Performance Bike setting up shop in Boise- Mtbr.com
    TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Performance Bike setting up shop in Boise

Big boxes got even bigger in our fair city. I even got a glossy thing in the mail telling me so.

There's a job for you, bro. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1_416505_-1___

Grab a 6 of something hoppy and light up your local wrench with some love.

Or go all Pearl Izumi, Schwinn and Mavic-y. Yo.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I used to manage a performance.....They suck! I feel sorry for their future customers and the shops/IBD's whose business will suffer. Hopefully people who live in Boise will be educated enough to realize that they need to support the local guys rather than a bunch of business men in N.C. . They aren't worth the few bucks that you will save.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Message from Alan Goldsmith

Quote Originally Posted by easyriderpdx503
    I used to manage a performance.....They suck! I feel sorry for their future customers and the shops/IBD's whose business will suffer. Hopefully people who live in Boise will be educated enough to realize that they need to support the local guys rather than a bunch of business men in N.C. . They aren't worth the few bucks that you will save.
    Thanks for all of the nice compliments and appreciation of my work at Supergo. Although I wanted to get back into the bike business during the last few years while I waited for my non-competition agreement with Performance to run out, I finally decided to stay retired. Yes, I am very sorry that the sale to Performance worked out as it did. I must have been temporarily crazy to hope and believe that it would turn out any different. The corporate culture gap between me and Performance's top management is on the lvel of North versus South Korea. T

The bike industy and the market has changed so much since 2002, that I do not believe there could ever be another business like the Supergo of 1990-2002. My team created a novel and fantastic business model that was the envy of bike dealers around the world. Through great prices and profuse, detail oriented catalog copy and an expert staff, we brought high quality products and fine service to countless people who would not otherwise have had access to that level. I pushed my staff to see business from the customer's point of view.

In an ecomony where things are never repaired, only replaced and it's almost impossible to find anyone who really understands what they're selling, Supergo stores really stood out as an anomoly. We sold stuff at bargain prices yet gave customers Nordstrom level service. I am very proud of the countless former Supergo employees who have taken the valuable business knowledge they learned and opened their own bike and other stores, or moved into high management positions at important companies. Sean Flynn, my former General Manager at Fountain Valley, owns a fantastic store in Huntington Beach--SurfCity Cycles. Another GM, Mike Olson of Supergo Oceanside, now owns 4 Trek stores in San Diego. And, Jim Whitsett, my Santa Monica GM owns Cynergy Bike Shop in Santa Monica. Thanks again to all of you who were my loyal and valued customers.
    No rating

Alan Goldsmith a 64 year old Die-hard Enthusiast, riding a Graftek Custom carbon road,
    2/03/08
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I miss the fountain valley Supergo. Used to go there on the way back from the San Juan
    Trail. They were always very helpful and extremely knowledgeable and had the stuff
    you wanted at reasonable prices.
    I called the new performance store here in town yesterday and asked if the Diadorra
    x-trails would be in stock at the open house. He asked what kind of product is it.
    any bets on how long this store will stay open?

Wandervans
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    I miss the fountain valley Supergo. Used to go there on the way back from the San Juan
    Trail. They were always very helpful and extremely knowledgeable and had the stuff
    I called the new performance store here in town yesterday and asked if the Diadorra
    x-trails would be in stock at the open house. He asked what kind of product is it.
    I have never heard of x-trails. I think they will do good business mainly because they have good hours. My biggest frustration with businesses in general is they close around 5 or 6 on week days and are not open good hours on weekends. Must be great for employees to work 8-5, but sucks for those of us who want to spend money.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2

Diadora Xtrail?
    I had never heard of it either until I checked Google!
    Something tells me that you didn't ask if they had the "Diadora X-Trails carbon mountain bike shoe" in stock!

Just because they didn't know about your vague description does not mean that you are now MORE knowledgeable than that individual!

Hopefully Performance will price match all on-line items because their prices are pretty close to retail when I visited their store.
    BoiseBoy

hispanic mechanic
    Back in the late 90's, I was the service manager at the Denver Circle P. It was the second retail location for them, and was a very different animal than most of their stores.
    In San Diego, I wrenched at a really cool shop that was two blocks from a Circle P, and it was one of the best business boosters! We got a ton of business from them- fixing their mess-ups, and high end stuff that they didn't have interest in working on.
    Boise LBSs will do just fine, just keep up good work and customer service.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

jalepenio jimenez
    I used to lie awake at night wondering "Whatever happened to Supergo?" I shopped a lot of components from them ten or so years ago when I built my Racer X up to my specs.
    Back then I'd go through the latest bike rags looking for their current ad and always find something I wanted and usually for the best price out there. They were my main source for bike bling back then.
    Kudos to you 98.
    As for Performance...pfffft.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I went to Performance on Friday. Didn't look at the bikes. The parts they stock are, as you would suspect, mostly lower to mid-end with the occasional high end part. (For instance, they had $249 Sidi mountain biking shoes, and the next closest in terms of price and quality was the mid to low end Shimano.) They have a reasonable supply of clothing - if you like lycra and form fitting roadie jerseys - but a lot of it is their house brand. Not that this is bad - I ended up purchasing a set of bibs for the rare road ride and was pretty impressed with what you get for the price. Speaking of, prices for non-house-brand parts/clothing are about the same as what you'd pay at an LBS. Not terribly impressed. I'll keep spending my money at Meridian Cycles and World Cycles unless I'm in dire need of something AND I happen to be in the mall vicinity. Which is generally never.

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I dropped coin there. Took my 15% coupon from a catalog, snatched some 70 banana skin sunglasses that were marked down to 60 bones. Took 15% off that after standing in line while the untrained register monkeys ask some goombahs for their email addresses so they could enter it in their system.

Now if the sun would just shine. It doesn't shine where I live. Ever.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    McBikeshop.

mtbr member
    xt cassette for $67 - not too shabby. after sale price of $79 and 15% off

was one of first 100 people, and got $20 gift card - figured i'd see a real estate agent of 50 out there early but, didn't.

got another $5 gift card because manager saw impatience building while untrained register monkeys entered mail spam info.

friend with me spun the wheel of fortune and won another $20. so, he had $45 to use.

the store isn't as expansive as their online catalog. and, as Piggy says...very limited on good stuff. that's online and in store. they're no universal cycles or similar as far as mail order goes. universal rules. good stuff, good prices.

got a good deal on some lube.

i have those $249 sidi shoes. they are the bomb. got 'em at an LBS in crested butte last summah because i ripped the sole off my old shoes while on the road trip.

got a free powerbar water bottle when i spun the wheel of fortune. i got no skills.

it's basically like REI's bike shop...but, a little better. also,

has the department store feel to it. a lot of **** and few good things.

i'll keep going to custom cycles when i need something.

McBikeshop. wtf...that's what i plan to call my shop one day

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Love them or hate, Performance has deals that the LBS can't even come close to matching. I bought the $250 Sidi shoes mentioned above and got them for $192. They had a deal where you bring in 3 old tubes and get $15 worth of chits. Combine that along with the 15% off 1 item coupon and a lucky spin of the wheel for another $5 chit, equals a nice sum saved, which pushed me to buy the shoes I'd been reluctant to buy for so long. I'll try to support my LBS where I can (such as my recent purchase of a very nice bike), but sometimes I have to support me too.

Members who have read this thread: 0