blast. You can make numerous loops from this trail...and actually one of my favorite downhills of all time spurs off of this trail.
    [/IMG]

I've spent some time in the Big Hole, and Jackson but not on a mountain bike...i'm positive a person could have a good time on a bike over there.

later, Chad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    hey Chad, I was at Club LT on Friday... took a nice tumble in Frog Pond/North Bowl and busted open my chin. red snow from North Bowl down Outlaw to Patrol Hut. heh.

when I was down there the prior Sat I spoke to Jenny West and she told me she wanted to introduce us... I told her we'd already been in touch. she says she may buy a frame from me in the Spring.

see ya.

Club LT .... pretty funny !!

well i was up there on friday also, but i gaurantee you that we were not on the same slopes....hahaha, i took my 3 1/2 year old son up for his first time. So I was on the rope tow for the first half of the day.

Anyway ... i take it that you've been welding a little bit ?? How's business going ?

(parker....sorry about jacking your thread like this !!)

Salad Days

(parker....sorry about jacking your thread like this !!)
    You bas tard. I'd actually like to know how Gonzos frame building is going too . But now its bed time. TwistedCrank - - I'm from Florence, I wonder If i know your family.

Yellowstone club had the biggest single EPA fine ever last summer of 1.8 million dollars. They have had over 400 violations since they started building it. If anyone wants to firebomb the new lodge let me know, I'll smuggle you in.

john
    Last edited by jparker164; 01-03-2005 at 10:36 PM.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Florence

I'm from Florence, I wonder If i know your family.
    My sister-in-law has a horse ranch on Carlton Creek Road, about 1/2 mile off the highway. Her last name is Underwood and her SO's name is Meyer. They're actually expatriates from Seely Lake via Missoula. I don't think they have long terms roots in Florence - we stop there every summer cos my daughter likes to ride the horses.

Yellowstone club had the biggest single EPA fine ever last summer of 1.8 million dollars.
    That's what the half million joining fee pays for - the priviledge of being spanked by the feds.

banned
    hey guys, not doing any brazing yet, my shop's getting refurbished right now. should be back to the tubes by the end of January, maybe a bit sooner.

stone cold lampin'
    I did an epic ride at Pipestone about the same day your were there Parker, maybe the day before. We started at Toll Mountain campground on the old highway between Butte and Whall. Rode up the Moose Creek Trail and joined the dirt road on the south side of Homestake. Took the road to the I-90 rest area and crossed the interstate. We climbed above the tracks and joined Delmoe Lake road, took it to the road that leads to the old Welsh quarry. Then we did what we call the quarry ride; through the quarry to the tracks, take a left and follow the trails that parallel the tracks, and crossed the first trestle. After the first trestle we tried a single track that none of us had tried before. It was sweet. Very technical with some steep ups and downs. It lead us right into the start of the slab ride, which is what we call the ride you were on (at least from what I can tell from your pictures, it has the big gnarly granite slabs). We didn't do the slab ride, instead we climbed above Spire Rock, headed eastish, and joined another trail that leads to the four corners parking area (with the outhouses). From there we took a series of trails that lead us to the lower parking area, and down to Pipestone for the shuttle rig. 28 miles total, about a 5 hour ride, and the weather was perfect; high of 45 with sun all day. It was fabulous.

Sorry for a long-winded description, but I'm pretty stoked to see some others riding Pipestone this winter. I grew up in Whall and I still ride there about 90% of the time. I'm moving back to Jefferson County (Basin) soon, so I should be there even more. If anyone ever wants to meet up for a ride I'd be more than up for it. I'll be riding lifts at Discovery most of the winter, but I can usually find time to ride.

Thanks for posting jparker!