Owyhees in couple of weeks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Owyhees in couple of weeks

We're hoping to escape the snow in couple of weeks by coming to Boise. We plan to ride the foothills, but I keep hearing about the Owyhees. Will they be rideable- usual disclaimer about bad weather? I thought I had seen someone posting pics of riding it a couple of weeks ago. Is there camping near by or, better yet, somewhere between there and Boise? Oh yeah any trail info-like what to ride- would be appreciated.

Archie,
    loving the snow but looking for a bit of dry dirt

mtbr member
    where's the snow? i still need to get a few more bc days in this year before i hang up the split.

footies should be nice in a couple weeks. really nice.

owyhees..someone chime in. in don't venture to the 2C and 2O often.

Hi!!!
    Some options are to camp at Givens Hot Springs (but it's $20/day...includes showers and swimming):
    http://www.givenshotsprings.com/

Or camp at Celebration Park (couple of $'s):
    http://www.canyoncounty.org/parks_recreation.php

Lot of the Owyhees is BLM land so you could theoretically plop your tent or RV wherever you wish out there......

If you are staying in Boise, I'd just do a daytrip out there and not worry about camping.

Your best bet is to try to hook up with some of the WC regulars like impdude, Nels or mtnbkr98. I'm there often too, but don't know any of the names and tend to stick with shorter, more familiar rides under 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Is there any trail info on the web?

I've done some looking around, but can't seem to find any detailed trail info. The wife isn't so hot on venturing into areas to with out the info. Or are the trails well marked?

Archie

ps- the snow on the eastern side of the state is OK, right now, better get some while it last. Forecast is for 40-50 deg in the valley for the next week or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I've done some looking around, but can't seem to find any detailed trail info. The wife isn't so hot on venturing into areas to with out the info. Or are the trails well marked?

Archie

ps- the snow on the eastern side of the state is OK, right now, better get some while it last. Forecast is for 40-50 deg in the valley for the next week or so.
    best bet is to go with someone that knows the area. there are many interlocking singletrack, game track, fireroads, etc... one can easily get lost for hours out there... the trails, at least the super-fun trails, are not signed.

be careful out there...

Hi!!!
    The only real "official" trail info that I know of is from this book:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

The only ride for Wilson Creek that is listed is the "Mini Moab Loop" (?). I have a thread on this from a couple of years ago if you do a quick search. It's a ride up Wilson Creek Road and then you come back down to one of the parking lots. You do it in a counter-clockwise fashion.

Other than that....you need to do some combo of the following....
    * Gather as much info about the place through numerous threads around here.
    * Ask a Wilson Creek veteran or better yet ride with one. I ride out there, but am not familiar with the names of the trails out there and I tend to stay within an area I am familiar with since my rides ain't long. There are roads and trails out there that are numbered, but from what I can gather...there is no publicly available map out there that would correspond to the trail/road numbers.
    * Try to make sense of the maps you can get from the BLM website. To me those maps look like a plate of spaghetti. No numbers or names. Just a bunch of squiggly lines.
    * Just go out there and explore. That's what I did a couple of years ago. IMNSHO, unless you are really dumb, I don't think you can get truly really lost out there. As long as you know where several major landmarks are like Wilson Peak, Reynolds Canyon, Wilson Creek Road, the feedlot/Highway 78/Snake River is...you are good to go.

With all that being said.....the weather this week and next will be great and alot of the trails in the lower foothills will be great. If I were you, I'd just stick around Boise while you are over here.

Have fun!

Nick

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanx for the guidance

As soon as the schdules permit I'll be heading toward Boise for as littele bit of relaxation. Probably midweek as I work weekends-gottat love riding while everyone else is at work ;-). I alittle confused though- are the owyhees worth a drive. Or should we stick to the foothills and what not. They seem to be mostly dry(from what I read) and we will only be in town for two nights, so 4, maybe 5, rides max. What say the people? I do love exploring new stuff and We've been to the foothills twice now (and loved it).

Archie

Members who have read this thread: 0