P-Stone Zone....- Mtbr.com
    JAK
    mtbr member

P-Stone Zone....

Howdy my BigSky Kin-

Anybody out there know what the snow is like in the area?? With this tropical weather we are having, I am wondering about our Northern Desert Zone...Anybody know?

Thanks
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    Howdy my BigSky Kin-

Anybody out there know what the snow is like in the area?? With this tropical weather we are having, I am wondering about our Northern Desert Zone...Anybody know?

Thanks
    It was freezing rain at the resorts yesterday, really warm today. 58 in Bozeman, a new record. I might be hitting pipestone tomorrow, but I don't know what the wheather is like out there. I bet there isn't much snow and it will be in the 60's . I'm currently trying to find some more info before I make the drive.

John

JAK
    mtbr member

sounds nice...

Quote Originally Posted by jparker164
    It was freezing rain at the resorts yesterday, really warm today. 58 in Bozeman, a new record. I might be hitting pipestone tomorrow, but I don't know what the wheather is like out there. I bet there isn't much snow and it will be in the 60's . I'm currently trying to find some more info before I make the drive.

John

Hey-

Let me know how your ride was. Hope it was nice. It sure is looking like a riding weekend for me and P-Stone would be a hoot!

adios
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

Salad Days

At least it was warm

Things were either exceptionally sticky mud or snow. Apparently they must have gotten a lot of precip from the last storm, there is more snow up there than Bozeman. I doubt it will be ridable for another week or so if this warm weather keeps up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

Too bad...

Thanks for the report JP. I was thinking about taking a trip to the Pipes on Saturday. Guess I'll have to drink myself into a stupor mourning the s*$%y ski season and muddy conditions instead.
    Later
    James

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by SciBot
    Thanks for the report JP. I was thinking about taking a trip to the Pipes on Saturday. Guess I'll have to drink myself into a stupor mourning the s*$%y ski season and muddy conditions instead.
    Later
    James
    good call, this **** sucks. tomorrow is a day of drinking at big sky until the skiing is good. ****ing global warming.

stone cold lampin'
    I think I'm going to try a Sunday ride at the Stone, primarily staying on the lower trails. If you see someone on a pumpkin orange Rock Hopper be sure to say hi.

Salad Days
    skiing was really fun, just like spring. Plus I did the scariest chute of the year and lived (the specks are people) The new board is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

x post

I just posted the following over in Passion (wow, I never new there were regional discussion boards) and while JP's picks have me rethinking my riding plans the requested info would still be nice.

PS JP is that one of the Gullies? Looks a bit bony at the top but I'm surprised how much snow is still there. Maybe I'll head to Big Sky this weekend.

"I was wondering if anyone out there has ridden Pipestone very much and has info on different trail options. The snowboarding isn't so good right now and I've heard of some folks riding the Pipestone trails. I'm thinking of doing the same but I only know of one loop (with a couple short spurs/side loops) and I'm kinda board with it.

The ride I usually do starts at the RR tracks and heads south toward the highway for a short distance then follows (another set of?) RR track for a while then down a hill (recently "sanatized" with sharp football sized rocks) before crossing a stream. Eventually you wind past the old quarry then climb and descend to a deralict cabin, climb some more and then bomb down a variety of jeep/ATV roads back to the car. It's about 22 miles total.

Any other ideas? I've heard of trails by the spires campground but I've never been there.

Salad Days
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T
    I just posted the following over in Passion (wow, I never new there were regional discussion boards) and while JP's picks have me rethinking my riding plans the requested info would still be nice.

PS JP is that one of the Gullies? Looks a bit bony at the top but I'm surprised how much snow is still there. Maybe I'll head to Big Sky this weekend.

"I was wondering if anyone out there has ridden Pipestone very much and has info on different trail options. The snowboarding isn't so good right now and I've heard of some folks riding the Pipestone trails. I'm thinking of doing the same but I only know of one loop (with a couple short spurs/side loops) and I'm kinda board with it.

The ride I usually do starts at the RR tracks and heads south toward the highway for a short distance then follows (another set of?) RR track for a while then down a hill (recently "sanatized" with sharp football sized rocks) before crossing a stream. Eventually you wind past the old quarry then climb and descend to a deralict cabin, climb some more and then bomb down a variety of jeep/ATV roads back to the car. It's about 22 miles total.

Any other ideas? I've heard of trails by the spires campground but I've never been there.

That is gully #2 Definately bony up top, and icy below. The coverage there is not much below average in the shade, but non-existant in the sun. I've never seen so much dirt in the winter. I had a blast up there last friday though, as I have said before. The YC has been good all week, in a spring corn kind of way.

The usual ride I do is different, head north from where the road crosses the tracks till the nat. forest boundary, then west till the singletrack crosses ther road then south to the tracks, east and back to the tracks. Only 15 miles or so I think. I''m probably heading down tomorrow to see how it looks.
    Last edited by jparker164; 01-29-2005 at 09:15 AM. Reason: none of your damn business

stone cold lampin'
    dir-T,
    The maze of trails at Pipestone is endless. I've been exploring the area for about a dozen years and I'm constantly finding new things. I rode there yesterday and the trails were great. We put together an 11 mile loop that started at the main parking area by the tracks and looped up above Spire Rock. The trails that get sun were perfect, but it was a bit icy in the trees. It made for some pretty scary moments, but the whole ride was great.

If you want a decent reference, these maps are a good place to start.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/b-d/deis/sco..._pipestone.pdf
    The black line is I-90, the yellow line is the main road (Delmoe Lk Rd), and the blue line is the railroad tracks. It's hard to get lost as long as you know where you are relative to the RR tracks, the main road, or Spire Rock. Just find some area you want to explore and go for it. The best sections on the map are H, A, and B. Or if you like I can send you a map I put together that shows everything from Homestake to Pipestone to Delmoe Lake. The map is a bit tough to follow at first, but it's better than nothing.

If we don't get snow this week I'll probably be there next weekend. I'd be glad to hook up on a ride with any of ya'll.

Salad Days
    I'll be up there if it doesn't snow. I'm not sure what day I'll have off yet though.

mtbr member

some other time

Jeebs, I'd love to take you up on the offer but it'll have to wait. I leave for my honeymoon in the Cooke Islands this Friday (I just can't stop telling people about it, sorry). Hopefully when I get back we'll have gotten some snow.

stone cold lampin'
    dir-t,
    Congratulations... and have fun. The trails will still be there when you get back.

mtbr member
    Jeebs...Parker , i'm planning on coming over UNLESS it gets crappy. Mind showing Hamilton folk around ? I may bring a friend or two...maybe three.

Sorry i haven't called Parker, but the shop has been kinda busy since it's practically spring !! haha

later fellas

Chad
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

stone cold lampin'
    Chad... I'd be glad to show you around.. and bring as many as you can. We still wouldn't be able to drown out the sound of the motorbikes. Saturday would probably be the best bet for me. It looks like there's supposed to be some weather this weekend, but a little snow wouldn't be so bad. Pipestone is in a pretty good rain shadow, so sometimes when it's snowing in Butte it's dry at Pipestone. Sunday might be a ski day if we get a few inches. I know at least a couple folks that would be up for a Saturday ride.