Outside Bozeman 'Shop Rat rant'- Mtbr.com
    HotHB
    Apr 2007

Outside Bozeman 'Shop Rat rant'

http://outsidebozeman.com/magazine.p...articleID=1532

ah yes... the reason bozeman bike shops will never again get my business. I will shop at REI before I talk to one of you surly no-skilled, wannabe bikers.

Eat More Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMT
    ah yes... the reason bozeman bike shops will never again get my business. I will shop at REI before I talk to one of you surly no-skilled, wannabe bikers.
    "Bring me your problems and I will cure them. You need to feel the freedom again, and that bicycle has just been sitting in the garage for too long. It needs some love, which I can provide, and then it will take you to great places. Just don't ask me for a hug."

Ya, sure sounds like a jerk.

mtbr member
    Rock on MikeyMT.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Westrider7
    "Bring me your problems and I will cure them. You need to feel the freedom again, and that bicycle has just been sitting in the garage for too long. It needs some love, which I can provide, and then it will take you to great places. Just don't ask me for a hug."

Ya, sure sounds like a jerk.

its more comical than anything. The shops here have little commitment to customer service, and their slumping sales reflect that. I want to fix your bike, but I'm going to be a dick while I do it...riiight.

beater
    I like that the voice of True Honesty prefers to remain anonymous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Bozeman Shops Suck

Have to agree with MikeyMT, the shop scene in bozeman is pretty weak. I believe there was an earlier thread expounding the "virtues" of Bangtail bikes as well as the other shop in town "Slummit." Its pretty sad that there are no real alternatives to the crappy situation we have here besides not letting them touch your bike, which is probably the SAFEST alternative (no really, Bangtail installed the front and rear nevagals on by bike backwards which is pretty hard to do considering the tread pattern, writing on the drive side, and the arrow indicating direction so I can only imagine that more complex fixes are a little mentally taxing for the bunch). Summit is pretty good except for the fact that they toss your tuned bike into a pile of bikes with reckless abandon and the fact that they are pro-wilderness to the point of being lumped into the category of hikers. I will say however that the people themselves are pretty nice and easy enough to get along with but I think they need a reminder of what exactly customer service is. I apologize for the rant.

P.S. Summit, you guys need to figure out if you are with the bike community or against it, because it is getting hard to justify giving you guys my money if you are only going to turn around and advocate that "sometimes you need to slow down" ergo create wilderness in prime recreation spots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't think the sucky mentality is limited to bike shops, but then again I didn't move to MT for the customer service (or gardening season...)

I've had good luck lately @ Roundhouse (warranty 2 yo SRAM shifters) but they can be hit or miss too.

Is dang happy!

Thought it was funny...

Taken tongue and cheek.
    I have never set foot in a boozangles bike shop but if you love bikes and happen to go to hell you will be greeted by a mountain of crap is just like that which customers dump on your LBS's doorstep everyday.

It will be a Walmart MGX pulled out the river and reassembled mechanically inept hipster at the co-op with worn out parts from a 1970's Peugot. This will go on until your love of bikes and humanity is crushed at which point you may get surly and dream of universe without bikes or even worse slap a motor on a bicycle and drive into the ocean.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

jones'in
    Yep.

About once a year I give the local bike shops a shot at my business and they fail miserably every time. This year it was an opportunity to bleed a set of Codes and rebuild one of the levers. By the time I got the bike back (with a shitty bleed on one side), the lever that was working when I took it in had been completely disassembled and put back together......and.....drumroll.....no longer working either. I was offered an opportunity to wait 3 weeks for a lever rebuild kit to be ordered (the same kit I could have here in 2 days from fleaBay). I passed on the opportunity.

I spend a sh*tload of money on bike parts every year (thousands), being the gear whore that I am. Every time I go into a bike shop and try to haggle, I get the finger (retail). If I felt like a local shop was even remotely interested in my business (even at prices notably higher than what I can find online), they'd have a loyal customer in me...and one that would bring them plenty of business.

Alas, I've now amassed a decent collection of bike tools and rarely buy bike parts locally. Oh well.......

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Gotta say that when I was in bozeman last year and needed mechanical help, Bangtail did a fantastic job of helping me out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Gotta say if you are paying a shop to put your tires on for you, there probably is a bigger issue than the shop getting the tires reversed.

HotHB
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slowlane
    Gotta say if you are paying a shop to put your tires on for you, there probably is a bigger issue than the shop getting the tires reversed.

lol.

