Paging Justen- Mtbr.com

Thread: Paging Justen

mtbr member
    May 2004

Paging Justen

Justen,

ride report on the Turner 5-Spot Please!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Justen,
    ride report on the Turner 5-Spot Please!
    Since the Spot got here a month ago, I've done 8 rides -- just local stuff. It's tough to report on just the frame, because everything on this bike is so different than my last bike.
    ti hardtail vs 5" aluminum boing-boing
    70mm fork vs 130mm fork
    v-brakes vs hydraulic disks
    shimano vs sram x9
    steep angles vs slack angles
    low bb vs high bb

I'm really digging the riding on my Spot. The only place I prefer my hardtail is pavement, and this is mostly due to riding position. My handle bar is about 3 inches lower on my hardtail. I could lower the bar on my Spot, but I'd go over the bars when I hit a major bump and the shock really compresses. Toptube length is the same as my other two bikes. I don't notice the difference in position when riding in dirt, for some strange reason. I _really_ like the more relaxed angles -- I am much more confident descending, but there's a tendency to get some understeer compared to my hardtail. Less weight on the front wheel. I love the comfortable cushiness of the new bike. It's nice to be able to consistenty make it all the way down Bob's without unclipping, which I sometimes had trouble with before. But I'm not much of a technical rider. I think this bike helps.

The 05 Spot frame is beautiful. I like some of the attention to detail, like the bottom cablestop on the seattube for the front derailer being angled so the cable comes out straight towards the front derailer. I also like the new dye transfer logos -- it doesn't have stickers, it has ink applied directly to the frame. I've always been a fan of the Horst suspension design. It's fully active all the time, which I like. I do most of my climbing seated, and it is nice to get the washboards completely smoothed out as I'm climbing. The propedal rear eliminates most of the standing bob, so it seems a nice comprise.

The Fox Float RL 130mm Fork bobs big time if I stand and climb. It is fairly easy to lock out, but I really don't like to lock it out for offroad climbs. I might have preferred to get a platform fork of some kind. I think it needs more compression damping, which isn't adjustable. I've got it set up so that I'm getting 4.8" of travel out it on the local trails. I'm still playing with the rebound settings. I think a Talas RLC would have been a better choice. I'd like to dial down the travel, and front end, while climbing.

The Fox Float RP3 seems like a great rear shock. It has propedal, which really doesn't seem necessary on the Spot unless I stand to climb. If I turn the propedal all the way off, it descends like a comfy couch, but bobs when standing. I tend to use the middel propedal setting for climbing trails, the max setting on fireroads.. I don't have too much experience on full suspension bikes to compare it too. I've managed to get nearly the full 2" stroke on the shock, so I think I've got it tuned in ok, but I'm still playing with the rebound damping.

The Magura Louise disks are nice. I've never ridden with disks, or hydraulic brakes before. I've done a few wet rides, including bombing down trail 4 from the ridge, and I think the disks really helped there. They don't squeal, so I'm happy. However, this now means that I can't swap out wheels for the three other pairs (non-disc) I've got. Don't like that.

Got an SRAM X9 drivetrain, and I really like the 1:1 ratio of the X9 rear derailer. It's not as buttery smooth as my Shimano stuff, but seems more "sure". My Shimano stuff starts to get cranky when it gets really muddy, but the X9 works great. The push-push shifters are a wash. I never really have much preference with shifters, having a stable with Gripshift XRays, RF+, and SRAM triggers.

I'm digging the riser bars. Makes my hardtail feel cramped in comparison. Turner built this thing up with a bunch of stupid-light FSA parts. I'm not sure how long the wheels will last. I'm fairly light, and not too abusive (ie too scared for big drops), so I'm hoping they do ok for my weight and riding style.

Justen

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Please stop!

