Ouch..Hulls Gulch Kicked My ASS TONIGHT!- Mtbr.com
    Wandervans

Ouch..Hulls Gulch Kicked My ASS TONIGHT!

It was a nice evening for a night ride, so I eqiuped the titus and got the dog ready and then headed to Camelsback Park. I rode up most of the freeway with no light, the moon is just starting to come back now! I can't wait till full moon and no lights. Well we made it to the top of sidewinder and I suited up for the downhill, on goes the jacket and such. First crash of the night was on sidewinder going way to fast trying to keep up with the dog who was cutting the corners. Then to the top of hulls and down Hulls and this is where the excitment began. It did not occurr to me that Hulls would be that icy and boy was I suprised! First time I went down so fast I did not even know what hit me, slid across some rocks and tore open my tights, a little blood too. I thought it would get better, but it did not and my next crash was a really nice header off the trail and into the bushes. Scraped the arm on that one, of course the whole time the dog is wondering what the hell is wrong with me. I crawled down hulls and avoided any more crashes, but I think that is the first time hulls ever has caused me to draw blood!

Time to break out the studded tires I guess, this falling thing hurts!

My advice is to stay on the ridges and you will be fine, the creek drainages have some nice hidden ice at night

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How's the Titus? Scratched? Are you over the new bike euphoria where hurting it hurts more than the actual crash?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilycook
    Scraped the arm on that one, of course the whole time the dog is wondering what the hell is wrong with me.
    The good think about black riding clothes, is you can't see the blood seeping through. I've got scars from some of the times I've tried to ride through the hike-a-bike on Hull's. Broke a seatpost there once too.

Justen

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Ouch I hate when that happens

Time to break out the studded tires I guess

Chris
    In case you hadn't got them yet, I saw that Bike Nashbar had studded tires on sale here

I've had two good wrecks in Hulls -both in the summer.

One was when someone had stopped just around the blind corner to take off her sunglasses and I plowed into her from behind. Her bad for stopping where she did. I got a got a big juicy raspberry on my knee from that one.

The other time was when I was practicing trackstands on the rocky sections and I tipped over into some wild roses. It hurt more extracting myself from the thorns than the actual spill. It was a whole new kind of off-road rash!

I hope the Titus is ok and your mind&body mend quickly.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

Wandervans

Permantly Dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    How's the Titus? Scratched? Are you over the new bike euphoria where hurting it hurts more than the actual crash?
    I can't even tell if I have scratched the bike yet. I find it so hard to keep the bike clean int he wintertime since hosing the bike down is always such a cold activity. Still a dream to ride thought!
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCrank
    In case you hadn't got them yet, I saw that Bike Nashbar had studded tires on sale here

I've had two good wrecks in Hulls -both in the summer.

One was when someone had stopped just around the blind corner to take off her sunglasses and I plowed into her from behind. Her bad for stopping where she did. I got a got a big juicy raspberry on my knee from that one.

The other time was when I was practicing trackstands on the rocky sections and I tipped over into some wild roses. It hurt more extracting myself from the thorns than the actual spill. It was a whole new kind of off-road rash!

I hope the Titus is ok and your mind&body mend quickly.
    We should start a thread on the morons encountered while riding. Not saying that the woman who stopped on a blind corner is a moron... okay, she is, but I mean really stupid things we've come across on our rides.

Of course none of us have done anything idiotic.

Hi!!!
    I'm always afraid I'm gonna get pitched into those!!!

Hoops - Big and Small

Ride up frozen Hulls (hills) first!

I was lucky enough to ride up first to find out how slippery it was, then when I returned down Hulls I kept it slow. No crashes, just a little sliding - which was a hoot - as I was sliding into an uphill section.

King of the Barneys

Yowcheewowwa...

It was a nice evening for a night ride, so I eqiuped the titus and got the dog ready and then headed to Camelsback Park. I rode up most of the freeway with no light, the moon is just starting to come back now! I can't wait till full moon and no lights. Well we made it to the top of sidewinder and I suited up for the downhill, on goes the jacket and such. First crash of the night was on sidewinder going way to fast trying to keep up with the dog who was cutting the corners. Then to the top of hulls and down Hulls and this is where the excitment began. It did not occurr to me that Hulls would be that icy and boy was I suprised! First time I went down so fast I did not even know what hit me, slid across some rocks and tore open my tights, a little too. I thought it would get better, but it did not and my next crash was a really nice header off the trail and into the bushes. Scraped the arm on that one, of course the whole time the dog is wondering what the hell is wrong with me. I crawled down hulls and avoided any more crashes, but I think that is the first time hulls ever has caused me to draw !

My advice is to stay on the ridges and you will be fine, the creek drainages have some nice hidden ice at night

Chris
    I've still got a messed up left thumb joint from a frozen biff on a Hulls night ride several weeks ago. Don't even think there was any ice. But I catapulted pretty good just the same. heal quick.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

shoulda ridden Tablerock!

Chris - Sorry to hear of the mishap. I was thinking of riding Hulls/Freeway yesterday AM, but instead stayed closer to home and rode Tablerock/Castlerock. No snow, ice, or idiots on the trail - just frozen hard dirt, some hikers, a couple of dogs and unbelieveable traction.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Sorry bout the crashing; at least you guys are riding now!

It was a nice evening for a night ride, so I eqiuped the titus and got the dog ready and then headed to Camelsback Park. I rode up most of the freeway with no light, the moon is just starting to come back now! I can't wait till full moon and no lights. Well we made it to the top of sidewinder and I suited up for the downhill, on goes the jacket and such. First crash of the night was on sidewinder going way to fast trying to keep up with the dog who was cutting the corners. Then to the top of hulls and down Hulls and this is where the excitment began. It did not occurr to me that Hulls would be that icy and boy was I suprised! First time I went down so fast I did not even know what hit me, slid across some rocks and tore open my tights, a little blood too. I thought it would get better, but it did not and my next crash was a really nice header off the trail and into the bushes. Scraped the arm on that one, of course the whole time the dog is wondering what the hell is wrong with me. I crawled down hulls and avoided any more crashes, but I think that is the first time hulls ever has caused me to draw blood!

Chris
    I been sick for 9 days, just starting to clear up now

Wandervans

home made studded tires

I think I will make some of my own studded tires, I just use screws from home depot and an old tube as a liner to prevent the screw heads from cutting the tubes. I think $75 might be a little too steep for a single studded tire from nashbar.
    Live to ride!
    16 Diamond Back DB8

wandervans.com

TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER

Cost too much

$75 might be a little too steep for a single studded tire from nashbar.
    Yeah, the price seemed a bit steep to me too, especially for the amount of riding I do during ski season. I know flipinidaho rides his all winter but he doesn't do ski time.

Let us know how the homegrown studs work - I've been considering doing the same on some old tires but it seems by the time I get serious about it, the snow's all melted.
    Nobody cares what kind of bike you ride.

King of the Barneys

Thanks, a coupla dry days, &

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Chris - Sorry to hear of the mishap. I was thinking of riding Hulls/Freeway yesterday AM, but instead stayed closer to home and rode Tablerock/Castlerock. No snow, ice, or idiots on the trail - just frozen hard dirt, some hikers, a couple of dogs and unbelieveable traction.
    I'll head over to TR. I have to ride fairly smooth stuff,since I can't grip the bar much with my left hand. Been riding the NS of Vancouver and other awesome spots from my trainer & tv. Now my teenaged daughter has me on an accountability program where we both keep each other progressing in our fitness goals.
    May your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous, leading to the most outrageous adventures. Paladin