People riding muddy trails=unacceptable.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

People riding muddy trails=unacceptable.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone in the Bozeman area knows what a muddy trail is and that riding them is generally nut fun and very destructive to both our image and the trail.

I couldn't believe what I saw people doing in Hyalite today. I went to meet my buddy to ride Emerald and there where huge puddles on the road and the trailhead was gumbo mud. I just told him straight up that my plans changed because I am not going to ride a muddy trail after a gully washing thunderstorm the night before. It is not fun, and not to mention there are going to be like 30 people that see your dumb ass covered in mud and your tire tracks all over the trail. This is peak tourist season. This is the time when we need to be most conscious of our image as trail users. Also remember that this is a time when the forest service is taking comments about our future on some really great trails. Some friendly wilderness lovers are also waging a smear campaign against us as I write this. It kind of all adds up to DON"T RIDE WET MUDDY TRAILS. It really isn't that big a deal. You didn't expect it was going to be wet? Too bad, make other plans, go ride somewhere else. Ride it the next day when its tacky and sweet.

So after leaving the Emerald lake parking lot, I decided to check out History Rock and see if it didn't POUR RAIN there. I don't know how my buddies ride in Emerald was, but a little ways up, at the upper meadow, it went from tacky to muddy. There was still water on the vegetation. At the spot I turned around, there is an awesome sweeping corner that goes up into the woods. This is where I chose to stop as I realized it was only going to get worse. Just then, two bikers, a guy and a girl come skittering down the trail making comments about how muddy the trail was and how they couldn't grip anything and were sliding every where. I was like, "then why did you ride it", and was greeted with indifference. About two minutes later as I was packing up for the ride down, I watch this other guy, with the most priceless look of frustration on his face, lock up his back wheel, lean into it hard, and proceed to skid for like 50 feet around this most beautiful corner where the trail comes out of the side hill forest and into the meadow. Time seemed to pass in slow motion as I was watching his tire just churn up the soil like it was butter. Unreal. He also commented on how "bad" the trail was and how he couldn't get traction anywhere. Yeah, thats called mud, retard. It sucks to ride a bike downhill in. I was going to walk up and survey and try to cover up the trail damage when I realized I couldn't even walk up the slick as **** trail. Those people had come down from Langhor road. Now there is going to be countless hikers that go up there and see all the long sliding skid marks where the soil is churned up all over the trail.

Horrible public relations folks. I could only think of two ways to get us kicked off trails faster if that is what you are trying to do. #1. Approach blind corners and switchbacks at maximum velocity. #2. Build "stunts" on public trails.

At this point I was so pissed I just gave the guy a bunch of **** about the whole deal going on right now and pointed to the brand new trench in the trail he just made. Turns out he probably didn't even know where he was and was an ignorant ******* who could care less about trail impact. Oh well.

Anyways, If we can't even convince each other to respect some common sense rules, than we can continue to suffer the consequences of the Government intervening to solve our problems. In case any of you here or your buddies don't realize it, the government's solution to this situation is quite simple. Close trails to bikes. Partly because we can't obey some simple common sense rules. The forest service is on a hair trigger right now and would relish the idea of closing more trails to bikes, as their follow up performance on the GNF Travel Plan has been the Lionhead Proposal. If you didn't know, that closure pretty much wipes out all the good riding around West Yellowstone. Hyalite contains 50% of Bozemans backyard biking trails, and a lot of people use those trails. The Forest Service doesn't care if they are such great bike trails, and will not hesitate to close them. There is also a lawsuit against the forest service which demands that ALL of the Hyalite trails be closed to bikes, in case you didn't know. I like riding legal trails that don't have tire ruts and loose switchbacks! We are lucky those trails weren't taken away for four days a week instead of two with the timeshare! They are looking for any reason or evidence to incrementally shut us down even more!

I just want to remind people that the travel plan isn't permanent and will be updated. There are alot of bikers and we need to be on our best behavior. If a trail is muddy and you find out after you drove there, have another plan. You don't get to ride muddy trails just because its your day off and you can't think of anything else to do. Trails like history rock are extremely vulnerable to damage when wet from all user groups. The rules of common sense, the only rules there should be, should always apply to everyone. No one is special here. One biker (or one horse) can do a lot of damage when a trail is gumbo mud. Please NEVER ride muddy trails during any time of year. As long as we are using public trails, we have to have minimum impact. The trails are not a bike park. This is not Whistler. If you have to ride muddy trails, then move to the northwest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Tony, you are so right.

I get frustrated about rider education. I get spread too thin. As the bike club coordinator one of my intentions years ago was rider education. But with all the looming wilderness bills across the state, I had to select my priorities, and the local scene has suffered. I am incredulous at the apathy and selfishnous at the several hundred other people in the bike club who won't step forward and contribute. Whenever I do put out bulletins through the club email list, very few answer. Tony, it's an uphill battle, but the club has money and could pay to print dozens of little "don't ride when muddy" signs to attach to the FS trail signs. I'm sure you could get permission to do this from both the club and the Bozeman ranger district. Contact Jose Castro, for signage design, and Amy Chiuchiolo for assistance in getting club money. I'll be back by the 28th for advice. My schedule is packed though, I can't actually help.
    I don't know what trail we're on, but at least it's getting dark

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Its a bummer no doubt. Sadly there are a lot of selfish people out there that will not listen to reason. There whole mentality is "me doing it won't imact anything" which can be true to a certain extent, but if everyone says that...

Enjoy the trails while you can. Damn travel plan gets me so mad, they need to restrict hore travel on ALL trails. Those people are careless and destroy the trail more than any other user IMO. Not to mention those damn things are dangerous as hell. I nearly got kicked yesterday...I gotta yield to them and when I do the dumb animal nearly kills me.

Members who have read this thread: 0