I for one do not buy the argument that 'people bring in **** bikes all the time and demand unreasonable things'

have you ever had a real job? Thats pretty much every job in the world, especially a service job that is customer facing. People are idiots, don't know ****, and expect results instantly, thats why they come to see you for the services you provide...if you don't like it, find another job or truly be a bro and live out of your van or some ********.

I just hope threads like this get read by LBS owners and push some sort of positive change in the bike community here. Nobody wants their bike in the shop, they wanna be riding it...

Is dang happy!

?

lol.

I for one do not buy the argument that 'people bring in **** bikes all the time and demand unreasonable things'
    You should spend a day at the LBS and look at the repair fleet.

lol
    have you ever had a real job? Thats pretty much every job in the world, especially a service job that is customer facing. People are idiots, don't know ****, and expect results instantly, thats why they come to see you for the services you provide...if you don't like it, find another job or truly be a bro and live out of your van or some ********.
    I read this as "people are idiots" but as a bike mechanic you should kiss ass because you are just a bike mechanic ie. (not a "real" job) kind of like a 16 year old bussboy or dishdog at the greasy spoon down the street with no technical skills.

What is your profession and how much value do you add to the community?
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    they are a mechanical tool which is prone to being broke down especially when said tool is used and used often, that is what a bike mechanic Is for to fix em, if like any profession they find themselves unable, or unwilling to do the chosen profession please exit kindly.

I read this as "people are idiots" but as a bike mechanic you should kiss ass because you are just a bike mechanic ie. (not a "real" job) kind of like a 16 year old bussboy or dishdog at the greasy spoon down the street with no technical skills.
    Its called customer service, those who give the best will continue to grow and have a strong client/referral base which to continue to expand up, forget that and you stay a hole in the wall shop, remember it and you expand with reckless abandon.

mtbr member

You would be surprised what MikeyMT does... Ill let him tell you if he wants.

Our LBS gives their employees health coverage and pays them quite well. All their mechanics have worked their 10+ years and have families. For some it is a real job and they should treat it as so. Some are skilled and some are idiots.

HotHB
    Apr 2007

Blurr already made the relevant points here.

It's a 'real' job or whatever you want to call it, thats the point - it's not all lollipops and candy canes, just like any 'real' job. Sure, sometimes you get to work on nice bikes that have been taken care of and deal with nice people who know their stuff...but that is rare, just just like in any other 'real' job. If being a tech is ruining your love of bikes...get the hell out of there.

What I do is irrelevant, what I am capable of doing (keeping the money I make in the community I live in) is - and these guys make it harder and harder to do so.

jones'in
    What I do is irrelevant, what I am capable of doing (keeping the money I make in the community I live in) is - and these guys make it harder and harder to do so.
    That about sums it up.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

BMX:Our Shining Future

Owenhouse Hard Wear

There on main streeet. It's not considered "coool" as it is a schwinnn shop. But the mechanics are tops and the manager is tooo. A+. There is some new shop down by wal mart. The dude might be a goood mechanic (reputed to be so) but my starz 'n garters he drove me out of the shop in lesss than sixty seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    There is some new shop down by wal mart. The dude might be a goood mechanic (reputed to be so) but my starz 'n garters he drove me out of the shop in lesss than sixty seconds.

I like that he's after the niche of folks who may otherwise buy a bike at Walmart and then be tunred off of the sport as a consequence - but he is asking 50 cents more for an inner tube than anywhere else in town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sounds ripe for a new shop... hmmm.

-Schmitty-

jalepenio jimenez

sacre merde, my hanger just broke off...

like most of us, I enjoy working on my own bike and keeping things running smooth, and because it's always maintained to my standards, breakdowns are pretty non-existent (occassional flat) but nothing major.
    I've got my tools and will help out my friends and fam, but I would hate to have to work on someone I don't knows bike, especially if it's a piece. That's where shop mechanics find their niche. Kind of like river boat captain, baby sitting the clientel who can barely wipe their own......but have the money to pay someone else to.
    Don't envy either, but can appreciate their frustration and dedication.
    I'm sure those shop rats appreciate a nice bike coming in to get a tune or part changed out. Probably when they do their best work.
    ...and speaking of wrenching, the mailman just delivered my new XT cassette and crank...time to get to work.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho
    Still kick'n after being knocked down, drugged out, and bent over - thanks MSTI...you rock.

Members who have read this thread: 0