Justen - Stop, stop, stop!! I'm getting new-bike-itis just reading your post!! The 5 Spot is one of my dream (I-gotta-have-it) bikes!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good Deal

I heard you literally GOT a very good Deal on the Interbike Model.
    Thanks for the awesome post man

Quote Originally Posted by justen
    Since the Spot got here a month ago, I've done 8 rides -- just local stuff. It's tough to report on just the frame, because everything on this bike is so different than my last bike.
    ti hardtail vs 5" aluminum boing-boing
    70mm fork vs 130mm fork
    v-brakes vs hydraulic disks
    shimano vs sram x9
    steep angles vs slack angles
    low bb vs high bb

I'm really digging the riding on my Spot. The only place I prefer my hardtail is pavement, and this is mostly due to riding position. My handle bar is about 3 inches lower on my hardtail. I could lower the bar on my Spot, but I'd go over the bars when I hit a major bump and the shock really compresses. Toptube length is the same as my other two bikes. I don't notice the difference in position when riding in dirt, for some strange reason. I _really_ like the more relaxed angles -- I am much more confident descending, but there's a tendency to get some understeer compared to my hardtail. Less weight on the front wheel. I love the comfortable cushiness of the new bike. It's nice to be able to consistenty make it all the way down Bob's without unclipping, which I sometimes had trouble with before. But I'm not much of a technical rider. I think this bike helps.

The 05 Spot frame is beautiful. I like some of the attention to detail, like the bottom cablestop on the seattube for the front derailer being angled so the cable comes out straight towards the front derailer. I also like the new dye transfer logos -- it doesn't have stickers, it has ink applied directly to the frame. I've always been a fan of the Horst suspension design. It's fully active all the time, which I like. I do most of my climbing seated, and it is nice to get the washboards completely smoothed out as I'm climbing. The propedal rear eliminates most of the standing bob, so it seems a nice comprise.

The Fox Float RL 130mm Fork bobs big time if I stand and climb. It is fairly easy to lock out, but I really don't like to lock it out for offroad climbs. I might have preferred to get a platform fork of some kind. I think it needs more compression damping, which isn't adjustable. I've got it set up so that I'm getting 4.8" of travel out it on the local trails. I'm still playing with the rebound settings. I think a Talas RLC would have been a better choice. I'd like to dial down the travel, and front end, while climbing.

The Fox Float RP3 seems like a great rear shock. It has propedal, which really doesn't seem necessary on the Spot unless I stand to climb. If I turn the propedal all the way off, it descends like a comfy couch, but bobs when standing. I tend to use the middel propedal setting for climbing trails, the max setting on fireroads.. I don't have too much experience on full suspension bikes to compare it too. I've managed to get nearly the full 2" stroke on the shock, so I think I've got it tuned in ok, but I'm still playing with the rebound damping.

The Magura Louise disks are nice. I've never ridden with disks, or hydraulic brakes before. I've done a few wet rides, including bombing down trail 4 from the ridge, and I think the disks really helped there. They don't squeal, so I'm happy. However, this now means that I can't swap out wheels for the three other pairs (non-disc) I've got. Don't like that.

Got an SRAM X9 drivetrain, and I really like the 1:1 ratio of the X9 rear derailer. It's not as buttery smooth as my Shimano stuff, but seems more "sure". My Shimano stuff starts to get cranky when it gets really muddy, but the X9 works great. The push-push shifters are a wash. I never really have much preference with shifters, having a stable with Gripshift XRays, RF+, and SRAM triggers.

I'm digging the riser bars. Makes my hardtail feel cramped in comparison. Turner built this thing up with a bunch of stupid-light FSA parts. I'm not sure how long the wheels will last. I'm fairly light, and not too abusive (ie too scared for big drops), so I'm hoping they do ok for my weight and riding style.

Justen

mtbr member
    May 2004

Holiday

Justen,

are you taking the holiday time off between 12/24 and 1/3?
    If you are, I'm riding every day either here, Owhyees, or elsewhere
    Give me a shout [email protected]
    342-9052

latah