Paging Garnetspur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Paging Garnetspur

Your inbox is full... but to answer your question..
    I'd try non-UST and tubes (still lighter 200 grams total) and gives you the option of trying Stan's if you wanted to save even more weight.

mtbr member
    ha - they don't give you much storage in your inbox, do they.

damn. i'm torn...seriously. i use stans in my ust tires anyway.

for everybody else..or anyone else that wants to chime in...here's my situation:

so, i'm not a strong rider. and the yeti 575 is still hard on me climbing. main reason is rolling weight...or easiest to remedy is to reduce the rolling weight.

the wheels/tires are xt hubs laced to mavic 321 with maxxis minion dh 2.35 (super tacky).

this full set is for sale btw...and probably has 20ish rides on it (i have a hardtail that gets plenty of attention). the front hub is a TX quando 20mm.

anyway. so, i'm gonna put a set of crossmax xl wheels on the yeti. and i'm looking at tires (tubeless) for this wheelset.

crash_burn - i sent you a pm about the conti diesel 2.5. cambria has ust diesels for 35 bucks right now. they also have folding diesels for the same price. gravity 2.3 (folding) are 30 bucks, i think.

so, i'm already reducing my rolling weight by over 2 lbs; i think closer to 2.5 lbs., by swapping wheelsets and going with the diesel ust tires. if i go folding...that would save close to another pound.

thing is..i buy a lot of stuff.....always needing something..so i try to limit it because i'm part of a team (married).

flip is giving me confidence in going the non-ust (standard folding) tire on the ust rims. with some stans poured in there.

further..i know there are lots of good tires out there...but, i really like contis, so i think at this price, i'm going with the diesel...2.5.

so, the questions are this:

ust or standard folding?

2.5 up front....2.5 rear or go with the 2.3 gravity? i thinking more towards 2.5 for both.

thanks in advance for the input.

cary

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    I recommend the pulled pork
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Hi!!!
    How much for the wheels and tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    I recommend the pulled pork
    mustard based or vinegar based sauce for you?

hushpuppies, rolls, or mixed?

nick - i'll back to you on those wheels...i'm

brand new: the wheelset is $175, tires are 35-40 bucks each i'm guessing..they came with my yeti. nothing fancy at all; however, i know a lot of people like those tires. they ride nice, they're just heavy. and, i really like tubeless setups.

you got that the front wheel is 20mm, right?

Hoops - Big and Small

Light and Hard

Quote Originally Posted by garnetspur
    crash_burn - i sent you a pm about the conti diesel 2.5. cambria has ust diesels for 35 bucks right now. they also have folding diesels for the same price. gravity 2.3 (folding) are 30 bucks, i think
    Bob's has a Mavic717 WTB Disc Lite wheelset that comes in at 1720g Weight: Front: 815g & Rear: 905g, not super light, but could fit the bill.

If your looking to turn your 575 into a climbing machine your probably looking for 1600g wheelset with 500g tires?

Thanks for the lead on the Diesels, I've been riding my road bike so much I'm lokking for some cheap road tires right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    mustard based or vinegar based sauce for you?
    As an old married man, I bet Twisted makes his own special sauce to go with his "pulled pork."

As far as wheels, the WTB laser disc are light and seemed to be holding up under some strong riders that I know. For the price of CrossMax SL you could be looking at Mavic rims and Chris King or DT hubs.

My experience with Stan's products is less than stellar. You would be better off with Twisted's special sauce than Stan's tire sealant. It doesn't work well on Continental tires and when you need it most it will have turned to cottage cheese in the summer heat. Oh, and my favorite - taking diggers when the tires belch just when you need them most. There is better sealant out there. That's my rant on Stan's and I won't even get started on their rims.

Now back to my box and pulled pork!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishbuddha
    As an old married man, I bet Twisted makes his own special sauce to go with his "pulled pork."

As far as wheels, the WTB laser disc are light and seemed to be holding up under some strong riders that I know. For the price of CrossMax SL you could be looking at Mavic rims and Chris King or DT hubs.

My experience with Stan's products is less than stellar. You would be better off with Twisted's special sauce than Stan's tire sealant. It doesn't work well on Continental tires and when you need it most it will have turned to cottage cheese in the summer heat. Oh, and my favorite - taking diggers when the tires belch just when you need them most. There is better sealant out there. That's my rant on Stan's and I won't even get started on their rims.

Now back to my box and pulled pork!
    i already have the crossmax xl wheels. just lookin' to put more rubber on them.

not a fan of the stan's rims? i've heard good things about them. got you started.

pulled pork sounds good. why doesn't boise proper have a bbq restaurant.

why doesn't boise have waffle houses along the interstate?

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
    why doesn't boise have waffle houses along the interstate?
    Speak fer yerself. I'm stuck out here in franchise hell, aka "the consumer district", aka SW Boise. It all sucks out here. I'm not interested in anything they serve out here.

Funny thing is, I went to Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. Got it late at night, spent all day at a client, drove back to the airport. I didn't see any of Atlanta there but all the strip malls made it look just like Boise.

Funnier this is, I had dinner at a bbq shack. I can't remember the name but the pulled pork was not too bad. When we asked if they had a "local brew" the waitron just stared at us. When we rephrased the question "What does everybody drink around here?" she said "Bud Light".

As for the special sauce I think Stan is the man in my Conti Diesel USTs but have had bad luck with Conti Gravitys, Conti Vertical Pros and Maxxis Ignightor but so far have had no probs with it in IRC Mibros despite the humming.

Anybody interested in a free puppy?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    Pork product....yummy.

I'll take any order of pulled pork, dry and wet ribs, some rolls, two ears of corn, and some RC cola.

Try the ADvantage 2.4 up front, and 2.1 for the rear. And tell them to hold the gravy, but upgrade you to the new Mavic UST valve with the removable core. Minions DH ST UST are for the masochistic, and you must own a pair to be in Club 40.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, you asked!

So I was asked by a friend to build an ultra light set of wheels for her. Her husband decided she should have WTB laser lite disc hubs, Stanís rims and Wheelsmith spokes. The seam on the rims reminded me of something my grandpa would have done on the tractor. I didnít like the looks of the eyelets or the tire bead. But hey, maybe I am just a retro-grouch.

Once I got the wheel up to tension, I spend an inordinate amount of time chasing the lateral and radial true. It was like working with butter. Once the wheel was round, the spoke tension uniformity wasnít where I like it. It took forever! Now if it had been a Mavic rim, once I had the wheel up to tension, dished, and laterally true it would have still been magically round! Mavic Ė there is no substitute!

I thought the wheel would hold up under the intended riderís weight and riding habits. Since then, the husband has used the wheelset and pounded on them and they seem to be holding up and staying true.

Even though they are holding up, having built them, I wouldnít trust them on my bike on a rocky downhill. I think sometimes it is better to just ride the bike and not do the bike mechanic work. It goes with the, ďIf I donít know, it canít hurt me.Ē

think pink
    The BBQ place out in Eagle is pretty darn good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There's a new place in the Ram Plaza called Bryan's Smokehouse. Pulled pork was pretty good. Dry ribs were promising, but nothing like Corky's, The Rendezvous, or Bozo's outside of Memphis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gtovey
    The BBQ place out in Eagle is pretty darn good.
    problem is it's out in eggle...and they'll probably move to meridian. but, it is good.

bryan's smokehouse..yeah, think i've see that place. i'll give it a try.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    you forgot Interstate!!!
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Visicypher
    you forgot Interstate!!!
    Heard of it, but never got the chance to eat there! Aw, man, now I'm hungry.

Members who have read this thread: 0